Fallout - Time for a Remake

As long as it's turn-based. If inXile remade them with the Wasteland 3 engine I'd buy it.

If Bethesda turned it into of their FPS I have absolutely no interest.

Nothing new I've been saying this ever since Microsoft bought Bethesda. Just use the same unity engine that built Wasteland 3. It's a pipe dream folks not gonna happen.

This seems to pop up every couple of years. I don't think we'll get remakes of FO 1/2. Bethesda isn't into redoing old games, and I don't see them licensing the IP out for that.

I just managed to get Fallout Tactics to run properly, and at 1280x720 it looks very good. If Fallout 1 and 2 looked as good I'd have no need for a remake, personally.
Technically this is the first Fallout game I ever played. I had no idea about Fallout 1/2 at that point. Didn't get very far into it, but it was nostalgic watching the intro. And hearing the drill-sergeant that narrates the mission briefings.

I just managed to get Fallout Tactics to run properly, and at 1280x720 it looks very good. If Fallout 1 and 2 looked as good I'd have no need for a remake, personally.
Technically this is the first Fallout game I ever played. I had no idea about Fallout 1/2 at that point. Didn't get very far into it, but it was nostalgic watching the intro. And hearing the drill-sergeant that narrates the mission briefings.
Tactics is the only PC Fallout game I've never played. I have it on GOG, but I don't think I've ever even tried it. Are you playing the Steam version?

I rather they made a new Fallout with the good old general feeling and all the new tech. Remakes are the easy nostalgia appeal, but they rarely are a sound success. I personally never understood the appeal for living in the past.

It's not living in the past. The first two games are not holding up well to modern hardware, and frankly remakes always add new content. Not just recycle old content.

Also the latest Fallouts have almost nothing in common after Bethesda got the IP.

Tactics is the only PC Fallout game I've never played. I have it on GOG, but I don't think I've ever even tried it. Are you playing the Steam version?
Yes. It works fine. It even comes with the hi-res patch that was community-made I think.
Only issue, is by default the game is setup to use 16 bit colors and for some reason it always crashed on startup due to that. But as soon as you edit the .cfg file and switch to 32 it works fine.
Also, most of the higher resolutions really screw with the clickable area on-screen and it distorts the fonts making them unreadable. 1280x720 is perfect. Looks crisp as hell and isn't too small on-screen to enjoy.

Speaking of the game, I enjoyed it for what it was. When played in turn-based it's basically like a squad-based and mission-based version of Fallout. Just with crisper graphics. It's really a disappointment they never got to make Fallout 3 with that tech, or whatever they were planning.

Also, I never quite got the history clear, as to who handled it. A separate studio? I didn't see any recognizable name in the credits.
But regardless, I really don't get the negative opinions on it. Or is there a different Brother of Steel game that has the bad rap? Is that the console version one?

Yep I even tried a few mods help with higher resolution but that just makes the image smaller. I have the same problem with the various mods for Arcanum as well.

Also, I never quite got the history clear, as to who handled it. A separate studio? I didn't see any recognizable name in the credits.
Wikipedia lists Micro Forté as the developer, but I don't know anything about them other than they're Australian.
But regardless, I really don't get the negative opinions on it. Or is there a different Brother of Steel game that has the bad rap? Is that the console version one?
That's Fallout: Brotherhood of Steel which was released on Xbox and PS2. I've never played that one either, but it appears to be an action-RPG similar to Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance. It doesn't seem like it was well received.

I'd also prefer they just create a new series with turn based combat. It would need a slightly different name to stand out from the mainline games along the lines of Fallout Tactics. A game with "good enough" graphics would fill the gap nicely between F4/F5 and I think there would be strong demand for it.

If they had both a open world FPS rpg and the turn based tactical combat rpg they wouldn't really compete with each other as well!

Or we could just do new games with the Fallout IP? I mean, I loved Fallout 2. In 1998. Would like to see new material as opposed to a remake but remakes seem to be the order of the day right now.

I really liked the Fallout show on Prime just this past week. It was set about 10 years after the events of Fallout 4. Not a remake. New material, and it was fun.

Good luck as Bethesda has no interest in farming out the Ip to other developers. I liked the Fallout show minus a few nitpicks but it's not a game. More games not TV please.

At the current rate we'll see a new game every 8-10 years at best. 🤷‍♂️

Good luck as Bethesda has no interest in farming out the Ip to other developers. I liked the Fallout show minus a few nitpicks but it's not a game. More games not TV please.

If 50% of these games are any good, we will see maybe one we would want to play every 16-20 years. That's a long time for a franchise to be viable?

Maybe the TV show will boost the demand and they'll do a remaster of FO3 or a special edition. The 20-year anniversary date is still 4 years away, though, but it's still earlier than what we can hope for FO5 ('hope' may be a strong word, here).

Back
Top Bottom