Stardew Valley - New Indie Game

We can do without the fun stabs at Chien. His English skills are not the best, but at least he is trying and willing to debate regardless of that.

Translation of Chein
Chein : SV is a an over-hyped grinder.
It is a successful grinder.
Repetative actions don't make for good gameplay, just addicted gameplay.

Any gameplay is based on the repetition of actions. The repetition of actions is mandatory to allow the player to make informed decisions, to make decisions with fathomable consequences.

SV is not built that way though. Sv shares a lot in common with some levels designed in Mario Maker.

For some people, the difficulty in a MM level is measured by the number of times they manage to get Mario killed. To achieve that, they retain or hide information from the player. They set traps everywhere without giving any information about the traps.
In order to get information, the player must pay with a Mario life. The main difficulty is the absence of information.

SV, same stuff, the player usually knows afterwards.

The addiction does not come from the repetition, it comes from the security. As long as a player grinds, a player gets. There is no failure between effort and reward. The player does, the player gets.
If ever disruptions between the effort and rewards were introduced, players' addiction would end immediately.
Congrats on the dev for making a product that can appeal to the lowest common denominator of gamers.
Actually, it does not appeal to gamers (that is players with an interest in gameplay)

Rating system in year 3 is proof that game is meant to be a rushed grinder.

The reaction of players to the time limit showed that. If players did not grant some importance to that time limit, disregarding it, they would not have lobbied to get it changed.

Now if we like it we aren't gamers? Please.

Today, please.

I've been playing all kinds of video games for more than 20 years now.

Yet I love Stardew Valley.

Thanks for revealing the dark truth of me not being a gamer ;(

One question, though:

I also love Euro & American Truck Simulator… Does that make me twice the treacherous non-gamer?

Well 425000 people seem to think it's a game.

Also,

Game: a form of play or sport.
Synonyms include: pastime, diversion, entertainment, amusement, distraction, recreation, activity.

Now excuse me while me and my kids go and not really play a not really game called not really Stardew Valley.

One question, though:

I also love Euro & American Truck Simulator… Does that make me twice the treacherous non-gamer?
As long as you didn't buy all DLC for Train Simulator, you have nothing to worry about:
http://store.steampowered.com/app/24010/

Stardew Valley is on the RPGWatch Steam Game Curation list - so it's obviously a good game;)
I bet you got Sebastian on 6 and Maru on 8 hearts. Those cutscenes are pure gold! Not saying other ones aren't also good, but these made my day.
I got B on Solarion Chronicles with wizard btw… Didn't know what am I doing. :D

It's possible to get also A and C, also you can pick between warrior, healer and wizard. Here's healer version:

Last edited:
I see people from my Steam friends list play this of whom I never thought they would touch such a game. Personally, I haven't tried it yet and was just curious what this game is about. This thread told me, thanks.

Once in a while, there is a game that just resonates with lots of people. I guess the same is true for Terraria, where many people claimed it was "just a poor 2D Minecraft clone", and yet, it had its very own charm.

Back
Top Bottom