Umbra - A New Hack-and-Slash RPG Game

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
Umbra is a new hack-and-slash RPG game from a developer called Solarfall Games, and thanks to Black Rune I now have a new game trailer from GDC 2015 to share.

Umbra melds much-loved hack-and-slash gameplay with state-of-the-art graphics, and underpins it all with a truly modern AI. Inspired by the classic Diablo 2 game, Umbra aims to deliver an intense and rich action RPG game. Personalization of your character build is free, deep and highly customizable, and many secret are hidden in the world
More information.

Last edited:
dont understand why people waste resources on stuff inferior to poe

I am always happy to try another good aRPG. I just hope this will not be another Van Helsing level crap. Or be super ultra mega grindy like PoE.

The only way I can see a game like this being playable is if you weren't just restricted to the "generic bland dude protagonist" trope, and you could at least have a choice between one of a few characters, or make your own. o.o;

I must admit it really looks good. Unfortunately my times where I liked Diablo-styled games are long gone. :)

@Aubrielle
Cheers for 1.000! ;)

It looks and sounds good to me.
I hope it's not a waste of time and resources.
If we look it that way than PoE was a waste and inferior to Diablo 2. Or?
I like PoE, it is very good.
Although, many ARPG's have been made recently and rarely a few was good and worthy of playing.
I'm excited to see where this one goes and waiting for Grim Dawn, also the 4th act in PoE.

Neither PoE or GD have Fireball or Teleport. I hope this game has it :)

Also I still want a Diablo 1 type Chain Lightning in some aRPG.

PoE does have Fireball and fireball totems if one wants. And there is a teleport spell as well don't know how it is called, but I might be wrong on this one.

Chain Lightning would be good to use. :)

PoE does have Fireball and fireball totems if one wants. And there is a teleport spell as well don't know how it is called, but I might be wrong on this one.

Chain Lightning would be good to use. :)

No it does not have fireball or teleport. It has a firebolt that they call a fireball, it is pathetic.
And their teleport version is pathetic and it meant more for offense than defense or changing positions and like most of the skills in PoE, needs you to grind for it to become even remotely useful.

The graphics look really nice but Diablo combat with hoards of monsters is not for me.

I like small tactical battles.

The only way I can see a game like this being playable is if you weren't just restricted to the "generic bland dude protagonist" trope, and you could at least have a choice between one of a few characters, or make your own. o.o;

They did say no class restrictions so they may give you what you are looking for. I thought this looked surprisingly good, but I really like ARPGs.

No it does not have fireball or teleport. It has a firebolt that they call a fireball, it is pathetic.
And their teleport version is pathetic and it meant more for offense than defense or changing positions and like most of the skills in PoE, needs you to grind for it to become even remotely useful.

Hmm, well yes, guess you are right. Never used does kind of gems so don't know them well(not into spell based character). Never played as Witch or Templar. To me Templar's look ridiculous. :)
And, well, my characters look like a peasant compered to some (almost all)…when in party's they all go explosively wild, while I pick up the scraps. :)
The grinding is annoying as hell, there is too much of it. I like to loot, but…
Anyway I did enjoy the game, the only MMORPG that I like. And I quite dislike online games.

When Arc skill gem arrived in PoE I was ready to forgive PoE for lack of Fireball and Teleport but soon after figured out using Arc as main skill was pathetic without lots of grinding, trading (usually with real money) or luck as you needed 20% quality skill gems to make it good. Bah, frack that game. Lost too many hours playinggrinding just to have any fun.

@Archangel - Sad to hear that you had little fun with the game.
My last character Scion turned to be good, of course it can be a lot better.
And played Map's with my cousin which turned to be somewhat fun, specially the unique Map's. :)
Don't know if you know...a lvl. 20 gem+gemcutter's prism, gives a 20% quality gem. Or so I have been told.

lvl 20 gem takes lots of grinding with a character that already needs that gem to be able to do that or buy such a gem with real money. it is the egg and chicken problem.

I am happy with GD instead of PoE. Both games lack Fireball, teleport and chain lightning but at least GD is fun to play.

Thank you Black Rune for bringing my attention to Umbra as I do enjoy playing Hack & Slash games ever since the original Diablo came out when I was a child.

Seems the game is also using the CryEngine. Now hopefully the developer doesn't require you to be online to play like Blizzard did with Diablo III, and Battle.net.

Thank you Black Rune for bringing my attention to Umbra as I do enjoy playing Hack & Slash games ever since the original Diablo came out when I was a child.

Seems the game is also using the CryEngine. Now hopefully the developer doesn't require you to be online to play like Blizzard did with Diablo III, and Battle.net.

Thank you Couchpotato for sharing and for all your hard work.

I really hope that they don't go "Blizzard" on us. That would ruin the whole thing!
But for now they got my attention. A good ARPG is always welcome.

I am always happy to try another good aRPG. I just hope this will not be another Van Helsing level crap.

Van Helsing looks better than this. At least VH is funny and has some charm.

Back
Top Bottom