GameSpot - Writers Guild Award goes to...

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
@Gamespot they announce that the Writers Guild Award goes to Rise of the Tomb Raider. It beats out other nominees Witcher 3, Pillars of Eternity, Assassins Creed Syndicate.

And the winner is...Rise of the Tomb Raider. Square Enix's action-adventure game took home the "outstanding achievement" award for video game writing at last night's Writer's Guild Awards. It beat out The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt, Assassin's Creed Syndicate, and Pillars of Eternity for the honor.

Games were judged by a panel of Video Game Writers Caucus members and/or Writers Guild members from the video game field. Below are the official writing credits for Rise of the Tomb Raider:

Rise of the Tomb Raider:

Lead narrative designer: John Stafford
Narrative designer: Cameron Suey
Lead writer: Rhianna Pratchett
Additional writer: Philip Gelatt

Last year's winner was Naughty Dog's The Last of Us: Left Behind, written by Neil Druckmann. It beat out Alien: Isolation, Assassin's Creed Unity, and Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag - Freedom Cry.

Rise of the Tomb Raider was released for Xbox One and Xbox 360 in November 2015. The PC edition arrived in January, while a PlayStation 4 version will come out later this year.

Beyond that, Square Enix has suggested a follow-up is also in the works.
More information.

Actually I'm more surprised MGS5 wasn't even nominated.

Actually I'm more surprised MGS5 wasn't even nominated.
Just started playing MGS5 this week. While it's enjoyable the writing in no way deserves an award. As you mostly repeat the same missions with a few cut scenes thrown in.
No idea how exactly this happened. Rise of the Tomb Raider, while a great game with good/decent writing, should in no way have a chance against Witcher 3, or Pillars of Eternity. I mean, even the recent Firewatch should've beaten Rise of the Tomb Raider when it comes to writing.
Mainstream awards usually don't go to RPGs just like how Oscars are rarely given to comedy movies. Plus you have to account for the voters various ages and tastes.

Just started playing MGS5 this week. While it's enjoyable the writing in no way deserves an award. As you mostly repeat the same missions with a few cut scenes thrown in.
Is it just me or you're mixing writing with overall game design.

Then you didn't get past the hospital part much.
I understand some people hate it as it's scripted as halfhorror survival story instead of stealth attack/infiltration. That doesn't mean the game shouldn't have been at least nominated, even if it's not the best possible writing out there.

Dunno about gameplay part… I do think you gave an opinion on overall amount of grinding.

Well I'm on mission eight and have done a few side ops as of today. As I said above most missions have the same objectives, but just get more difficult as you progress.

Hopefully it gets better a I wasted two days, and have yet to play 10% of the game.

What's so great about that rise ? I thought it was just a tale about a young woman being wounded, almost crashed, heavy problems to get anywhere and so on ?
Or do I mix that with the game before that ?
I must admit that I'm not well informed at all ... :lol:

Silver! Freaking clickbait titles are bad.

This award…is laughable. Rises writing…it is just extremely generic, dime a dozen, writing.

Witcher 3's writing is amazing. I mean they wrote a bunch of dialects, expanding on the novels. There's witty, clever, and astute dialogue from start to finish.

Let's be real. Rise won because of who wrote it (edgy female author living in the shadow of her dad). YEAH, I SAID IT. I'm sorry, but it is obvious she was given the award because of her *attempt* rather than actually quality.

Do a side by side dialogue comparison of the two games, seriously. Witcher 3 MOPS THE FLOOR with Rise's painful, pedestrian blabber.

Rise:
Lara: "The Lost City is up there, somewhere."
That other guy: "That's gonna be a hell of a climb."
Lara: "I'm not turning back." [said with Lara's over-acting VO]

Witcher 3:
Just boot the game up and go talk to anyone. Literally any conversation is better than the drivel above. Or just listen to the intro. That is what real creative writing is about.

Lets be real. Gamespot stopped being relevant... about 5 years ago?

Witcher 3's writing is amazing. I mean they wrote a bunch of dialects, expanding on the novels. There's witty, clever, and astute dialogue from start to finish.

Let's be real. Rise won because of who wrote it (edgy female author living in the shadow of her dad). YEAH, I SAID IT. I'm sorry, but it is obvious she was given the award because of her *attempt* rather than actually quality.

Yes. It has female hero + female lead writer with famous name. It was probably big advantage in the eyes of the guild members.

BTW: Rhianna Pratchett is cool. She worked on Beyond Divinity and Risen! :)

The Witcher 3's writing is probably the best in any game I have played over the 3 decades I have been playing games. And this is from someone who only somewhat enjoyed The Witcher 1 and 2.

I have not yet played the latest Tomb Raider; I look forward to playing it soon but I can't imagine it has anything close to as good of writing as The Witcher 3 since very few games do.

Now we know not to take this award seriously...like the Oscars or, moreso, the Grammies. The Witcher 3 hands down. Can't take these people seriously if they say otherwise.

Yes. It has female hero + female lead writer with famous name. It was probably big advantage in the eyes of the guild members.

BTW: Rhianna Pratchett is cool. She worked on Beyond Divinity and Risen! :)
This is the problem with political correctness and corrupted feminism. Rhianna Pratchett is "best known" according to the web for writing Heavenly Sword, Mirror's Edge, and both new Tomb Raiders. All four of those are female protagonists…coincidence? I hate to say, but it is most likely she got those jobs because she is a woman…which is kind of sexist…to say a woman can write a woman lead better. Now if her writing of women characters was brilliant, then that would be another story. But all those games…are…very generic in the writing.

And now giving her this award…it makes me look like the big mean man, attacking her. I'm sure she's a really nice person who writes pretty well. But giving her game an award that it clearly did not deserve…that forces me into pointing out her flaws as a writer.

Rise of the Tomb Raider is a fine pulp story. It's juvenile, shallow, and meandering, but games like Tomb Raider can get away with that, much like Hunger Games or Maze Runner.

I really don't want to go after Rhianna…it's just…[channeling Kanye] Witcher 3's writers put so much heart and soul and brilliance into their story and dialogue…to give it to someone based on social/gender nonsense, is yet another sign of the decay of education/literature/journalism.

Man, I must be getting old…

Man, I must be getting old…

Most likely.

Only old people have the guts to have an opinion of their own that they didn't have to run thru their local tumblr social justice checker.

The Witcher 3 surely has a better story and it's better all around, but saying the award winner won only because she is a woman? Ugh. Pretty lame award choice, though.

I've felt much the same about the TV series Orphan Black; it's a Canadian production, so it barely gets noticed by U.S. media awards. For two years, Tatiana Maslany was snubbed by the Emmy Awards, which is just insane. It may be a similar situation with CD Projekt RED, which is based on Warsaw and probably doesn't receive as much attention with the U.S. voters.

Anyway, Tomb Raiders has led to a couple of movie productions, so that's probably a selling point for the Screen Writer's Guild.

Back
Top Bottom