Stardew Valley - New Indie Game

I just let my 5 year old try it. She didn't want to go to sleep as a result and wanted to keep playing it :D

A farming game? Hmm, not interested.

Weren't you supposed to say "no MMO part? Hmm, not interested." :p

Believe it or not, farming is something you'll do the least in this game.

Yep, I have the bug too. I just hit the gold levels in the mine -- finally I can upgrade my sprinklers!

I'm not feeling the love interests, though. What's with all these emo teens -- give us Linus and Marnie for those of maturer tastes.
You can buy iridium sprinkler for 5K from gypsy - not always though, it appears randomly in his cart. That item kicks arse!
Love interests are totally silly I hear you. But at least it's not an useless feature.
Pick someone randomly and definetly get married - the spouse will sometimes mend the fence, some days will feed animals instead of you, some days will water veggies and eventually you get perma energy boostitem from them.
So far I didn't see if they will go mining, woodcutting or killing mobs, but wouldn't be surprised if that happens.

The product is having such success it will influence future products. And when taking a look, devs would be commended to get influenced.

Gameplay wise, even though gameplay is a big word in this case, the product is a grinder, a grinder that works the idea that grinding puts an end to grinding. Beside grinding, little is offered to do. The player grinds to acquire means to grind more so new means to grind even more can be acquired.

It is non stop grinding and only stopping to play the product terminates the grinding effort.

Coupled with an ominous dead line, the player is embarked a race against time. Grind as much as possible, find the routine and expand it, 60 hours of mashing buttons without taking gaming decisions.

The content is extra light, and diluted through time based hard caps. Interactions are limited in a period of time so players must wait before resuming. In some cases, ten or twenty hours before being given the opportunity to try their luck. Did not catch that fish during this season? Well, you will be given chances next year to do so.
A large number of items only matter a few times, recipes are redundant and poorly designed as they replenish health, endurance and boost stats.
Want to start a farming day by eating a farming stat booster? Can do it but you waste the endurance regen.

Considering the success of the product, devs are commended to inspire themselves.

You don't really have to worry about time passing to fast. You won't be able to do everything, but that is by design not mistake.

Uh, no. Actually, worst piece of advice. The player is pitted against time in this product, the goal is to grind the more possible before the sentence hits. Everything hints at the product being designed so that each goal can be met.
Time cant be compressed, it is about grinding from 6 am to 2 am,burning the midnight oil, pressing buttons to get the most of it.

After a period of time, the player's performance is judged in a meaningful way. Players who do not embrace the grinding feature are at risk of being punished after 60~70 hours in the product. The way to mend it is to waste again 60 hours in doing the same.

Actually, the way the product is designed, a new playthrough is meant to differ for less than half an hour.

The product works in an economy of scale, the first keg only means as it provides funding for the second keg and so on until the point of reaching the 30 40 keg number and more.

There are milestones to hit and players can fall behind the curve. Players who fall behind will be judged as such.

Coupled with an ominous dead line, the player is embarked a race against time. Grind as much as possible, find the routine and expand it, 60 hours of mashing buttons without taking gaming decisions.
No.
There is at least one gamechanging decision and it's if you'll join some "big bad evil" Jojo company club, or not. This determines the fate of the community center and your ways to access rewards in form of items, resources and means to travel to initially locked areas.

There is no race against time. Unless you're trying to fastrun.
The only "race" is that you should go to sleep before 1AM. Earlygame (basically whole first year) you'll be walking away from whatever you do at 11 PM because of this, but eventually you'll unlock different teleport totems and fasttravel minecarts.

Sure, the game is grindy, but can you imagine that me, who hates grinds of any kind, loves this game? Well, there has to be something that makes grind in this game DIFFERENT than grind in Dragon Age Inquisition. What could that possibly be?

Anyway, this game won't influence future products, you didn't read my post.
This game is Sims3+WorldAdventures for poor. As such, it was the one that was influenced already by another.

But since you missed that previous post, lemme repeat one more thing. This game doesn't contain:
- virtual currencies money laundry schemes
- DLC garbageware
- season pass scamware
- pay2win microtransactions of any kind
- gambling with RL $ of any kind

So in the end maybe it's not the grinding people are after here. Maybe the reason the game is selling like a cure and is being played by thousands… Maybe. I dunno.

And a few comics:

2798.png

2796.png

2793.png

My 5 year old barely did any farming and instead ran around entering all houses, talking to everyone and spending only money in saloon :D
She is happy :)
I don't care what the game expects players to do.

No.
There is at least one gamechanging decision and it's if you'll join some "big bad evil" Jojo company club, or not. This determines the fate of the community center and your ways to access rewards in form of items, resources and means to travel to initially locked areas.

There is no race against time. Unless you're trying to fastrun.
The only "race" is that you should go to sleep before 1AM. Earlygame (basically whole first year) you'll be walking away from whatever you do at 11 PM because of this, but eventually you'll unlock different teleport totems and fasttravel minecarts.
There is a race against time. It is set by the LotR Gandalf's reference. From day one to the end of that timeline, players must grind their best to accomplish the most. Contrary to the claim made earlier, the product is designed so that efficient grinders might accomplish it all. Eventually, the performance of the player is judged meaningfully.

Fast running? No, the product is not open to fast running. Time cant be compressed in this, days must be played from 6am to 2am.
That's why it makes a difference: when judged, the only way to get a proper judgement is to play the 60~70 hours required to achieve it.
Sure, the game is grindy, but can you imagine that me, who hates grinds of any kind, loves this game? Well, there has to be something that makes grind in this game DIFFERENT than grind in Dragon Age Inquisition. What could that possibly be?
A grinder is a grinder. People who enjoy this grinder enjoy a grinder. This means they love at least one grinder and show by acts the relativity of their tastes.
Anyway, this game won't influence future products, you didn't read my post.
This game is Sims3+WorldAdventures for poor. As such, it was the one that was influenced already by another.
Considering how feeble the gameplay principles are and how well the product is selling, devs are well advice to take example, this will save them many sleepless nights, easy money is the best money.
But since you missed that previous post, lemme repeat one more thing. This game doesn't contain:
- virtual currencies money laundry schemes
- DLC garbageware
- season pass scamware
- pay2win microtransactions of any kind
- gambling with RL $ of any kind
It does not contain the hint of a gameplay.

There is a race against time. It is set by the LotR Gandalf's reference. From day one to the end of that timeline, players must grind their best to accomplish the most. Contrary to the claim made earlier, the product is designed so that efficient grinders might accomplish it all. Eventually, the performance of the player is judged meaningfully.
Meaningfully? No.
Expand grandpa evaluation:
http://stardewvalleywiki.com/Grandpa
This happens after two years of your gametime. 8 seasons.

In that time at least one of these tasks is impossible to achieve. Museum collection for example is luck based and it may take you several more years to complete it. Apparently there are 10 stardrops to find and currently it's known only how to get 7 of those.
Some goals are achiveable by grind ofc, for example the million earned. But if you concentrate only on grind and ignore community center, you won't open the desert area which automatically means you won't catch every fish possible and finish that goal.

A grinder is a grinder. People who enjoy this grinder enjoy a grinder. This means they love at least one grinder and show by acts the relativity of their tastes.
I asked what makes this grinder different from others. Why I didn't just uninstall it because grind but keep playing.
You're not answering that question but are stating something what's obvious to everyone and doesn't explain what I asked in the first place.

Considering how feeble the gameplay principles are and how well the product is selling, devs are well advice to take example, this will save them many sleepless nights, easy money is the best money.
Sorry, but I believe it's easier to sell gems in p2w phonegames ot gambling boxes in Star Trek Online.

[EDIT]
Sorry, seems in the next patch grandpa's you being "meaningfully judged" is getting to be less harsh (you will be able to talk to him again, not only once after two years passed).

Last edited:
Meaningfully? No.
Expand grandpa evaluation:
http://stardewvalleywiki.com/Grandpa
This happens after two years of your gametime. 8 seasons.

In that time at least one of these tasks is impossible to achieve. Museum collection for example is luck based and it may take you several more years to complete it. Apparently there are 10 stardrops to find and currently it's known only how to get 7 of those.
Some goals are achiveable by grind ofc, for example the million earned. But if you concentrate only on grind and ignore community center, you won't open the desert area which automatically means you won't catch every fish possible and finish that goal.

Many things are luck related, there are means to influence luck, more importanly, grinding smooothens the luck dimension. Also, the completion of the community center tasks are a consequence of grinding.
Players who embrace the grinding dimension complete the community center. The more efficient at grinding a player is, the faster the completion.

I asked what makes this grinder different from others. Why I didn't just uninstall it because grind but keep playing.
You're not answering that question but are stating something what's obvious to everyone and doesn't explain what I asked in the first place.
People like what they like for the reasons they like what they like. Nobody must answer the question why people like this or that.
Nevertheless, it does not change what people like. People liking this product like a grinder and this cheapens any position against grinders.
Sorry, but I believe it's easier to sell gems in p2w phonegames ot gambling boxes in Star Trek Online.
Probably not as it takes a world renowned franchise to sell the scheme.
[EDIT]
Sorry, seems in the next patch grandpa's you being "meaningfully judged" is getting to be less harsh (you will be able to talk to him again, not only once after two years passed).[/QUOTE]
Looks like players resented enough the "not so meaningful"judgment they lobbied for a change in the deal.
To be compared with another not so meaningful feature: the buggied tenth priced high quality fertilizer, not so sure players show the same eagerness to get it corrected.

Many things are luck related, there are means to influence luck, more importanly, grinding smooothens the luck dimension. Also, the completion of the community center tasks are a consequence of grinding.
Look, let's agree to disagree.
While you'll be grinding mines for minerals and artifacts, I'll skip the chore and just keep storing geodes I got from fishing and elsewhere while daily checking TV. Then I'll crack those at blacksmith's on the best luck day with eating +3 luck dish so my total gets +6 luck.

To be compared with another not so meaningful feature: the buggied tenth priced high quality fertilizer, not so sure players show the same eagerness to get it corrected.
IMO high quality fertilizer is basically what's called in some games "a noobtrap". ;)
It's price is basically irrelevant and even when it gets corrected it's easy to make (2 sap and any fish) plus the only use I could think of is getting three goldstar crops for one community center bundle.

What you want to buy instead is Deluxe Speed-Gro fertilizer not that easy to get an ingredient for (oak resin+coral). This thing increases growth rate by 25%.
Why?

Find me a better farming strategy than this:

1. Work your way to unlock greenhouse in community center as soon as possible.
2. Check on gypsy frequently and buy what you need for Community Center from him. Also when possible buy iridium sprinklers from him!
3. You'll find at least one ancient seed on mining/fishing, donate it to museum so you get actual seed from it.
3. Plant it, grow it but do not sell the fruit. Store it till you get a seedmaker from Community Center (dye bundle) or construct one yourself. Then make many ancient seeds as you can, plant new ancient fruits during before fall (because they die in winter) and continue gathering seeds from fruit.
4. Once you get greenhouse, fill it whole with ancient seeds and move your overpowered sprinklers inside. Those will continue to grow endlessly. Once you fill the whole greenhouse field with ancient seeds (and iridium sprinklers), stop making seeds and just harvest ancient fruit. Here's an example pic:
http://images.akamai.steamuserconte...695/D15D904B6EDBB694A8BA1111A93C5B34286749C4/

You want fast growth fertilizer! Not quality. Because I'm not done.

5. Make kegs and turn ancient fruit you're not sewing any more into wine. It triples the price of fruit.
6. By this moment you'll be near or already level 10 in farming. You'll of course, pick Artisan where artisan goods (wine, cheese, oil, etc.) are worth 50% more. This will make just one bottle of this wine worth $3375.

Thanks to fast growth fertilizer that made you more fruit in a shorter time and not quality fertilizer you'll be a billionaire fast.
Fastgrowth nets new fruit every 6 days instead of 8. And turning fruit into wine takes 6 days. Basically when you collect wine, you already have more fruit to put in kegs to fermentation.

Note that you can also buy rare seed from gypsy and do this with it too, but it doesn't continue to give more fruit once harvested and you can grow it only once during fall (without speedgrow fert. needs 24 days before it gives a product) which makes it a not good alternative.

In the end it's still grinding. Definetly is. This is repetitive:
- harvest fruit
- turn into wine
- sell for tons of cash

But no more of this grinding:
- no hoe use at all (because you filled greenhouse)
- no watering (because sprinklers, oh wait, this means you don't have to improve the can to best one)
- hell no huge fences or scarecrows needed!

Last edited:
It looks like Chien is channeling his inner-DArt; but without the necessary English skills.

Fail.

I sent the link to my wife, OP. Thanks

Maybe in Chiens culture the rating you get from your dead grandpa is meaningful. Maybe he can't just ignore and forget all the fun hes had up till the rating?

Grandpa say you bad? You bad!

I'm about to finish my first year as a farmer *sniff* I'm happy with my achievement :) Winter started off quite boring for me but then I started to pick up fishing and mining skills. I still hate mining with passion............ but hey, I need those ores to make goodies. I didn't enjoy fishing either but starting to get used to it more :)

Btw, don't bother with make fences if you aren't too concerned with cosmetic affect. I wasted my whole wood and rock supplies building and repairing those damned walls.... not to mention time wasted on it. But IT IS SO PRETTY ARGH. If you really want, better to go with stone walls than wood. Trees just don't grow fast enough and I think they stop growing during mid-late winter so you can't get any supplies if you have chopped them all down like I did... whereas you can quickly replenish stones by going to level 1 mine within few hours (in game).

I'm not feeling the love interests, though. What's with all these emo teens -- give us Linus and Marnie for those of maturer tastes.

I'm totally getting gay married. I'll post the wedding photos in P&R.

Look, let's agree to disagree.
While you'll be grinding mines for minerals and artifacts, I'll skip the chore and just keep storing geodes I got from fishing and elsewhere while daily checking TV. Then I'll crack those at blacksmith's on the best luck day with eating +3 luck dish so my total gets +6 luck.
What chore? The product is a long list of chores.
And past tense. The product is low on content and past one point, the player finds himself grinding for one or two items that are missing. This is left for players who are affected with collectionite.

IMO high quality fertilizer is basically what's called in some games "a noobtrap". ;)
It's price is basically irrelevant and even when it gets corrected it's easy to make (2 sap and any fish) plus the only use I could think of is getting three goldstar crops for one community center bundle.
Building up gravel moots is as much of a game as this product.

An iridium sprinkler waters 24 tiles, ten of them 240, 240 fish per month, 9 per day.
That might help to complete a yearly event that happens every 25 hours ingame. Apart from that, it has no use.
What you want to buy instead is Deluxe Speed-Gro fertilizer not that easy to get an ingredient for (oak resin+coral). This thing increases growth rate by 25%.
Why?

Find me a better farming strategy than this:

1. Work your way to unlock greenhouse in community center as soon as possible.
2. Check on gypsy frequently and buy what you need for Community Center from him. Also when possible buy iridium sprinklers from him!
3. You'll find at least one ancient seed on mining/fishing, donate it to museum so you get actual seed from it.
3. Plant it, grow it but do not sell the fruit. Store it till you get a seedmaker from Community Center (dye bundle) or construct one yourself. Then make many ancient seeds as you can, plant new ancient fruits during before fall (because they die in winter) and continue gathering seeds from fruit.
4. Once you get greenhouse, fill it whole with ancient seeds and move your overpowered sprinklers inside. Those will continue to grow endlessly. Once you fill the whole greenhouse field with ancient seeds (and iridium sprinklers), stop making seeds and just harvest ancient fruit. Here's an example pic:
http://images.akamai.steamuserconte...695/D15D904B6EDBB694A8BA1111A93C5B34286749C4/

You want fast growth fertilizer! Not quality. Because I'm not done.

5. Make kegs and turn ancient fruit you're not sewing any more into wine. It triples the price of fruit.
6. By this moment you'll be near or already level 10 in farming. You'll of course, pick Artisan where artisan goods (wine, cheese, oil, etc.) are worth 50% more. This will make just one bottle of this wine worth $3375.

Thanks to fast growth fertilizer that made you more fruit in a shorter time and not quality fertilizer you'll be a billionaire fast.
Fastgrowth nets new fruit every 6 days instead of 8. And turning fruit into wine takes 6 days. Basically when you collect wine, you already have more fruit to put in kegs to fermentation.

Note that you can also buy rare seed from gypsy and do this with it too, but it doesn't continue to give more fruit once harvested and you can grow it only once during fall (without speedgrow fert. needs 24 days before it gives a product) which makes it a not good alternative.

In the end it's still grinding. Definetly is. This is repetitive:
- harvest fruit
- turn into wine
- sell for tons of cash

But no more of this grinding:
- no hoe use at all (because you filled greenhouse)
- no watering (because sprinklers, oh wait, this means you don't have to improve the can to best one)
- hell no huge fences or scarecrows needed!

Strategy for what? Make money? Money is by design a hard cap. There is little content in this product and without hard cap, the content will be quickly drained.

Once again, this product works the idea that grinding puts an end to grinding.
New means that are offered introduce more ways to grind.
It all adds. Twenty iridium sprinklers do not mean no more watering down, they mean 240 tiles that are not to be watered down, they add to all the tiles that can be watered down.
The greenhouse does not come as a substitution, it comes as an addition to any farmed land. Greenhouse also means cash crops all year round.

Mining, fishing, farming, foraging do not exclude each other: when grinding from 6 to 2, there is enough to grind each of them, depends on the routine.

Kegs? Of course, it was written as an example that one keg is synonym to the next keg. Get one keg to get another. Depending on the routine, they might amount to 40, 60 This is how this product work: grinding to open means to grind even more.

By the way, mining delivers the means of that growth way faster than hitting the smith.
Maybe in Chiens culture the rating you get from your dead grandpa is meaningful.
It is in any person's culture who lobbied to get the change in.
Maybe he can't just ignore and forget all the fun hes had up till the rating?
Fun is subjective. Controller is best for grinding and for sure, quite a lot of people find it fun to hold one button down.
Grandpa say you bad? You bad!
When? It was written that efficient grinders (grinding properly and towards the completion of goals) are expected to perform and that the product is designed so that everything is doable within the time limit.
That comes from somewhere.
It looks like Chien is channeling his inner-DArt
People are entitled to get their love story as long as they do not involve people who are not concerned by that story.

No.

So in the end maybe it's not the grinding people are after here. Maybe the reason the game is selling like a cure and is being played by thousands… Maybe. I dunno.

Anyone who plays SV plays a grinder. There is very little to do beside grinding in this product.

Some time ago, it was stated that the pc scene is now parted between low-bottom tiers products that require no skills and games to support a professional scene, that require heaps of skills. Other than that, the offer is thin.

SV is a fine example of that, it is a product that requires no skill, it is an entry product for people who have never played any kind of game in their life. Even Mahjong is more demanding.

SV is examplary of the pc scene: a product appealing to non gamers.

the player finds himself grinding for one or two items that are missing. This is left for players who are affected with collectionite.
What word is that?
The word other people use for this, including me is - Pokemon.
And so far the rarest pokemon in my game is rabbit's foot, seen not a single one in 2 ingame years although have 3 rabbits. Do I care? Not much. Will I play the game till I find it? Dunno. Maybe. Depends if the game will still be fun.

An iridium sprinkler waters 24 tiles, ten of them 240
Why on earth would you get 10 iridium sprinklers? 4 is enough to cover almost whole greenhouse field.
But okay, I guess you're expecting everyone is megalomaniac.

Strategy for what? Make money? Money is by design a hard cap.
Yes, it's the thing some of us who love the game use to obtain stuff quickly. You… Grind for those stuff instead. But I guess grind is your forte. :)
Cap is meh, you'll buy everything you want before that cap.

Once again, this product works the idea that grinding puts an end to grinding.
New means that are offered introduce more ways to grind.
It all adds. Twenty iridium sprinklers do not mean no more watering down, they mean 240 tiles that are not to be watered down, they add to all the tiles that can be watered down.
The greenhouse does not come as a substitution, it comes as an addition to any farmed land. Greenhouse also means cash crops all year round.
Again, but this time not 10 but 20 iridium sprinklers. Are you crazy?
Man… You've completely missed the point what I'm saying. Yes you can put not 20, but 100 iridium sprinklers, but are you crazy? Either you are or you're imagining something that isn't there. This product works the idea that certain amount of grinding is necessary, but not the DA:I bears case!

Mining, fishing, farming, foraging do not exclude each other: when grinding from 6 to 2, there is enough to grind each of them, depends on the routine.
No. The routine is your thing.
I don't go mining/fishing on bad luck days. If I don't have to do anything else to do that day, I just check if there is a fetch quest at Pierre's and return to sleep before noon.

Kegs? Of course, it was written as an example that one keg is synonym to the next keg. Get one keg to get another. Depending on the routine, they might amount to 40, 60 This is how this product work: grinding to open means to grind even more.
Man… How about we return to your fertilizer prices issue?
You get kegs and wine just to get rich. Once you get rich you don't need them. I've written it just to show you how to get rich fast without too much of grind and to show you that what you believe is a major issue, quality fertilizer price, is utterly irrelevant.

By the way, mining delivers the means of that growth way faster than hitting the smith.
Who cares for mining? You need to mine only iridium. The rest of resources eventually you'll just buy.

SV is a fine example of that, it is a product that requires no skill
No skill?
Sadly it's not some skill you're talking about everywhere. You're advertising Stardew Valley as a product that is only about grinding and absolutely no strategy.
And I bet you caught all 5 legendary fish in this no_skill_needed game before I even knew those exist.

Last edited:
I once again have no idea what Chein is trying to say. Can anyone figure this out?

I once again have no idea what Chein is trying to say. Can anyone figure this out?
We will figure it out on same day when we figure out why Bethesda crap is so loved by people...

Translation of Chein
Chein : SV is a an over-hyped grinder. Light content. Repetative actions don't make for good gameplay, just addicted gameplay. Congrats on the dev for making a product that can appeal to the lowest common denominator of gamers. Rating system in year 3 is proof that game is meant to be a rushed grinder.

What word is that?

Collectionite: the affliction of feeling compelled to complete a collection.
Why on earth would you get 10 iridium sprinklers? 4 is enough to cover almost whole greenhouse field.
But okay, I guess you're expecting everyone is megalomaniac.
A grinder is a grinder, coming to a grinder for something else than grinding is not sustainable.

Already answered. The greenhouse does not substract, the green house comes in addition to the rest of the already farmed land.
Yes, it's the thing some of us who love the game use to obtain stuff quickly. You… Grind for those stuff instead. But I guess grind is your forte. :)
Grinding is what SV is about. By grinding more, you get more money than when grinding.
Cap is meh, you'll buy everything you want before that cap.
Money is a means to cap the access to the content. The more you grind, the faster you get access to the content.

Some other products can afford a no money mod as they offer tons of content.SV cant.
Again, but this time not 10 but 20 iridium sprinklers. Are you crazy?
Man… You've completely missed the point what I'm saying. Yes you can put not 20, but 100 iridium sprinklers, but are you crazy? Either you are or you're imagining something that isn't there. This product works the idea that certain amount of grinding is necessary, but not the DA:I bears case!
No. The work load is capped by when a player can grind from 6am to 2 am.
Even with a routine dedicated to farming only, (and according that it is possible to fit in 100 sprinklers), it is unlikely that a player can support the work load coming with 100 sprinklers.

Without having played DA:I, it remains that it only offers grinding. SV only offers grinding.
No. The routine is your thing.
I don't go mining/fishing on bad luck days. If I don't have to do anything else to do that day, I just check if there is a fetch quest at Pierre's and return to sleep before noon.
That reads like a routine.
Man… How about we return to your fertilizer prices issue?
You get kegs and wine just to get rich. Once you get rich you don't need them. I've written it just to show you how to get rich fast without too much of grind and to show you that what you believe is a major issue, quality fertilizer price, is utterly irrelevant.
There is no point in getting rich in this product. Money is a convenient means to cap the access to the content and therefore dilute it and therefore hide that the content is light.

Without that, the lack of content would be resented.

Once again, means of grinding must be understood as a door to more means of grinding.
Who cares for mining? You need to mine only iridium. The rest of resources eventually you'll just buy.
Mining provides the resources faster. In the end, mining happens to feed furnaces so that bars are offered or sold. It all adds.
No skill?
Sadly it's not some skill you're talking about everywhere. You're advertising Stardew Valley as a product that is only about grinding and absolutely no strategy.
And I bet you caught all 5 legendary fish in this no_skill_needed game before I even knew those exist.

Situations that do not require some sort of strategy are rare.
So there is strategy involved in SV. At a very low level.

The 5 legendary fish are better caught by grinding and by applying what the text says about fishing (the strategy here is to go by the text)
Beside, that is collectionite.

SV is about grinding (grinding calls for strategy) Players might more or less embrace the grinding dimension.

Back
Top Bottom