Best BG "complete" mod?

I downloaded BGT and I'm trying to install everything now.

How big a deal would it be to play BG2 without the NPC companions? I tend to prefer making my own party - but if there's a lot of story, that's essential, tied to the companions, I should probably live with them.

How big a deal would it be to play BG2 without the NPC companions? I tend to prefer making my own party - but if there's a lot of story, that's essential, tied to the companions, I should probably live with them.

It would be a big difference. Every companion has at least 1 quest that is tied to him/her, and iirc, some locations are only accessible that way.

That said, I wouldn't call them "essential".

I thought most of the companions were fairly decent though. Enough that they added to the overall experience. The NPCs in BG2 are much better than those in BG, but there are less of them. In fact, there aren't even enough evil NPCs to have an all-evil party if you wanted.

Man… you're REALLY making me wish I had time to do a replay right now. :)

I downloaded BGT and I'm trying to install everything now.

I'd say ABSOLUTELY ESSENTIAL. If you don't take around NPCs, you are missing out a lot!! Remember, BG2 is known for absolutely fantastic NPCs!

Ok, you convinced me to use NPC companions ;)

Everything installed just fine with BGT. Much easier than the last compilation I tried. Not sure which one that way, but it was apparently very different.

Spent 15 minutes rerolling abilities - as I'm a min-max'er with a passion. I'm going for my Kensai/Mage dual-class build. No idea how good it is, but we'll see.

Just completed the tutorial area - and now I've got that annoying little girl with me :(

Oh it's good… too good imo.

It's a common opinion that the Kensai/Mage is the ultimate powergamer class in BG2. Which is why I would never play one.

Hehe, I actually didn't know that. I always wanted to play a dual-class in Baldur's Gate - but I never managed to import one into BG2.

After it became possible to use BG2 classes/packages in BG1 - I stumbled upon the Kensai - and I thought it would be ideal because of the no armor requisite :)

I enjoy powergaming, so it sounds good to me :)

I feel they're overrated. First of all, Berserker is a better foundation than the Kensai. Losing a minor damage and speed increase for Berserk and the ability to wear magical items is a very good trade. Secondly, there's a huge gap in the game between where you dual class and where your old class becomes active again. During this gap, your main character is virtually useless. Finally, there are classes/combos that shine the whole way through instead of just the final third of the series.

Don't get me wrong though, they do get really powerful, but you shouldn't expect a powerhouse until you're about halfway through BG2.

Secondly, there's a huge gap in the game between where you dual class and where your old class becomes active again. During this gap, your main character is virtually useless. .

There are ways to shorten that gap considerably. Although it's sort of an exploit and isn't necessary if you have a decent party…

Since you earn large amounts of XP for successfully learning new spells in BG2, make sure to hoard a lot of spell scrolls for when you dual-class.

When that time comes (I've read that level 13 is an ideal level to switch a Kensai to Mage), dismiss everyone from your party so that your PC gets all the XP. Read all the scrolls and then round your party back together.

I've heard people say they went from level 1 to level 10 or more instantly by doing that.

Yeah, I used that trick once. It'll still leave you short though, and you still need to go through a significant part of BG2 before you actually activate both classes. Also worth keeping in mind that you'll mess up XP progression that way - all of a sudden you can bump into Liches while the rest of your party is lagging behind. I generally prefer to keep most party members as close to the main character as possible in terms of XP.

I'm having a hard time finding a good collection of scripts. Not that I really need them, but I'm pretty tired of my ranged characters entering melee every other fight.

Can you recommend some good AI scripts?

I never use scripts, unlike in DA: O where I find them quite useful. In BG I manually control every character. I often just select them all and tell them to attack the same target for focus fire. If you use that method, remember to equip casters with ranged weapons or they'll enter melee combat when you tell them to attack something.

I feel they're overrated. First of all, Berserker is a better foundation than the Kensai. Losing a minor damage and speed increase for Berserk and the ability to wear magical items is a very good trade. Secondly, there's a huge gap in the game between where you dual class and where your old class becomes active again. During this gap, your main character is virtually useless. Finally, there are classes/combos that shine the whole way through instead of just the final third of the series.

Don't get me wrong though, they do get really powerful, but you shouldn't expect a powerhouse until you're about halfway through BG2.
Yes.
The variant dual classed at level 13 basically means you spend playing most of both games with an underpowered class (kensai isn´t really calibrated for BG1, plain mages are weaker than multi ones and also outperformed by Edwin).
I´d say that to get more out of the combo when playing with a full party, dualling at level 9 is desirable and while that variant belongs among the top tier classes, I certainly wouldn´t say it´s more "overpowered" than, say, fighter/mage, berserker->mage, ranger/cleric, blade or sorcerer.

I'm having a hard time finding a good collection of scripts. Not that I really need them, but I'm pretty tired of my ranged characters entering melee every other fight.

Can you recommend some good AI scripts?
No, since I´ve only ever used pre-buff scripts from Sword Coast Stratagems.
However, have you checked eSeries mod?
That seems like it may provide what you wish for.

Ok…

I got my archers to stop switching by using the "Custom (default)" script.

So, now, most fights take care of themselves. The non-story fights are generally trivially easy with 3 decent archers ;)

I could never play this game without AI scripts, as I'd be bored to tears. Only the most important fights are interesting/challenging enough for manual control.

I'm very lazy in that way.

The Kensai is pretty decent so far (I'm level 6). I play on "Core" rules - and it seems reasonably balanced. As per standard 2nd Edition games - you need to get to 2-3 level ASAP - to stop the silly critical hit deaths every 2 minutes.

Party setup (for those interested):

Casus Lond (That's me) - Kensai - Dual wielding Bastard Swords
Jaheira - Fighter/Druid - Quarterstaff (I will be switching to Scimitar/Shield for tanking)
Khalid - Fighter - Longbow (Comp. Longbow when I get STR bracers)
Minsc - Magical Longbow (Some +2 DAM/HIT thingy I found)
Imoen - Thief - Shortbow +1
Dynaheir - Mage (Invoker) - Mostly magic missiles/fireball

Game holds up marvellously - with plenty of open world exploration and hidden stuff. The writing is pretty weak/silly for most NPCs - but it's entertaining enough.

I find it has a very good rythm of linear/non-linear gameplay. I know BG2 is much more linear - but I'm hoping the story/locations will make up for it. I never got much beyond the starter dungeon in the past.

The irony…. I have Mass Effect, Baldur's Gate and Dragon Age installed as pretty much my only games right now. I really, really dislike what Bioware has become - but there's no denying they used to be great developers. Probably the reason why I'm extra disappointed by their latest crap.

Archers are indeed very powerful in BG1. I've played with a similar setup several times and it should work out well. Just keep a few stacks of special arrows in your inventory in case you bump into something that can't be killed with regular ones.

To increase the lethality of your archers and push the powergaming element further within your party, I'd be inclined to dump/remove/murder Khalid in favour of either the Elven death-machine himself - Kivan, or perhaps Mr charisma, Coran.
I always found those two to be the best archers in the game.
You can then shuffle Minsc up as a tank, as is generally his want. :)

Whilst I remember being slightly disappointed with the game the first time I played it back in the day, the game has certainly grown on me over time with the sheer variety of options available for characters and party make-ups.

I like that party for exactly that reason. It simply suits the story better when you import into BG2.

Yeah, I had a feeling those characters were the "right" ones - as you get all of them rather early.

I did replace Imoen with Coran - because he was just a better archer all-round - and pure thieves are rather useless in 2nd edition.

I've considered going with Shivan and that female cleric at the carnival. But, really, I'm not particularly obsessed with powergaming NPCs.

I'm so familiar with 3.5 D&D - that I have no wish to re-learn 2nd Edition for this purpose. But it seems Kensai/Mage is plenty powerful for my idea of a fun playstyle. I enjoy his passive bonuses more than having to activate stuff like Berserker Rage. Also, I'm pretty sure there are spells available that will grant me similar immunities.

Not that B/M wouldn't be powerful - I just like my Kensai more at this point :)

I will use a character editor to switch weapon specializations at some point, as I don't think BG1 has any Katana swords - and I do so love Katanas ;)

Anyway, I'm up to Chapter 6 now and I'm in Baldur's Gate. This is the point where I usually stop playing - as I've never been a big fan of huge cities that need exploring in the middle of a game. I had that same reaction in The Witcher in Chapter 2.

Still, I think I will push on this time :)

Make sure you pump every point you can into traps on Coran, or you'll get fried in certain dungeons. He has a habit of starting way too low in that regard, making it hard to use him as a thief replacement. He's a fantastic archer though.

Chapter 6 already? You're not fucking around. :)

Coran is death incarnate with a composite bow +1. I usually recruit him for part of the game but drop him prior to getting to the city.

I know what you mean about the city though. I feel the same way. It can seem like a chore with so many buildings to look in and people to talk to. I'd rather be exploring the wilderness.

Back
Top Bottom