Witcher 3 - Insider on the Graphics Downgrade

it's quite simple, people wanted the game to look like the old gameplay trailers, CDPr said that those were even inferior looking to how it would look in the end.

CDPr could have been honest about it but instead they decided to turn the shitstorm to level over9000 by saying "there's absolutely no downgrade", they also had the nerve to say it was the fans who started making comparisons, when it was them who started..

End result: people get upset.

Not sure what's so hard to understand :)

See? I posted three questions at the end of my post and received an answer that's not on any of those three. :)

I have to agree with vurt. If CDPR come out and explained that it was impossible for them to produce one set of graphics for consoles and another one for PC MOST people would understand. Instead, for some reason, they started releasing different and contradictory messages.

Apparently reviewers got the day1patch today.

Expect a proper youtube vid or two later with game version 1.02 or check how it looks on ongoing stream (pretty much spoilerish boredom as it's not focused to show what's changed and again, controller is used):
http://www.twitch.tv/germandota

Also worth knowing why all those reviewers couldn't turn on hairworks so wee see it blossom (or fail?), or why they don't do ubersampling or something we know exists in files…
PCGames Hardware did some changes in .ini files manually but it had no effect in the prerelease review version:
http://www.pcgameshardware.de/The-Witcher-3-PC-237266/News/Grafikvergleich-1159205/
It's safe to suspect comfortable m/k support also doesn't exist in that version.

Last edited:
Sorry for doublepost but this is very important.

Another 1.02 stream just started:
http://www.twitch.tv/CohhCarnage

And this guy is FINALLY playing with keyboard/mouse!

You sure that option exists? :p
And will you play on K/M or joystick?

the option to change saturation is always available, either on your TV/monitor or in the graphics card settings. i'm probably gonna play using a controller since it's third person, the option to seamlessly change from sneaking/walking slow to running is superior to pressing different buttons on a keybord i think, it just feels more natural.

The live steams aren't very useful for judging graphical quality.

The PC version definitely looks superior to the PS4 version (which is said to be superior to the Xbox One version). Yes, some of the visual differences are subtle, but 60 fps vs 30 fps and less LOD pop-in are a big deal to me.

Yes that's right - the console makers pay for lunch,

Ha ha, well played, I didn't word that very well but obviously I meant console makes have the leverage not paying for lunch.

Anyway, we'll have to agree to disagree.

As for the conspiracy stuff, I wasn't posting about that. Nobody knows what went on behind closed doors so it's a moot point to argue but without all the conspiracy theories this thread would have died out long ago so I guess it's good for entertainment value.

Surprisingly, the lightning on characters looks better on PC. Far less bright (when in shade) than on console.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WNtJMJv9Pls

But PC looks overall less bright in the video so its probably down to that.

When will you guys learn to wait until you have something useful for certainty :)

I guess speculation is the fun part.

Must be my eyesight is failing or something, but I'm quite content with the graphics as currently shown for the PC version. Will check how far my gamelaptop can push it in just another day :)

When will you guys learn to wait until you have something useful for certainty :)

I guess speculation is the fun part.

Some of us just happen to be interested in graphics and want to discuss the videos, participation in those discussions are totally voluntarily, believe it or not. Also, read thread topic, might help in your guidance of which threads to avoid or which to read..

it's also a bit funny how some here seems to think we shouldnt be allowed to discuss games before release all of a sudden..

Tw3 is fully designed, from bottom to top, for consoles. Graphics are designed to be seen on a large TV set, not a PC monitor (comparatively to DAI, the large PC movements make that worse), it is meant to be played with controllers etc

The thing that might be designed for PCs: gameplay.
Streaming is not about playing video games, it is about making a show of playing video games. Sometimes, this exposes the quality of a product in a crude way.
When a streamer , staring right into his cam, bellows he enjoys nothing more than games requesting all of his attention, when a streamer announces, anime style, that he will conquer the enemy using the mighty one finger technique, sure, they have their comical effect, they also expose the weakness of the gameplay.
Now and then, streamers exhibit a product for what it is and it does not serve TW3 in this case as the gameplay is weak.

Weakness that could be sourced into selling the product to the low entry of PC players, who are short in skills.

At the moment, and up to 30 hours into it, TW3 is for poseurs, packed with cool looking abilities deprived of any meaning than making the player look cool.
Congratulations to one comment made on this site reading that the Witcher's author could be felt betrayed as he never imagined his witcher as a jedi knight, spot on with the TW3. I watched a streamer who excell at giving that jedi feel.

More likely,though, CDR projekt failed into dealing with fights in open space, on the scale of an open world. That gives the product as it is, when pressing one button is all it takes to prevail.

@Roq: If that is so then why does Microsoft (who effectively "own" the Windows PC gaming platform) make an exclusive deal with Square Enix for the next Tomb Raider for time limited exclusivity of the game on Xbone?
Let me state that again very clearly: The platform holder of Windows PC has made an exclusive deal with a third party to actively withhold a game from their very own PC customers.
What about Sony? Usually, when a console platform signs an exclusivity contract, that's to shut down the other console platform, not PCs.
By the way, Microsoft sells OSs for PCs. They sell Xboxs. It is unlikely for people not to buy a microsoft OS because a game is made exclusive to XBoxs.
But who knows? It is all subjecitve after all.
This game is a system seller.

At the moment, hardly. This would be a nice addition to a console game library for people who own already a console, buying a console to play that product, pretty unsure.
Better to stick to PC play on a lower end rig.
TW3 is also fully thought for consoles, even no graphic downgrade could hide that fact. That means that people would have to get a very expensive rig to play that in console conditions.
Too thin a segment of a market here to justify uber graphics.

Some of us just happen to be interested in graphics and want to discuss the videos, participation in those discussions are totally voluntarily, believe it or not.

it's also a bit funny how some here seems to think we shouldnt be allowed to discuss games before release all of a sudden..

Let's try not being so defensive?

I'm just amused you can't wait one more day until you have something that's actually useful for being certain of anything.

I wouldn't dream of standing in the way of your fun, though. Have at it!

Back
Top Bottom