A lack of boxed versions rant

I am also looking for a retail copy of Konung 3 but no luck so far.

I thought you might want to know I finally found a boxed copy of Konung 3 here :D

Mine shipped today. Unfortunately, when I checked the link to paste it here, the price was back up to $36.99 from the $9.99 sale price I paid for it… Sorry :(

Yesterday I read that the GErman distributor of the Tales Of MOnkey Island will also distribute a to 3000 specimens limited edition of the Tales Of Monkey Islands bundle in a BIG box.
The normal release is the standard DVD box.
And the source (an adventure-games oriented forum) also said that the distributor said that these big boxes can rather be found at "indepndents or at dedicated game shops), meanwhile Amazon and electronics chains like Saturn) will only receive the standard release.

It will be dificult to hunt a specimen down. Because our market here is dominated by a) electronics chains, b) Manazon, err, Amazon ;) c) Ebay d) Gamestop. Indpendent and dedicated gaming shops have become very, very rare.

I prefer the downloaded versions, as long as they're cheaper than the boxed ones. It's just not fair to pay the same price for a download than for a box with a DVD and manual.

I would agree with that. Also, if you are going to put everything in digital format, for the love of God, allow your game to run in a windowed mode!!! I have two monitors at home and it's really frustrating to play a game with a PDF manual and not be able to easily have them both up and switch easily between them.

I thought you might want to know I finally found a boxed copy of Konung 3 here :D

Mine shipped today. Unfortunately, when I checked the link to paste it here, the price was back up to $36.99 from the $9.99 sale price I paid for it… Sorry :(

Thanks for the link. Will wait for another sale. Is it completely in English including text on the box and printed manual or just the game? I found a copy of Star Wolves 3 on Dutch ebay. Quite hard to find and it is full English release including case cover and manual.

Thanks for the link. Will wait for another sale. Is it completely in English including text on the box and printed manual or just the game? I found a copy of Star Wolves 3 on Dutch ebay. Quite hard to find and it is full English release including case cover and manual.

Konung III arrived today. Besides the Chinese(?) sticker on the plastic wrap, everything is in English. It came in a DVD style case and included a printed 12 page manual (color cover, B&W inside) that was also in English. I didn't see anything indicating the country of manufacture on the case, manual or disk.

I'm very glad I got a hard copy, as I really enjoyed the first game. But it'll be a while before I play this one as I haven't played the second one yet. :)

Ascension To The Throne has shown up in the US market in a jewel case. YesAsia is carrying it in a DVD case(I assume). I'll keep and eye on that in-case of a price drop.

I just received Arcania Collector's Edition and it's beautiful. I just wonder, why the CEs are so rare to find and yet they complain about piracy.

A.jpg

Looks nice. Too bad the actual game is so mediocre.

That's like putting a lump of dog shit in a bag made of silk. ;)

Yeah, I know, but the boxed version was so beautiful and inexpensive that I had to buy it. Like the "diamond" thing on top of it and cloth map of course. :D

Poland's CEs for Drakensang look - at least in my eyes - even better than the German CEs.

The pinnacle of CEs is imho the PE.
(And the even rarer EE.)

I don't know how rare or common PEs are, but I only know of handcrafted editor's editions (EEs) for Dragon Age - and of Amazon-only Drakensang 2.

Gamestar Editor's Edition of Dragon Age : http://www.gamestar.de/index.cfm?pid=1589&pk=12864

And us. Germany and Poland, in my opinion, get the best editions.

Europe seems to get a lot of nice CE versions that aren't released over here, especially when it comes to crpgs.

Both of your markets have in common that (a) there is no shelf space available for non-AAA stuff without a big publisher supporting it and (b) the general unwillingness to pay full price for "smaller" PC games.

If your money says you want budget releases, you'll get budget releases. ;) In case of the UK even without any bonus stuff, without additional languages (to avoid gray imports), etc.

Normal prices in Germany are 45€ for a normal retail copy and 55-60€ (but sometimes much more) for a CE. You guys can buy 2 new games for that.

Back
Top Bottom