A list of possible Roleplaying Games in 2007

Status
Not open for further replies.
I found some info about Day Watch and added it to the list. Also moved Nethergate and Grimoire. Unfortunally I now ran into the 10000 characters limit. I might have to bury the thread and start a new when more is added.

Interesting ... I see Day Watch paperback is coming out here in a couple of weeks. I'll keep an eye.

Those Jagged Alliance 3 screen shots are quite promising, I do hope they have an option to display the characters faces by default instead of gas-masks/night-vision goggles.

Grotesque and the unannounced RPG project by the Ankh developers are missing. The latter might be due in 2008.
The SpellForce 2 add-on comes out in 2 weeks. I would expect the G3 add-on for Christmas.

Right, Grotesque. This is the RPG I'm actually looking most forward to. :) (Apart from Larian's title and Dragon Age.)

Nice work!

There are quite a few interesting projects on the horizon, not quite sure what I'm looking forward to most - hypes these days all sound the same to me. I guess we will know more once more videos and so on are released.

Inquisitor.
BTW was putting Shivering Isles under "action" a political statement?

Oblivion is not turnbased or pauseable to plan your combat actions. Combat takes place in real time and speed/reflexes will help you. In what way isnt Shivering Isles an action-rpg?

I'd place it in the yet to be developed/made box!! :)

I highly doubt we'll see Alien RPG in 2007.

I would place Gothic 1-3 in action rpg's.

So I guess you were not being just another Oblivion hater. That's an interesting qualifier you are using - since player twitch skill is certainly involved and isnt about "role" at all. On the other hand, certainly the Gothic series is as "deep" as any RPG you'll find (although you can't create a character, you can only shape him).

So I guess you were not being just another Oblivion hater. That's an interesting qualifier you are using - since player twitch skill is certainly involved and isnt about "role" at all. On the other hand, certainly the Gothic series is as "deep" as any RPG you'll find (although you can't create a character, you can only shape him).

An action rpg to me is simply a roleplaying game which use real-time combat played through speed and twitch skills. Games like Oblivion, Gothic, Fable, Dungeon Siege 2, Jade Empire, Lionheart, Divine Divinity etc belongs there.
It's not a genré I look down on.

If it lacks roleplaying, it's a hack & slash, like Titan Quest and Diablo. That's however a genré I can barely stand.

Indeed. I wonder where you would place Puzzle Quest :)

the 'role' playing game definition discussion has dawned on me the understanding that helps me realize why rpg is too vague a term. more traditional rpg's and thus the gamers who have been playing them for ages seem to think the 'role' needs to contain the 'roll' that is part of the long list of traditional rpg, why games that don't focus on the 'roll' but rather the action of the 'role' are somehow seen as not a true rpg. also i would say that any 'roll' playing game that isn't turn based is a game that require action/twitch skills because it still takes timing to issue spells and skills. i probably should shut up though as there is another thread for this.

I think it needs it's own thread, but the "what is an rpg" subject gets more people's blood pressure up than the entire Politics and Religion forum. ;)

Elfs.

Jiggling elf breasts.

Dual wielding swords.

Romances.

Level 99.

Something about asserting a character's nature and role in an interactive narrative or setting, I guess.

Dragon Age and that Alien RPG are probably the only things that I have mild interest, for now. The Witcher, maybe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom