COVID 19 - Coronavirus

Zloth

I smell a... wumpus!?
Talking coronavirus without politics when it's politicians that are actually doing most of the policies makes for some tricky discussions. There's already talk in the Trump topic but this is world wide.

So, just to start it off, some economists have been talking about giving $1000 to every person in the USA (or maybe $1000 per adult and $500 per child). No messing around with figuring out need in favor of getting the cash out fast. I haven't actually heard if that's supposed to be monthly or what.

giphy.gif

The result of the american system: cry, riot to make politics a topic for the common man then once done, confine anything political, including blatant political issues to a secluded place.

Full inversion.

What rankles me a bit at the moment is not the actual political decision making (I certainly don't know the best course of action), but rather some medias' approach towards reporting.

And I don't just mean the obvious yellow press, dramaticising the whole thing even further (that's sad in itself, but I expected no less). Rather, the situation shows a severe lack of professionalism even in the not-so-yellow press.

Just for instance: clearing up the misinformation that is spread.
"Coronavirus spread through toilet paper?"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bbA9Ivei5no
"Will Gargling with Salt Water or Vinegar ‘Eliminate’ the COVID-19 Coronavirus?"
https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/gargling-eliminate-coronavirus/

It can't be so damn difficult to get this right. If you clarify misinformation, do not just repeat the false claim in your title / heading. It will reinforce the claim. Snopes is particularly bad at this, they pretty much do this exclusively.

Surely, many news outlets show more professionalism. But with the frequency and urgency of the reporting, mistakes like that become more critical than they usually are.

For my own sake, I'm not going to rant about the press but keep it to one sentence: The quality of reporting in this country has certainly declined, and one could argue its decline coincides in an inverse relationship with the explosion of news outlets, beginning with cable television and truly falling off the cliff with the Web and mobile phones.

Talking coronavirus without politics when it's politicians that are actually doing most of the policies makes for some tricky discussions. There's already talk in the Trump topic but this is world wide.

So, just to start it off, some economists have been talking about giving $1000 to every person in the USA (or maybe $1000 per adult and $500 per child). No messing around with figuring out need in favor of getting the cash out fast. I haven't actually heard if that's supposed to be monthly or what.

The proposals I've seen from politicians were to make it monthly, at least until such time as the COVID-19 pandemic is dealt with & the economy has recovered. (Presumably that means at least not until a vaccine is readily available).

Rep. Ilhan Omar is introducing a bill that proposes exactly that amount ($1000 per adult and $500 per child). Bernie Sanders has apparently suggested more e.g., ($2000 per adult) though I don't know whether he's going to introduce a bill in the Senate.

Of course, if this were to actually pass Congress I expect the final amount would probably be reduced. I'm not sure how many people are going to be completely without income but it's going to be really rough for anyone who can't telecommute or work in a business that can't be shut down like medical / supermarkets. So perhaps it is better to ask high. Also, if you think about it, $1000/ mo. does not even cover housing costs for a lot of people living in cities if they don't live with another adult/s.

Unemployment is still out there, too, remember. That isn't set up to completely cover your costs but, if you toss in a thousand+, that might get it done for a lot of people.

Like you said, though, cost of living varies a LOT over the USA. Here in KC, $1500/mo would pay the mortgage on a pretty nice house. In southern CA, though, not so much.

It sure will add to the debt, though. $1000 per person would be over 300 billion every month. If we're talking July or August before we get back on our feet, that's getting serious.

So this isn't the result of the "american system".

How. The american system expresses itself anywhere it is adopted.

People do not even take notice, they quote american system proponents and then dismiss influence.

The result of two centuries of institutionalized double standards.

Everyone is equal unless they are not.

As it is common in the american system, people rejoice in equality anytime bad stuff is implied.

Containement measures treat people equally. People are equal potential vectors for the disease.

People who had contact with 100 people per day before the breakout are equal to people who had contact with 50 people per day who are equal to people who had contact with 25 people who are equal to people who had contact with 15 people per day who are equal to people who had contact with 3 people per day.

All of them are equal, all of them must be kept at home. In the american system, people know equality in the bad, everyone is as bad as another person.

Somehow, if the containment measures were applied to people who had under 50 contacts on a daily basis at the exclusion of people who had over 50 vs containment measures applied to anyone who had more than 5 contacts per day, the epidemia would die out quicker in one case than the other.

But in the american system, cultures, people are unequal unless they are and they are in the bad things.

How. The american system expresses itself anywhere it is adopted.
???

People do not even take notice, they quote american system proponents and then dismiss influence.
I'm not dismissing any influences, but I'm pretty certain that the decision of secluding political discusions on this paricular website has nothing to do with that "american system" you're talking about.

The result of two centuries of institutionalized double standards.
??!

Here's the word, straight from the horse's ass. Not surprising it's not very exact, considering the source, but the wording doesn't exactly sound like cash payments for everyone, does it? But this is Trump talking, so who knows?

The wording on that is really beyond vague, and that's probably intentional. Honestly, I'll be surprised if anything is actually passed in congress, let alone checks really being mailed out to citizens. What they could do it tie it to completing the census, but likely that would cause riots in some places, lol.

According to this story cutting checks to regular folks doesn't seem to be much a part of the conversation, but Axios is pretty much just-the-facts bullet points.

Anyone else have some idiot friends who are convinced that this is all part of some grand conspiracy? I have the honor of knowing several people who believe that this is part of a plan to undermine the U.S.

Coincidentally, they're all hardcore Republicans. Hmm…

I got into a heated argument with a long-time friend over this last night. I've known him for 25 years, and he's an intelligent and successful person in most aspects. When it comes to anything political though, he can be a real moron sometimes. He legitimately believes that China intentionally created and released the virus and that they have a vaccine.
:stupid:

Anyone else have some idiot friends who are convinced that this is all part of some grand conspiracy? I have the honor of knowing several people who believe that this is part of a plan to undermine the U.S.

Coincidentally, they're all hardcore Republicans. Hmm…

I got into a heated argument with a long-time friend over this last night. I've known him for 25 years, and he's an intelligent and successful person in most aspects. When it comes to anything political though, he can be a real moron sometimes. He legitimately believes that China intentionally created and released the virus and that they have a vaccine.
:stupid:
In China they think its the US who did it and have a vaccine...

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Here's a perfect example of the kind of conspiracy theorists that I can't stand. I call these people "Trump-tards". The guy even states that he doesn't believe in conspiracy theories and then goes on to lay one out.

Back
Top Bottom