BG2: What am I doing wrong?

@purplebob
I seem to recall that sorcerers get a fixed amount of spells/spells per day no matter what.

@KazikluBey
I realize that, but that's only in the beginning. A bit of natural AC, a few buffs and Vecnas robe won't really last long as far as armor goes. It was different in BG1, where a little armor class would truly save your life - in BG2, creatures end up hitting you on every swing unless you have exceptional armor class. Later in the game, you can pretty much count on your stoneskin to last 10 hits, and mirror image to let that stoneskin last a little longer.

All in all, I still think there's only one required stat for sorcerers, and that's constitution. The secondary stat should be wisdom, for various reasons. Beyond that, put it where the it would "fit the character" (roleplaying).

Really? I knew CHR don't matter but I thought INT still affects amount of spell you can cast.
No such effects. It's very easy to test. Just create two new ToB characters, one with 18/18 int/cha, and one with 9/9. They have the same amount of spells and spells per day.

Thanks everyone, you all were a great help :). The sorcerer class looks a lot more clear to me now. It is truly weird that there is no stat governing his magic usage (aside wisdom for the wish spell?).

So my elven sorcerer is going to look something like this

19 dex
16 con
18 wis
and what i can spare goes to str, int and cha.

Weapon part is easy. Staves and sling.

Choosing spells can be tough, but previous experiences with my mages has taught a lot whats usefull and what isn't. Besides I will always have a fellow spell caster at my side in case i'm missing something crucial :).

Are there any Sorcerer NPC's (Bioware or user mod)? One of my biggest complaints about AD&D was always the memorization requirement for spells. Not sure I want to actually play a Sorcerer my next go through, but I'd like to have one in the party!

They can't be duel or multi-classed either, right?

Are there any Sorcerer NPC's (Bioware or user mod)?

Kulyok´s Xan NPC offers an opportunity to make him a sorcerer during the installation.

I´ve played with Kelsey and Tashia but I like Xan by far the best.
He has A LOT of dialogue content, 4 quests (3 in SoA, 1 in ToB) and is voiced really well. His ToB content is a big plus, since it helps to better the dialogue/fighting ratio.
I find his depressive attitude entertaining (he´s sorta like Marvin from Hitchhiker) even though I´m usually not much fond of the whinning NPCs. You´re offered with a good variety of responses which makes his dialogues engaging and fun.
Also, sometimes you can discuss events from the first game with him which is nice.
Imho, Xan is the most elaborate mod NPC to date. Along with Angelo, he´s easily my favourite NPC.
I should rename my game to Shadows of Xan :).
I´ve probably repeated some things I´ve already written about him in this thread, but what the heck.

Here he is: http://www.pocketplane.net/mambo/index.php?option=content&task=blogcategory&id=164&Itemid=113

If you´d by chance decided to use him along with Amber or Keto I mentioned earlier, I´d recommend installing crossmod banter pack since it make them communicate with each other.
http://www.gibberlings3.net/crossmod/index.php

Last edited:
I personally like Xan as Fighter/Mage rather than sorcerer. I haven't tried Tashia but Kelsey is awesome ;) I almost always have him in the party although I don't romance him (that's Imoen's job).

Xan was the most annoying character in all of Baldur's Gate 1. That man could really get on my nerves. I doubt the fan mod has managed to capture his "11 out of 10 annoyance factor", but I still refuse to bring him into BG2. The other mods are both solid, good writing and certainly not annoying in my opinion.

I've seen a couple things mentioning Imoen romancing NPC's. How does that work? Just it just progress or do you have any influence on it?

In an unmodded game, there is no Imoen romance.

I know. I mean for the mod's that have a romance for her.

I'm aware of two NPC-Imoen-Romances - Kelsey and Chloe - both started hitting on Imoen without anything my PC could influence and both annoyed me as hell before I played long enough to see how it works out. I guess that if your PC doesen't fit the Requierments (anymore) of the NPCs the NPC/Imoen-Romance will start, without any way to influence it - except dismissing/killing the NPC - in both cases a good solution IMO.

Kelsey, Chloe and Edwin romances Imoen (if PC does not romance them, that is).

I believe Imoen "relationship" mod is in progress. I do believe it does include romance with Imoen and PC under certain circumstances. Here is the link:

http://www.shsforums.net/index.php?showforum=24

And back to Xan mod: there are plenty of elf related mod in earlier game areas, which means it is very easy to get elven chain which allows you to cast spell when you are wearing one! This makes Xan rather good Figher/Mage. He gets decent defence and later when you put an item that boosts up strength, Xan is actually quite awesome. (I play PC as Figher/Mage too when I have Xan around.. plenty of elven chain available! ;))

What's up with the knock spell in BG2? i try to use it on the doors that say 'this door is locked by unconventional means......' and they -never- work. i've tried many doors and the spell has never worked. They haven't worked on any chests either that i've tried.

The spell only works on doors/chests thieves can lockpick (it's basically a replacement for the thief skill). If a door is locked through "unconventional means", it means you need a switch, trigger, etc to open it. Those locks can't be picked or opened with spells.

I believe Imoen "relationship" mod is in progress. I do believe it does include romance with Imoen and PC under certain circumstances.

Ick, that's a bit too close to romancing your sister. I'll pass on that.

While it worked for the story in BG2, I preferred in BG1 where she wasn't your sister. I really thought that was a bit of a weak part of the story, given that Jaheria (and Sarevok) seemingly would have known that she was a Bhaalspawn from the beginning.

While it worked for the story in BG2, I preferred in BG1 where she wasn't your sister. I really thought that was a bit of a weak part of the story, given that Jaheria (and Sarevok) seemingly would have known that she was a Bhaalspawn from the beginning.

What makes you think that Jaheria should have known Imoen was Bhaalspawn?

It's more Jaheira might have known that Imy was a Bhaalspawn - she was supposedly good friends with Gorion, and he must have known what she was, else why keep her around? On the other hand it's debatable whether Gorion confided everything with Jaheira. I can't remeber right now whether or not he was a Harper as well.

IIRC, she knew that the PC was (being a friend/Harper colleague of Gorion). Even if Gorion hadn't told her, it wouldn't be a difficult thing to guess that a second foster child of unknown origin and of the same age as the PC was also a Bhaalspawn.

Back
Top Bottom