Aloran - TB Fantasy RPG on Kickstarter

Codex already has lots of information on this and from what I read this KS was released too soon before it was ready for unknown reasons. The people behind it were on Codex asking for help and guidance with the KS pitch but released it before having time to fix anything.
Then they basically disappeared.

Codex already has lots of information on this and from what I read this KS was released too soon before it was ready for unknown reasons. The people behind it were on Codex asking for help and guidance with the KS pitch but released it before having time to fix anything.
Then they basically disappeared.

Well it was good thing they were asking question as more information is always better. Not a good thing that they have disappeared.

WE can always help them out and do a Q&A with them. What specific questions would you like to see answered?

I would like to know more about their dev credentials. Have they worked on games like this or any other games before? Have they worked in the game industry? If not, what do they do? Are they working as programmers, designers, artiest etc in the computing industry (not necessarily the game industry).

WE can always help them out and do a Q&A with them. What specific questions would you like to see answered?

Risks and challenges

We have lowered the risk by completing a large part of the games final maps and have the art content ready for the designer and programmer to work with. However we may run into unforseen production problems.

The funding goal we’ve set will allow the programmer and designer to do the work of creating a wonderful game with this art. It would have been easy to set the goal lower, but we’ve asked for exactly what we need.

Who are the programmer's? or is there only one?

A game is not based on art alone, so how did you come up with the figure of 85,000 to finish this game?

What sort of soft and hard deadlines do you have for the production of this game?

Having 4 in a party is a lot to manage on the programing side of things you have said this will let us have up to 8?

Will there be character creation or just set characters?

I am sure I have 100 more questions

Fluent is probably a kickstarters dream pledger…..

If I had lots of money, I would have funded several Kickstarters myself. Such as:

Deathfire
Serpent in the Staglands
Aloran

and probably others that I have forgotten.

For the record, I will be pledging to Aloran in a future campaign, so we'll talk about this more when the time comes.

If I had lots of money, I would have funded several Kickstarters myself. Such as:

Deathfire
Serpent in the Staglands
Aloran

and probably others that I have forgotten.

For the record, I will be pledging to Aloran in a future campaign, so we'll talk about this more when the time comes.

Why not this campaign?

Why not this campaign?

I really didn't want to say, but I will, and I hope I don't annoy Stephen by posting this.

Stephen Burns, a developer for the game, will be working on creating a demo for this game to have ready for a future pitch.

He anticipates that this current campaign will not succeed, but he is already working on creating new assets for a future campaign.

So, I will gladly give what I can when the new campaign launches.

For me, it's as simple as this. Does this look like a game I would want to play? Judging by everything that was presented for Aloran, the answer is most definitely 'yes'. I don't need to know what the developer eats for breakfast and if they have a 401k plan, or anything else about the game. I trust it will all work itself out and the end result will be a game I'd like to play.

I really didn't want to say, but I will, and I hope I don't annoy Stephen by posting this.

Stephen Burns, a developer for the game, will be working on creating a demo for this game to have ready for a future pitch.

He anticipates that this current campaign will not succeed, but he is already working on creating new assets for a future campaign.

So, I will gladly give what I can when the new campaign launches.

For me, it's as simple as this. Does this look like a game I would want to play? Judging by everything that was presented for Aloran, the answer is most definitely 'yes'. I don't need to know what the developer eats for breakfast and if they have a 401k plan, or anything else about the game. I trust it will all work itself out and the end result will be a game I'd like to play.

I just read the RPGCodex thread posted above and the developer has also stated this KS will fail so nothing to worry.

I don't need to know what he eats for breakfast but I am not rich man and my heard earned money is very precious to me so I want to make sure these guys are serious about what they are doing.

To put in another way, if I fund this KS, then I won't be funding another KS so I need to be sure they know what they are doing, thats all :)

Last edited:
For me, this project instantly hooked me, as well as some others it seems since it did manage to raise close to $2k.

I just hope the demo pleases you all when it releases in the future campaign and a game like this gets made.

I have faith in you, Stephen! =D Anyone who creates Infinity Engine art in their spare time because they truly love it is okay in my book! :nod:

For me, this project instantly hooked me, as well as some others it seems since it did manage to raise close to $2k.

I just hope the demo pleases you all when it releases in the future campaign and a game like this gets made.

I have faith in you, Stephen! =D Anyone who creates Infinity Engine art in their spare time because they truly love it is okay in my book! :nod:

If I see a demo then its instant pledge from me. No questions asked !

The linked thread further strengthens my opinion about them.

Anyways, if the end result is good I will buy the game of course. But as long as the next pitch doesn't flash me, I am unlikely to contribute.

A couple of questions to them though:
-Can you describe how the combat is intended to work? Is there any game which uses a similar system? Will it have a two action system or an AP system?

-one bulletin point was that the party can have up to 8 characters. The graphics however show that the area you are using for combat will likely be very small and narrow. Also there is hardly an isometric game which goes with 8 characters. How do you intend to make it work?

-Does rolling for the stats at character creation mean that you will have to spend hours in the character creation to get a "near optimal" character like in the old Realms of Arkania or D&D Games? Will there be an alternative? What made you decide to do so?

-The points mention talents and skills, but they don't mention classes. Will it be a class-based game? If yes, how many classes will there be?

-Can you tell us anything about character progression? Is there anything you feel is lacking in other games which you want to do better in your game?

-Will you create the whole party on your own or will you hire companions as you find them in the game world? If the latter is the case, do the characters have a personality? Own quests?

-Why did you decide to implement sprite based character models? Isn’t this making different looking characters an incredible workload while limiting the possibilities to individualize characters in the world?

-How much story and dialogue will be in the game? Is it more leaning towards story like Baldurs Gate / Pillars of Eternity, or more towards combat & exploration like Eschalon / Lords of Xulima.

-How far is the project already progressed?

-While 85k is not a lot to develop a game, it is a high goal in a kickstarter project. Comparable games struggled to even achieve smaller goals. Do you have a backup plan If you don’t reach the goal?

-The game is unity based. What made you decide to make it windows only? Shouldn't unity make it extremely easy to also port it to other operating systems?

I would love nothing more than another IE lookalike game to be made but this KS pitch is just not good enough for people with limited money.

Also I would rather back BT4 this month and I cannot back two projects in same month for sure. This Aloran would have to be crazy good to win over and by the KS it only has good art and nothing else.

Fluent there is a middle point between pessimism and great faith. I indeed find that what is on the Kickstarter page is interesting. The graphics and level design looks nice, the passion is there, and I don't think they intend to make vaporware. This, however, is a roleplaying game and you need more than graphics for a decent role playing game. You're inevitably going to have mechanics and writing and these are almost nonexistant on the Kickstarter page. If its a Dungeoncrawler, ok, but you still need a vision of the dungeons, monsters et. If its more than a Dungeon crawlers we need lore and an interesting premise for a story. The mechanics are described in bare bones terms. These are the kind of details which interest RPG players like myself.

Well, it's unnecessary discussion now, since the second campaign is going to be more polished, with a game demo and more information.

I don't need to grill these guys and ask countless questions about how it's going to work. The guy is an obsessive Infinity Engine artist and wants to create a game like the IE games.

That's all I needed to hear. :)

Well, it's unnecessary discussion now, since the second campaign is going to be more polished, with a game demo and more information.
)

Is that the finial word? We don't need to discuss it any more until this second campaign comes?

Or can we still talk about if we want to?

Love how he can pressure others to spend their HARD EARNED money but never has any of his own. Just never ends with him.

I was dying in tears of laughter in this thread, I almost can't breathe. Fluent shaming people for not pledging to a Kickstarter for a dubious isometric RPG made by a developer of third grade Bejeweled clones. Lol, come on man, get real. We're not charities, and we're actually very critical of what we do with our money and time.

I think it's time for Fluent to pucker up and order a copy of Grimoire today. :)

And of course the developer also has experience creating games.

The two games showcased on their page are:
Molipop
And Xingpop
Besides of being puzzle games, they also look incredibly cheap.
Now this of course doesn't mean they are unable to make a good game. But nothing they showed gives reason to believe that.

Last but not least: They are not greenlit on steam yet, neither they are a known publisher.
So promising a steam key for now is promise they don't have the basis for.

An indie developer must first make small games - exactly like above - to earn enough money to dream for a bigger game.

Finishing a small game is a testament to the developers ability to see projects to completion. A big game, like Aloran can still be developed in small bits, like releasing the first Act or beginning map area on Steam EA.

Back
Top Bottom