Witcher 3 - Patch 1.07

The game holds your hand as much as you want it to. If you turn off the mini map, you have nothing but NPC directions and your Witcher senses to find stuff.

The Witcher senses make things pretty obvious once you get to the right area, but what would a good alternative be? It's an open-world game, and you have to have something to guide you.

The patch is live now btw. At least I assume that's what the 2.2 GB update was that Steam just downloaded. :)

2 Gb?! Man...
Galaxy cannot connect to GOG on my side so can't say.

I'll admit it, I love the handholding. It's never really bothered me, in TW3 or any other game. I play games to have fun, shocking I know. I find complex mechanics and exploration fun but trying to guess the right NPC to turn something in, or where that NPC was located, from a poorly worded quest log is not fun to me. If a game told me how to level up my character and distribute the stats, then I'd be mad.

I didn't care for TW2 because I felt like I was on rails ( and the QTEs, I hate QTEs ) but TW3 is open as any game I've played. It's not perfect but it's the best sandbox RPG I've ever played.

I'll admit it, I love the handholding. It's never really bothered me, in TW3 or any other game. I play games to have fun, shocking I know. I find complex mechanics and exploration fun but trying to guess the right NPC to turn something in, or where that NPC was located, from a poorly worded quest log is not fun to me. If a game told me how to level up my character and distribute the stats, then I'd be mad.

I didn't care for TW2 because I felt like I was on rails ( and the QTEs, I hate QTEs ) but TW3 is open as any game I've played. It's not perfect but it's the best sandbox RPG I've ever played.

Agree with you (and the others) as to the view that the game is great — I don't see the "handholding" issue. Geralt is a Witcher. His tracking skills are well beyond the natural level. The game uses those skills to advance quests. Don't see any problem. His monster killing skills are also extreme. No problem. It's a fantasy game. His sword skills are awesome. OK. He is a Witcher!

The footprints. No problem.

The lines to follow. Pretty much the same with all modern games of all sorts (GTA V; WatchDogs, etc). Nobody cares…

Regards to all.

__

It definitely has too much hand-holding for my tastes.

That said, it also has an impressive amount of non-generic side-quests, superb visuals, fantastic music, brilliant writing, entertaining combat, wonderful mini-games, great C&C, plausible characters, strong open world design, varied exploration, underwater treasures and so on.

In short, I can deal with some hand-holding - much of which can be disabled. However, it's clear that the game wasn't designed around having the mini-map disabled - so it's awkward to play without it.

We can't really blame them for implementing this kind of mainstream gamer element. Without helpers, they wouldn't be able to appeal to gamers like Ovenall, who prefer not to invest themselves too much and who get turned off by challenge.

I'm just happy we can get games made with this kind of passion, instead of the endless Assassin's Creeds released every 6 months.

If that means we'll have to deal with mainstream features, that's nothing new - and it's an easy sacrifice.

My biggest issue with TW3, so far, is a combination of what seems like bad balance and somewhat uneven power progression.

Even on Death March, the game becomes too easy too soon, and the cool active abilities are too few and far between. The loot, while I don't have as big a problem with it as others, could also stand a redesign.

That's about it for negatives, though - and it's clearly a masterpiece when taken as a whole.

Way, way beyond the kinds of games the baiting trolls want to compare it with, due to it having mainstream features.

This is NOT a designed-by-committee game dictated by suits. This one is from the heart.

Sounds like you decided not to wait for the patch after all. Glad to hear you're enjoying it as much as you are. :)

Let me know what your impressions of Skellige are when you get there. It's my favorite region in the game, and I suspect it'll be yours as well.

In short, I can deal with some hand-holding - much of which can be disabled. However, it's clear that the game wasn't designed around having the mini-map disabled - so it's awkward to play without it

Yes, in some larger internal spaces it was very easy to get hopelessly lost without the minimap.

Hey—even with all the hand-holding, I sometimes get lost! ;)
I'm pretty sure there is a hidden message in that line to someone.

What a great vid donatz! I agree very much with Extra Credits' synopsis of TW3. Thanks for the link!

Witcher 3 has been a lot of fun so far and I'm still nowhere near done. I do agree that there is quite a bit of hand holding in the game should you choose to use it. Twenty years ago I would have turned all the hand holding stuff off. But honestly, with a game world this large and only very small chunks of time to play, I do rely on the handholding features. I'll never finish this game in any reasonable time frame without it.

The patch is live I am pretty sure. Did anyone try the new movement yet? Really curious about that.

Back
Top Bottom