Pillars of Eternity - Thoughts & Impressions

You're only a fangirl if - when the flaws become evident, down the line - you STILL insist they're not there.

That's what separates the fangirl from the rational girl. The willful ignorance part :)

Being in love is wonderful. It's staying with the wrong person after the love part is over that's the problem.

Friendly bet - If I've fallen out of love with it in six months and have started to see writhing maggots under the face of my beloved PoE, I will totally say "a winner is you!". I could even give you a free copy of Torchlight if you want it. xD

But somehow I doubt it. I fell this hard for Oblivion when I first started playing (and modding) it, and it's still absolutely one of my favorite RPG's ever.

Also, in real life love, I don't give lightly, and when I fall in love, I stay in love. Momentary infatuation is for flakes. ;) So this is probably for keeps!

Friendly bet - If I've fallen out of love with it in six months and have started to see writhing maggots under the face of my beloved PoE, I will totally say "a winner is you!". I could even give you a free copy of Torchlight if you want it. xD

But somehow I doubt it. I fell this hard for Oblivion when I first started playing (and modding) it, and it's still absolutely one of my favorite RPG's ever.

Also, in real life love, I don't give lightly, and when I fall in love, I stay in love. Momentary infatuation is for flakes. ;) So this is probably for keeps!

The best way to maintain love is to recognise the flaws in your partner and accept them as part of an overall great package.

Ignoring them will only get you in trouble, once the illusion of perfection breaks.

Trust me, I speak from experience ;)

Same goes for PoE. You'll end up being frustrated, because being in denial about significant flaws will lead to burn-out. Dealing with them as soon as they become evident makes the experience much less of a hassle, because you're not using your mental resources to block out the obvious issues. You just accept them as part of an overall great package, which is what I think PoE is - so far :)

Okay the combat in this game is really taking away from the game itself. I am almost at the point of deleting it complete from my system.

If I stop commands, I want them stopped!!!! I don't need someone in my party to run off into an area that is still covered inviting more to the fight.

DO:S and I hate to bring it up, I had ZERO issues. Even if the combat was hard at times it your party did what you wanted them too...

For those having trouble dealing with chaos and confusion in big fights, zoom into the cluster$%^& and also look at your combat log. It helps to clear things up, especially if you have certain of the autopause options selected. It does make the combat rather herky jerky, but at least it's understandable and controllable.

It is funny you say that, because I am thinking about the same ... I mean, look at some of the favorite games on these forums:
- Gothic 2
- Gothic 3 (!)
- Divine Divinity
- Divinity 2
- Arcanum
- Vampire: Bloodlines

... we love them, and yet ALL of them still have a good chunk of bugginess at least a decade after release. I would easily understand someone quitting Gothic 2 or Arcanum over the issues, just like I would PoE. At the same time the 'lack of flawlessness' doesn't mean a game isn't lovable :)

I mean, we're not dealing with Dungeon Lords here or anything! haha

It is funny you say that, because I am thinking about the same … I mean, look at some of the favorite games on these forums:
- Gothic 2
- Gothic 3 (!)
- Divine Divinity
- Divinity 2
- Arcanum
- Vampire: Bloodlines

… we love them, and yet ALL of them still have a good chunk of bugginess at least a decade after release. I would easily understand someone quitting Gothic 2 or Arcanum over the issues, just like I would PoE. At the same time the 'lack of flawlessness' doesn't mean a game isn't lovable :)

I mean, we're not dealing with Dungeon Lords here or anything! haha

Right??! And people are b*tching about bugs?

Boom.

tumblr_inline_mh7itf1DqI1qk3rby.gif

Well in fairness an inability to load save games a week after release is worth complaining about imo :p

Obsidian's biggest issue is their lack of communication about the patch. Slow is fine, but for the love of common business sense use some official communication to address it.

Oh no, I absolutely agree. Right now I know it's got some fairly serious ones. I haven't personally encountered them yet, but all of you have, and I know it's only a matter of time till I do. I'm also hoping that patch will come in the next few days. I'd really rather have it before I encounter said bugs.

But like Dart said…you take the whole package, good and bad. And rare is the game without any bugs at all. But some old favorites on here - the kind that will get you murdered for making fun of - are soooo bug ridden, way worse than PoE, even right now. ^.^

Finally got the game. I am about 6 hours in the game and from what i've seen up until now, i really like the game. The story looks ok, and i enjoy the conversations.
Turn base style would make the game better for me.

The best way to maintain love is to recognise the flaws in your partner and accept them as part of an overall great package.

Ignoring them will only get you in trouble, once the illusion of perfection breaks.

Trust me, I speak from experience ;)

Same goes for PoE. You'll end up being frustrated, because being in denial about significant flaws will lead to burn-out. Dealing with them as soon as they become evident makes the experience much less of a hassle, because you're not using your mental resources to block out the obvious issues. You just accept them as part of an overall great package, which is what I think PoE is - so far :)

Agony aunt DArtagnan? :) I think we should dedicated forum section where RPG players ask all sorts of question ranging from combat mechanics to which NPC to romance and our very own agony uncle DArtagnan dishes out advice :lol:

Agony aunt DArtagnan? :) I think we should dedicated forum section where RPG players ask all sorts of question ranging from combat mechanics to which NPC to romance and our very own agony uncle DArtagnan dishes out advice :lol:

We'll call it "Dear DArt". ;)

I know, but you can't change his position in the party roster (AFAIK). Stuff for a patch… maybe?! ;)

You can use custom formations, and also add custom group selections "RTS style".
Just select the ranger's companion and then ctrl+7-9 ( or 7-0 maybe?), to assign the shortcut, and then the number to select the pet, as you can do with 1-6 for the rest of the NPCs

I've been asked who wrote which companions a number of times recently. I'd held off answering because there was a chance that it was going to tie into some of our PR around launch time, but I believe that is no longer the case. So for those curious:
•Aloth - Carrie Patel
•Durance - Chris Avellone
•Edér - Eric Fenstermaker
•Grieving Mother - Chris Avellone
•Hiravias - Matt MacLean
•Kana Rua - Olivia Veras
•Pallegina - Josh Sawyer
•Sagani - Carrie Patel

Why am I not surprised that the most desperately starving-for-attention offbeat companions are written by Chris? :)

I wish there were more companions. :( I would have gladly have the companions in the game cut in half, content-wise, to add an additional 10 companions. More customization that way. :)

Starving for attention? Not seeing it so far… In fact one is defined by her need to hide from people. :/

I'm talking about starving for attention from the player, not the characters.

I just don't enjoy his writing that much. It seems he can't write anything that's normal - and everything must have some strange offbeat twist to it.

Obviously, that's exactly what a lot of people enjoy.

I really enjoy the down-to-earth characters, like Aloth and Eder. That's because I can relate to them :)

Patch notes are up (no def release time, just "ASAP"):

https://forums.obsidian.net/blog/7/entry-179-patch-notes-103/#commentsStart

*the two major bugs (double click armor and save/load add stats) will be fixed and fixed retroactively. Very nice.

* biggest change for my play style: "Slicken spell is now a single hit AoE" have to say I'm not loving that.

meaty patch though.

Damn. It looks like my issues aren't being addressed in this patch. :( Guess I'm not playing for awhile. :-/

Back
Top Bottom