At Least 14 Killed in Colo. Movie Shooting

Not necessarily. Guns coming from Mexico were never legally owned in the US.

Which percentage do you believe are guns from Mexico compared to guns from the US?

As for guns that are stolen from lawful citizens, I don't think denying people the right to bear arms is justified because of criminal actions of others.

Are there any case in which you believe legislation is in order because someone in a moment of carelessness can cause a lot of harm?

Well, you didn't say per capita. I don't think it is significantly higher though per capita.

US 4.8/2.8 vs UK 1.23/0.03 (1st number total, 2nd firearms only)

I don't think culture has anything to do with if someone is mentally ill.

In Sweden we have a city known as Järna where diseases are much more common, including diseases that are otherwise known as distinct or rare. Järna is a stronghold for anthroposophy, a belief system that among other things reject vaccines and/or vaccination. Do culture cause disease?

Sometimes it's not about causing, but about absence of prevention.

Which percentage do you believe are guns from Mexico compared to guns from the US?

Right now, probably not that high (at least in the non-assualt rifle class), but should we say ban production or ownership of firearms, you can bet that there would be a massive flood coming over the border. It's like asking how many bootleg liquor productions are there in the US today? (Outside of personal use)

Virtually none, but during prohibition they were all over the place because the criminals saw opportunity.

Are there any case in which you believe legislation is in order because someone in a moment of carelessness can cause a lot of harm?

That's a pretty broad question and covers really too many things. Should anyone be allowed to walk into a nuclear reactor and play with the knobs? Of course not. Should we ban driving because someone could kill one or many people with a car? Of course not. Gun violence is over blown in the media. You chances are dying in a car wreck are significantly higher than being killed by a bullet.

US 4.8/2.8 vs UK 1.23/0.03 (1st number total, 2nd firearms only)

You asked about crazy people, not about death or method. You keep moving the target.

In Sweden we have a city known as Järna where diseases are much more common, including diseases that are otherwise known as distinct or rare. Järna is a stronghold for anthroposophy, a belief system that among other things reject vaccines and/or vaccination. Do culture cause disease?

Mental illness is not caused by disease.

Sometimes it's not about causing, but about absence of prevention.

Mental illness is not something that can be prevented in most cases. It can be treated, but again, people have to want treatment since we can't force it on them.

Holmes is a smart guy. He rigged his place up with explosives before leaving. Even if he didn't have access to guns, all he needed was access to Home Depot to make a fertilizer bomb which he easily could have killed as many or more people in that theater with. Crazy people will figure out how to kill, guns or not. Fear-mongering over gun ownership just denies the rights of people that will use them responsibly.

Holmes is a smart guy.

He was a student of Neuroscience, the press says.

Which might imply that he really knew how to annoy people first.

The press article said that he not only did place explosive traps in his flat, he also turned up the volume of his music player to the maximum to annoy people and lure them into his flat so that they would complain. Then, they would be killed or at least injured by his traps.

He knew what he was doing. He planned it, and he knew a *lot* about how human's brains work - due to his knowledge of Neuroscience.

THe Norwegian assassinator was similar. He had planned everything. He had bought something to appear as a farmer, then bought small amounts of what he later used as explosives over the time of several years, if I remember the press entry correctly.

This isn't Avengers. It's Reality.

And people want to know how to prevent things like this from happening. I say you can't, but you can control how you deal with it. Violence has always been one of the fundamental ways humans interact with each other. Obliterating every weapon on the face of the planet isn't going to change that. But instead of realizing this, spitting on our hands, and getting to work we behave like scared little children. And worthless freaks like Holmes and his ilk can turn our whole world upside down whenever they choose because of it.

See there is that defeatist attitude again, so common in conservatism. I'd prefer a finding solution rather than accepting the status quo.

LEM has an interesting take on this issue. I present it here from his blog:

The most disturbing aspect of the latest mass shooting in Aurora, to me, is the fact that, on paper at least, James Holmes was a comparatively privileged young man… as were both of the Columbine High School shooters ten years ago. We’re not talking about poor oppressed minorities, but about young people who grew up in moderately affluent family situations. In the case of Holmes, he was even an honor student at the University of California, Riverside, but he couldn’t get a job better than minimum wage, and he entered a doctoral program in neuroscience at the University of Colorado School of Medicine, where he struggled and then dropped out. Somewhere around that time, he began to buy weapons and ammunition.
So why would a quiet young man from a comparatively privileged background commit such a terrible crime? I’d submit that one of the key factors was precisely that background.
As I’ve expressed more than a few times, the continual expression of the Lake Wobegon theme [the place where all the children are above average] is not only false, but has been incredibly damaging to the younger generations. Because they’re not all outstanding. By definition, only a small percentage can be well above average, and the perks and privileges and jobs are going to go to that small percentage. Even if a greater number of young people are brighter than their parents – which I doubt, but even if it is so – it doesn’t matter. The positions at the top are limited. They are in any society, and more education doesn’t mean better opportunities. It means that college graduates essentially have the same opportunities as high school graduates had two to three generations earlier.
As noted by Joel I. Klein, the head of the New York City School system in 2010, “In 1950 high school dropouts made up 59% of the United States workforce, with just 8% represented by college graduates. As recently as 2005, these numbers have nearly reversed: 32% of workers have a college degree, while 8% are high school dropouts.”
This change in work-force composition has several ramifications. First, an undergraduate college degree is likely not going to be the passport to a high paying job that it was in past generations. According to initial reports, that was one of the frustrations expressed by Holmes, that even with a bachelor’s degree in neuroscience, he could only find McDonald’s level jobs.
In addition, the dumbing down of both high school and collegiate undergraduate curricula and requirements has resulted in an entire generation of young people, of whom only a tiny percentage have been truly tested, and who have been told time after time how special they are. In general, they’ve been shielded from failure and told they’re wonderful. In essence, not until his mid-twenties did Holmes discover that he really wasn’t that special and that the world didn’t care. The fact that our culture also values “personality” over technical and subject matter excellence, no matter what anyone says, adds even more fuel to the fire for those who are bright and socially awkward, as Holmes was said to be.
The pattern manifested by Holmes – and others – is familiar to forensic psychologists. While not all young people who are alienated, depressed, and angry are violent, it appears that almost universally the violent are alienated, depressed, and angry. In the case of Holmes and the Columbine killers, and Ted Kaczynski, the Unabomber, it is highly likely that a key motivating factor is anger by those from a privileged background who couldn’t deal with failure and wanted to blame others for it. They believed they deserved more, and the fact that they hadn’t gotten what they wanted must have been the fault of others. Hadn’t everyone told them how special they were?
Now… there will be years of study, and debate and counter-debate, but I’d be very surprised if anyone actually discusses the issues I’ve raised. After all, how could we go wrong as a society by telling our wonderful children how special they are?

And were his parents hateful and did they instill their hate in him?

His mother was quoted as saying "You got the right one" after he was picked up. What is going on there?

Sigh…Do you even follow your own argument? Lets walk you through what you typed:

I'm pretty sure I do, yes, but let's see if you do.

I then showed that cartels in Mexico have no problem putting their hands on weapons and it has nothing to do with their proximity to states that have what you call "lax" gun laws. The average Mexican citizen has almost 0 access to guns, unless they dig out their dad/granddad's half century old Colt .38 super. That sounds like "not working" to me.

Polite and intelligent discussion would be easier if you didn't abandon everything you previously stated everytime you post a new response.

You showed? You're kidding right? You have a theory and you expect me to accept that as some kind of evidence?

I asked for evidence that taking guns off the street wouldn't help the issue.

If laws aren't helping in Mexico - then that's laws in Mexico. Are we not talking about a place of deep corruption where most laws are all but irrelevant?

How can an intelligent person overlook how Mexico is not America - at least I hope it's not America in terms of corruption and rampant violent crime nationwide.

Laws can't work unless citizens generally follow them - which they generally do in most western cultures. Well, at least the laws that will actually be enforced.

I have no idea where Mexicans are getting their weapons - but according to your claims (which could be true) - they have even MORE easy access to even more deadly weapons.

Is that's not blatantly clear evidence that we NEED to get guns off the streets if the result is so much violence?

In America, laws WOULD make a difference - because America isn't Mexico. I assume much of your country still respects the law, right? I would hope so.

In Mexico - it seems laws are not really functioning. But guns on the street is still a HUGE issue - and they need to get off.

This debate isn't about laws or no laws - it's about access to weaponry.

If you acknowledge that weapons should be off the streets everywhere - then we agree at heart.

So, how about it? Assuming we could get guns off the street in general (no not all of them, that's impossible) - would you support that?

Anyone who's determined to kill with a gun will find a way to acquire one regardless of laws or accessibility. A sociopath like James Holmes would have accomplished what he did anywhere. The only difference would be the amount of time and effort.

@JDR13
indeed, we should focus mainly on reasons that make a person kill someone else. After that, we can move to levels of accessibility that help or not.

The thing is that they're not determined for a very long time, and if you have a mental breakdown - it matters A LOT what you have access to.

Guns are a particularly big problem because of their level of convenience and lethality combined. In modern society - there's really no easier way to murder a lot of people without fearing physical reprisal - especially if you're suicidal.

I'm not talking about deliberate and planned crimes by serial killers or base murderers - because in that case you're absolutely right. I'm talking about crimes of passion and psychotic breaks - stuff like that. I'm talking about what happens when something unexpected happens - and when people don't have time to think or react with their brains.

Do NOT underestimate the impact of the path of least resistance.

As for Holmes - we don't know enough about him. But we have plenty of examples beyond him - where people just went nuts at their school or whatever. That's the kind of thing we can prevent - as well as a shit-load of passion crimes that happen in the heat of the moment. Will it prevent killing overall? Of course it won't. It will INEVITABLY reduce killing. How many lives need be lost before having a weapon because it's your right is no longer worth it?

Back
Top Bottom