Buying new PC end of year - looking for some advice/guidance

More positive reinforcement that I didn't overspend for no reason.
Aww, I wouldn't feel bad about having a 4090. :)

It shits on the 7900XTX, which I got, in RT and AI workloads.

The only risk is, according to that recent event with NVIDA leather jacket guy, they're releasing their first MCM GPU for AI super-computers which has two GPUs that act as one, can be written to as one and apparently have acess to the memory at the same speed as one. So, if 5090 is MCM then you'll regret getting a 4090 and also the 7900 will look like crap.

My guy says they WILL go MCM with consumer gaming GPU at some point, but it might not be 5000 series so you're probably going to be #1 for a fair while to come.

At the same time, no issues with my 7900XTX. Really nice GPU. HUGE upgrade over my old 1070. (But I don't do any RT or AI stuff.)

At the same time, no issues with my 7900XTX. Really nice GPU. HUGE upgrade over my old 1070. (But I don't do any RT or AI stuff.)
I haven't had any issues with RT on my 7900XTX. I kept hearing about how it was terrible with RT, but I get around 100 fps in Cyberpunk 2077 on max settings + RT @1440p.

Speaking of graphics cards and buying this year: here’s something to keep in mind re: PCGamer.

Nvidia's mainstream GPUs might increase in price worldwide, as the demand in China outstrips supply​

“You might want to wait until Battlemage and RDNA 4 are launched before getting a new graphics card.”

I haven't had any issues with RT on my 7900XTX. I kept hearing about how it was terrible with RT, but I get around 100 fps in Cyberpunk 2077 on max settings + RT @1440p.
Not with "path-tracing", though, right? Which is kinda what I thought RT was, anyway. That setting tanks my FPS @ 4k into the 20s. Just the other RT options and I get about 80 but if I turn them off I get 110, which I prefer for my 144Hz monitor.

It's not like ANY GPU can actually do 4K RT, anyway. Even NVIDIA is all about the upscaling techs to get any decent framerate.

Not with "path-tracing", though, right? Which is kinda what I thought RT was, anyway. That setting tanks my FPS @ 4k into the 20s. Just the other RT options and I get about 80 but if I turn them off I get 110, which I prefer for my 144Hz monitor.
That's the experimental mode they added later, right? No, I don't think I've tried it. I just used the highest preset which is called RT Ultra or something like that. How significant was the visual difference to you?

It's not like ANY GPU can actually do 4K RT, anyway. Even NVIDIA is all about the upscaling techs to get any decent framerate.
True. We're probably still a couple generations away from GPUs that can do full ray tracing without upscaling.

That's the experimental mode they added later, right? No, I don't think I've tried it. I just used the highest preset which is called RT Ultra or something like that. How significant was the visual difference to you?
Yeah, experimental mode. Ehh, might make for some improved screenshots but nothing you'd really notice while playing for playing sake. I kinda wanted the RT reflections on but I tend to go for performance over quality every time.

Back
Top Bottom