A little information on C++

gaboru93

Sentinel
Can anybody give me a link from where do download it? i lost my CD and couldn't find C++

Do you need a compiler?

I recall there were some free Visual Studio downloads a while ago ... anyone know what happened with that?

Wow ... that link is Borland ... I used Turbo C++ for my first instrument control project at my last job ... <sniff>

Watcom (previously for PROFIT company) has made their C/C++ compiler available for free in recent years. Here is a link to where you can download it:

http://ftp.openwatcom.org/ftp/

Assuming you are looking for the PC/Win32 version, this is the installer file you should get: "open-watcom-c-win32-1.7a.exe".

There are links for manuals and even the compiler source code if you want that too.

Free trial versions can be downloaded from here if you're working on Windows.

And contrary to Bart's blatherings, C++ is the only language worth learning if you're planning to become a real programmer. Anything else is for posers and wannabees.

</sarcasm>

Free trial versions can be downloaded from here if you're working on Windows.

And contrary to Bart's blatherings, C++ is the only language worth learning if you're planning to become a real programmer. Anything else is for posers and wannabees.

</sarcasm>
vi rules!
then comes Assembler and then you have perl

When I was young *cough* I always wanted to learn Assembler, don't know why.

Nowadays I wouldn't dare it, because I have difficulties with Maths.

Didn't realize it back then.

C++ was fun until nothing I did worked.

Funny. Programming languages come in Fads then they are dumped on then come back again. First it was Cobol and Fortran as being old and primitive, then Basic was looked down up by Pascal and Assembler, then Pascal was poo-pooed by C, C++ came along and all the C++ programmer claimed to have used Assembler before, then Basic came back in the form of Visual and Pascal in the form of Delphi but are now forotten, Java comes along and now no one admits that C++ was any good. The current phenoms of PHP, and Python are shoving everything out of the way (like asp and cgi) and and somehow Perl has become popular. But Java is becoming old thanks to C# because Java has always suffered due to scaling problems and being resource hog. How many people know that Java and Javascript are two different things? And how about this, Fortran is making a comeback!

Programming Languages go full full circle and there's benefits in most languages on how they do the same thing. I'm not an expert with Python but I'm going to go out on a limb and guess it will get about as popular as the Macintosh for making things too easy for you.

Had to learn Cobol (when it was already 'old') and 'brand new' C++ back at U... and I was pretty astonished when I discovered that some of the more current scripts in games were done in C++. Didn't even know it was still around, the only other language I've seen in use lately is Perl.

I know nothing about programming, but my son had to learn Java for his IT degree; that was the only language they offered!!

My first programming language was Turbo Pascal; it taught me to do programming scructured, and I'm still grateful for that.

My both favourite languages are SQL & Java - well, you can't compile with SQL, but nevertheless - and my interest to Visual C++ dropped down since I had *that* crash on my home Win98SE PC while debugging a program from my training (we had NT PCs there, which aren't that sensitive to memory-related bugs - unlike Win5-based PCs. Since then, I believe that the memory protection systems of NT-based systems lead to rather sloppy programming, because the protection sort of "conceals" bugs that might crash on Win95-based systems).

I always tried to get into Delphi programming, but never succeeded far.
Such a shame !

They've always taught us in U that C++ is the mother of all languages and taught us everything (except object oriented programming and databse) with C++...but that's probably because they don't have enough resources to teach us with Java..

Back
Top Bottom