Calling all shooters

dteowner

Shoegazer
Question to pass along for a co-worker. I figure JDR and JemyM at a minimum should have an opinion, but I welcome any and all. My buddy is looking for a good shooter to play on his PS3 (I know, damn console puke...) He recently enjoyed the heck out of Dead Space and he just finished FEAR2 and was only disappointed because he finished it. Anything along those lines he can grab next? I mentioned L4D and he showed some interest, but I wouldn't know if there's other good titles out there. Thoughts? Thanks in advance.

I cannot stand first-person shooters on consoles, but...

Killzone 2 is the most recent and most celebrated shooter on PS3. (Killzone 1 is a PS2 game).

The other FPS for PS3 that got reasonable reviews was Resistance: Fall of Man and the sequel
Resistance 2.

Speaking third-person shooters, he might want to check out Uncharted: Drake's Fortune, which is a mix of genrés, borrowing from games such as "take cover & shoot" Gears of War and "climb & jump" Tomb Raider. Here's GameTrailers review. I haven't played it either, but it have received good praise by almost every review I read.

Some well-known shooters on PS3
--------------------------------------------

Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare
The Orange Box
BioShock
Street Fighter IV - (fighting game)
Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots
Devil May Cry 4
Heavenly Sword

I know he's played Bioshock (I actually ended up buying his PC version when he couldn't go the online activation). I think he's done the HalfLife 2 package and CoD4 as well, but I'll find out tomorrow. Any other creepy, atmospheric shooters out there?

if he can find it for cheap, and he doesn't find clive barker's work disturbing he should check out jericho

There is little on PS3 that isn't also available on PC in terms of shooters ... and the PS3 (despite the power) is the *worst* place to play multi-platform games, as the graphics and performance are scaled back to the point of being worse than the X360, which is the 'target' console 90% of the time ... and of course the PC gets better graphics.

Killzone 2 is getting good reviews, but Resistance 2 is not supposed to be very good.

There is little on PS3 that isn't also available on PC in terms of shooters ... and the PS3 (despite the power) is the *worst* place to play multi-platform games, as the graphics and performance are scaled back to the point of being worse than the X360, which is the 'target' console 90% of the time ... and of course the PC gets better graphics.

I agree. I think your friend would be better off grabbing an Xbox 360 if he's going to stick with consoles.

Last edited:
Darker shooters inc The Darkness and Condemned 2.

I was thinking about Condemned 2, but Condemned 1 is a better game not available on PS3. I personally finished C2 on PS3.

Btw, something tells me that someone who already bought a $4-500 console and asks for a shooter isn't going to take "Please buy a second console for another $3-400" as good advice.

He can take it any way he wants, that doesn't mean it is or isn't good advice.

If he likes quick action, almost like a "snack" ( ;) ) , and is a Star Wars fan, too, then he might look out for SW Battlefront I. Personally, I don't like SWBFII not that much, but it is a good game anyway and has many improvements compared to the first game.

I am just going on what I read on console-centric forums, that say that those 95+ scores are as deserved as they were for Fallout 3 ... in other words, not at all. Decent game, not great is what I'm hearing.

Im not buying into the nostalgia perspective though, when compared to your averages title these days, F3 was one of the best games 2008.

Im not buying into the nostalgia perspective though, when compared to your averages title these days, F3 was one of the best games 2008.

While I agree - and certainly said so in my review - the bottom line is that it is only a 'good' game, with flaws flowing freely and amateur-ish writing. It is good, solid, fun from a year of games that were over-hyped and under-performing.

While I agree - and certainly said so in my review - the bottom line is that it is only a 'good' game, with flaws flowing freely and amateur-ish writing. It is good, solid, fun from a year of games that were over-hyped and under-performing.

You might be right. Im not going to judge the game since I know I am biased (console shooters = bad).

You might be right. Im not going to judge the game since I know I am biased (console shooters = bad).

Hehe ... who am I to judge - I don't have a PS3 or X360 ... :D

Dark shooters that are in dev (for PS3) are Rage and Borderlands. No idea when they will be out though.

Back
Top Bottom