BG2: What am I doing wrong?

Told ya. Maybe you should try that setup I´ve recommended earlier then ;).

I'm stubborn like that! At least I can say I tried. I'll probably give it another go around at some point, though, maybe I'll use your recommendation next time!

Well so much for TDD. The two locations for new towns aren't popping up on my map despite getting the map scrolls from the kender and the salesman. SoS doesn't seem to be fairing any better so far, I got one of the animations, but can't seem to get it to go any farther!

ok, another question -- what's SoS?

Shadows over Soubar

Ok, I think I've now found the worst part of TDD! So I kill Irenicus (final time). I'm all prepared for the nice end scene. But alas, I am transported back to the Elven city. The Queen says she can transport me to Candlekeep. So I say sure, why not. Then I realize that is is part of TDD's megaquest, and given the unbalanced nature of the previous quests, I want nothing to do with it.

So I reload. Kill Irenicus again (never gets old!) and this time, I use the response to the Elven Queen of "Why would I want to go back to that dump?" thinking it will end the game. Nope. I just sit there until I tell her I want to go!

Thankfully, it didn't affect my importing of my character into ToB.

That's why I never bothered to install any of mega mods... ;) The longer road was enough for me.

I may try that the next time through, though I get so attached to my NPC's that I'd probably have trouble kicking one of them out to let Irenicus in!

I may try that the next time through, though I get so attached to my NPC's that I'd probably have trouble kicking one of them out to let Irenicus in!

That´s actually quite easy.
Install either Amber (well written, well voiced fighter/thief NPC with pretty interesting romance track and rather elaborate quest) or Keto (also well written, awesomely voiced bard NPC with really entertaining and even more elaborate quest).
So far, both have only SoA content so you can replace them with Irenicus without any loss of content.
Both are much more fun than most of vanilla NPCs.

Amber´s here: http://koti.welho.com/vmarttil/amber/
Keto here: http://www.pocketplane.net/mambo/index.php?option=com_content&task=blogcategory&id=140&Itemid=107

That´s actually quite easy.
Install either Amber (well written, well voiced fighter/thief NPC with pretty interesting romance track and rather elaborate quest) or Keto (also well written, awesomely voiced bard NPC with really entertaining and even more elaborate quest).
So far, both have only SoA content so you can replace them with Irenicus without any loss of content.
Both are much more fun than most of vanilla NPCs.

Amber´s here: http://koti.welho.com/vmarttil/amber/
Keto here: http://www.pocketplane.net/mambo/index.php?option=com_content&task=blogcategory&id=140&Itemid=107

I may try that!

Sorcerer help needed.

A great thread this is, mmm lots of wonderfull info it has..mmm :)

Anyhow here is a question to you honorable bg2 wizzards! So i'm starting an other bg2 rerun today and this time i'm going to create a sorcerer. So my question is: How does he differ from a mage really? Ofcourse I know that he doesn't need to memorize spells nor can't learn any new spells from the scrolls. Moreover he learns less spells. So I tried googling and found a sorcerer guide.

My mage characters have always had high int/con/dex. Then again the manual states that sorcerer's prime prequisite is INT even if he can't learn from the scrolls! To make things even more confusing the user made guide states that int is nearly useless for a sorcerer? I need obviously a bit of INT to use wands and launch scrolls, but other that I see no point? And whats the deal with Charisma really? Does it affect on his spell casting powers? I'm confused.

High Dex is a must obviously as well as high con. What about other stats? What would you recommand? Strenght can ofcourse be lowered as my sorcerer will have bunch of stupid warriors protecting him. Me and Edwin will have couple of good laughs from a far :) Decent charisma is needed for rp purposes, but if it has any effect on my spell casting i want to max it.

Last edited:
IIRC Stats don't really matter for a BG2-Sorcerer; It's a bit of a waste to raise CON to more than 16, because thats the Cap for Bonus-Hitpoints for Non-Warriors; High Wisdom gives a bonus to Saving-Throws IIRC; High INT helps a bit against Mindflayers, right now I can only remember one or two situations where high Int had an Influence on the Dialogue; DEX 18 is nice for the AC-Bonus; DEX 19 makes you only a better Knive-/Dart-Thrower IIRC...

The most important thing is to be careful with the Spell-Selection.

AFAIK the Spells for the Sorcerer are only Level-based, INT or CHA doesen't matter for Spellcasting at all (of cause this changed in 3e); at least I remember that I played once a Sorcerer without maxed INT or CHA and had no problems at all - OTOH my BG 2 Installation was always modded until the point you couldn't recognize the Game at all :)

My last BG2-Playthrough was a few years ago - between NWN2, WoW, the Witcher and now Drakensang I just don't find the time for another Go :)

For a sorcerer, neither charisma nor intelligence increases neither available spells nor spells per day.

I thought INT still matters for sorcerers in BG2. Obviously, CHR don't matter since that applies from 3rd ed. Sorcerers learn spells more slowly than mages, but you do not need to prepare them before rest. Say you have 6 slots for lv one spell, then you can cast whatever you want from lv on for 6 times. If you were mage, you can only cast 6 lv 1 spells you've prepared before rest.

Here are the basics of a sorcerer:
- Charisma based (yes, also in BG2), meaning his/her spells are affected only by charisma. You need to max this stat, period.
- Can't learn/unlearn spells from scrolls, nor select what spells to prepare for the day. Learning spells is done only at level ups, and the spells you select are permanent. Playing a sorcerer means you have to plan which spells to take, or you might risk missing some valuable ones.
- As purplebob mentioned, they don't cast spells like mages. Wizard have X slots, and fill them with selected spells. Sorcerers can cast X number of spells of a certain level, and can choose which spell to cast without preparing. They generally also have more spells per day.
- A well built sorcerer is, without doubt, more powerful than any wizard, due to their flexibility and number of spells per day.

- Charisma based (yes, also in BG2), meaning his/her spells are affected only by charisma. You need to max this stat, period.
Affected in what way? As has already been mentioned, sorcerers don't gain any of the bonuses mages get from intelligence by pumping charisma. AFAIK intelligence/charisma don't affect spell penetration either, that's only 3E D&D/NWN.

My advice would be:
Dex: 18 (19 if elf)
Con: 16
Wisdom: 18 (for the wish spells)
Str, Int & Cha: Whatever spare points you can afford.
Int and Cha can't go below 9 at character creation, but remember for later that an Int of 9 or more is required to cast spells from scrolls.

Hmm, indeed. Now that I think about it, Sorcerers aren't affected by any stats at all. I've never really understood why people take so much dex on a sorcerer - they get stoneskin almost right away, and shouldn't be tanking more than the stoneskin can handle.

All in all, sorcerers need 16 constitution and that's it. Everything else depends on what kind of character the player wants to make.

Really? I knew CHR don't matter but I thought INT still affects amount of spell you can cast.

Hmm, indeed. Now that I think about it, Sorcerers aren't affected by any stats at all. I've never really understood why people take so much dex on a sorcerer - they get stoneskin almost right away, and shouldn't be tanking more than the stoneskin can handle.
Higher dex means higher AC means longer stoneskin (as well as improved missile weapon THAC0). And you need to put those ability score points somewhere. Dex, Con and Wis is where I'd put them.

Back
Top Bottom