2009/2010 NHL Playoffs

Did you know that Shark is a wonderful fish for eating? Sweet and boneless. :)

Go ahead and bite - see what happens. Conference finals let's see who can swim with them.

Get your picks in - I'll have the totals of the second round soon.

canadiens to the final! in 6 games.

sharks to the final in 6 games too.

I'm with GG, Sharks and Habs in 6 each.

Sharkies in 7
Montreal in 6

Sharks and Flyers for the final. I'll be changing in by Blue and Green for Teal, at least temporarily. Looks like it starts today at 4.

This is history: never before has the number 7 and 8 seeds met in a conference final.

more history: Flyers did what happened only 5 times before: came up from being down 3-0 in a series, and 3-0 deficit in game 7 to top it off. These are rarer than a perfect game in baseball.

I think we can add a further note of irony by noting the 1st and 2nd seeds in the West are playing eat other.

this round is with 4 pints for each win so potentially 8 points.

Hope im not too late. Forgot to get my picks in.
Habs and Hawks in 7 each.

The Vs announcers named an '84 team and the '91 Pens but researching the Pen's series that was a 3-1 deficit to NJ before they went on to win the cup over the Cinderella North Stars who had half they're team (the good players) taken away by the Gund Bros to SJ.

You are right. I knew it was two, I shouldn't listen to Vs announcers..ever!

Second Round results - wins worth 2 points

SJ 4
Det 1
Chi 4
Van 2
Mtl 4
Pit 3
Phi 4
Bos 3

Corwin
(3+3+4+2) x 2 = 24 + 26 = 50

Dte
(1+2+3+4) x 2 = 20 + 24 = 44

Icefire
(3+3+1+4) x 2 = 22 + 26 = 48

Me
(3+4+4+2) x 2 = 26 + 26 = 52

GG
(3+3+2+1) x 2 = 18 + 26 = 44

JDR
(1+4+3+3) x 2 = 22 + 27 = 49

That moves me out front and JDR slips two places, though I'd rather be losing and have my Blue and Green in. Cheering for the Sharks I got fellow Nuckies back home shocked I'm not cheering for the Habs simply because I'm Canadian. I explained I'll cheer for any Canadian team so long as they aren't Calgary, Toronto, Montreal, or Edmonton. I even cheered for Winnipeg this year but that didn't work out.

Standings
Lucky 52
Corwin 50
JDR 49
Icefire 48
Dte 44
GG 44

Watch out for Corwin - he stays consistently in 2nd. In case you didn't know, conference finals wins are worth 4 points each.

I knew I was in trouble for round 2. The Flyers' miracle was the only thing that saved me from total destruction.

Ouch from second to last...... well to my defence the quarterfinals were weeeeeiiird.

just make sure you recheck your numbers - I'm doing this by hand so I won't say I can't make a mistake.

the conference finals are weird too - they are turning into unexpected blowouts. I wouldn't be surprised if both Chicago and Philadelphia sweeped.

The Chicago/San Jose series is looking like a repeat of the Vancouver series - Nabakov is out to challenge the people hogging his net and its his silly and somewhat fluky mistakes that are costing him. As well, Chicago is allowing the same style in reverse - letting the opposing forwards in behind their D believing they can't bury or roof a garbage goal over Breiny.

I have to admit to being very surprised that Chicago won the first 2 games in San Jose. If Chicago wins game 3, I think it'll end up being a sweep.

Regardless, whoever wins the Western Conference is taking home the Cup.

Stick a fork in Montreal, the Canadiens are finished.

The same was said about them when they were down 3-1 to the Caps. The caps and pens didnt have the defense the flyers do, and I think they're toast too, but you never know.

It's not really about the Flyers defense as much as it's about the fact that they have the Canadiens figured out. It was Montreal's system that frustrated the Caps and Pens, and it's not working against the Flyers.

Well, that's a surprise, clean sweep by the Hawks. Looks like the final may well be Hawks vs Flyers. If that's the case, it will be Hawks in 5.

Strange year we've got here. It's the year of the no-name goalie, not really carrying his team (even Halak has only truly stolen a game or two on his own so far) so much as quietly being good enough to get thru. It's not like Giggy and the Scrub Ducks or Kipper, Iginla, and a bunch of pylons, like the good old days.

Over on LetsGoWings.com, someone did an analysis of the final 5 (this was before game 7 of the Flyers/Bruins series) and the common thread was a big investment on the blue line. The last teams standing had talented, mobile d-men that could actually play D (unlike, say, Mike Green) and the division of their payroll reflected it. Of course, this guy's angle was that the rest of the league had finally figured out the approach the Wings had been using since 2002, which you're welcome to dispute, but the argument seems sound.

I log in to post my pick for the finals. I assume we are done? Or is it just that everyone was going to pick the hawks anyways?

Back
Top Bottom