Genres that need more RPG coverage

What genres need more RPG coverage?

• I can't get enough of the fantasy genre!!!

Votes: 8 22.2%
  • Science Fiction (e.g. Star Trek, Star Wars)

Votes: 3 8.3%
  • Modern Horror

Votes: 4 11.1%
  • Mystery

Votes: 2 5.6%
  • Steampunk

• Cyberpunk

• History

Votes: 8 22.2%
  • Time Travelling

Votes: 1 2.8%
  • Other

Votes: 2 5.6%

• Total voters

Ionstormsucks

Major Villain
Tired of fantasy rpgs? I am. What other genres need way more RPG coverage and why?

My choice - Modern Horror - gimme that chainsaw!!!

I like alternative history - things like Lionheart and Arcanum give a great opportunity to look at things differently, and include disparate ideas such as technology and magic. I'd love to see more of that stuff.

History and steampunk. I've always said that I'd like some sort of Mount & Blade in thirty years war Germany, with the war unfolding in the background and your merry little band of mercenaries possibly influencing events, and many alternative careers... It'd be hell to program such a campaign though.

Too bad the poll only allows one choice.

I would like to see more coverage of all of them, but there are only few of those games.
I didn'tvote because there was no all options
I voted others now, in lack of better choice for me :)

Last edited:
I voted science fiction, except I don't really want any more games like KotOR. Games like buck rogers, megatraveller and starflight is more what I am interested in.

I'm with ISS. The "anti-hero" approach can be fun. Remember Dungeon Keeper?

viva la cyberpunk!

system shocks, deus exs, blade runner, neuro hunter, anachronox...and not to many more

Voted other - since I think that all of them can use more RPG aproach.

I can't get enough of fantasy is true, but it's also true that there are far too few fantasy RPGs that don't go the standtard orcs and elves routine. That's one way to approach it, the other being a new insight onto the orcs and elves route.

Science Fiction RPGs are something of a rare kind, there are far too few and almost all of them based on a rather limiting existing franchize like Star Wars and the like and that is getting boring already

I loved Lionhearts alternative history setting, I though it had excellent concept in the whole thing, too bad that the devs were not given enough time to actually develop a great game in it and Interplay released a half-a** game.

Time travelling and the rest of the genres on the list could merit far greater exploration as far as RPGs go since there are barely any of those kind available right now.

On the whole, almost any genre of games in general or setting could use more RPG elements. There are many unexplored options, though some definately interesting games are/were developed. Like the upcoming Puzzle Quest that tries to mix and RPG and a connect 3 style puzzle games. Or the cancelled Weird War, a WWII themed RPG with supposedly 'Allo 'Allo inspired humourous note.

I'd like to see much more RPG systems fleshed out in C-RPGs. Other systems than the over-dominant (A)D&D.

Recently I thought : "What about an C-RPG with the Tunnels & Trolls ruleset ?" ;) Not to take too seriously, because I actually don't know that rule-set.

Ctulhu I think could also become an interesting C-RPG (although I wouldn't play it, I think. I don't like horror at all). (Headline read a few months ago about such a game : "Ctulhu Ctalls your Ctomputer" - was it in the Knights of the Dinner Table mag ?)

What I'd *really* like to see are what are adventures turned into C-RPGs. I mean things like Keepsake, for example. Or Beyond Good & Evil. Or Indiana Jones. Or Lara Croft ...

I am interested in "Not the time for dragons". The game can be really bad, but I think the Steampunk genré is quite interesting.

motivator8839611[1].jpg

I'd love a game set in the Middle Ages, and also a Western RPG. A game loosely based on Cormac McCarthy's Blood Meridian would be great. It helps a game, I think, when the world it portrays has a good share of lawlessness and the period had that aplenty. The many cultures involved, the vast territory only partly civilised, the history too -- coming off the Civil War, the Indian Wars, immigration, the total absence of elves and dwarves, etc., it could be great. But nobody will make it.

How about a current era game where YOU have to infiltrate a terror cell; lots of moral choices as you rise up the organisation ladder to get closer to its leader. Hmmm... would probably get banned!!!!

Sounds interesting Corwin. I voted for history. While I would never want to forgo the fantasy genre, it would nevertheless be fascinating to be able to explore accurately modeled historical environments and interact with events and characters of the period. Sadly, very few such RPGs are made. The only one I can think of at the moment is Roma Victor and that's a MMORPG (if anyone knows of any others that I may have missed, please let me know).

History. I would like to see some games set in the bronze age, medieval ireland, age of exploration, etc. Nothing wrong with well done fantasy or SF, but I would like to see some more mature and educational material as well.

I really prefer fantasy. I loved the genre way before I was playing CRPGs, would devour any fantasy book I could find.

Other genres just don't appeal that much to me. I don't like realism, I like escapism, hehe.
The only other type of RPGs I liked were the KOTOR ones, but they are just fantasy in outer space more then scifi.

Truth to tell, if it has an elf or an orc on the box cover and the words rPG, it will probably end up in my collection :D

I voted for "modern horror". Though I would extend it to "any sort of horror".

For me, many of the stand-out moments in even the most mundane rpgs have resulted from the atmosphere and drama that is created by a well crafted 'horror' set-piece. Whether this be part of a BIO epic, old-skool ham like Wizards and Warriors, or even Oblivion [the creepy bits (e.g. parts of the Dark Brotherhood) of which made most of the other quest lines look anaemic (pun only partially intended)], some sort of visceral emotional engagement can heighten the experience.

A notable example of a horror-enfused crpg is Vampire: Blood Lines, which was fantastic when it came to atmos...but imagine this extended to a mediaeval setting. Most fantasy rpgs do not do well at effectively evoking the sheer horror, or at the very least the absolute otherworldness , of encountering the fantastical or spiritual. Effectively sustained amalgams of traditional fantasy rpg tropes with the emotional engagement of classic horror are either very rare or yet to be seen.

I hope thoose who want History checked out Lionheart. :)

Back
Top Bottom