DA:Inquisition - Pre-Loading & New Trailers

Yeah, ultra settings is not important to me. I just want an experience that is comparable (or even slightly better) than what users will receive on the PS4 or Xbone. I imagine I can get that, based on what I'm seeing and hearing. I'll play it with this rig and decide then if I need to upgrade. I'd prefer to wait to pay for the upgrade when Witcher 3 comes out next year.

I meet all the minimum requirements easily except one. My graphics card is a 2 GB AMD 7850 and the recommended is a 7870. I'm assuming my 16 GB of RAM should compensate a bit, perhaps, but I know at some point it just comes down to raw power on the GPU. Anybody else in my boat and thinking of a graphics card upgrade?

If DA:I does need more than 2GB of graphics memory, then unfortunately your RAM won't help you, because in PC architecture the system RAM is not connected efficiently to the gpu – if you run out of graphics memory on the card, there's going to be stuttering.

This didn't used to come up very often, because most all games were designed with the last generation consoles in mind, which meant a low memory ceiling. That ceiling is now lifted on the next gen consoles, so we're seeing much higher requirements suddenly in PC land, too. I would say that if you can get away with 2GB for DA:I, and you very well might, it will quite soon start to become a problem.

If you can find a deal, the new nvidia 970 is probably the card of choice right now – the 980 is a really silly price.

I would say that if you can get away with 2GB for DA:I, and you very well might, it will quite soon start to become a problem.

Oh geez...*headslump*

:raincloud:

I meet all the minimum requirements easily except one.
We can't possibly know how much Frostbite was modified for DA3 and there is no way to get an info if that card won't suffocate the gameplay before the release date. If someone tries to run the game on specs like yours and then posts.

If there was an info it's not changed at all from other Frostbite 3 games I'd suggest trying some Battlefield Hardline demo or something, but since there was no such info, there is no use to try if Battlefield will work without a glitch.

Honestly I wouldn't try to run the game on a machine below minimum specs, but there is still a chance the game will run only you'll have performance problems including sudden crashes.

I'd prefer to wait to pay for the upgrade when Witcher 3 comes out next year.
Good idea.
Next year CDpr will announce min/rec requirements (I wish they do it around xmas so people can use discounts on hardware) and also DA3 will get patched/polished by that time for certain.

Last edited:
Oh geez…*headslump*

:raincloud:

Don't despair! Like I said, I think there's a good chance DA:I will be okay on 2GB. I would say that Witcher 3 is the first RPG where this will really start to bite, and even then 2GB will almost certainly be playable - it'll just start to limit you to the low end of the settings.

Don't despair! Like I said, I think there's a good chance DA:I will be okay on 2GB. I would say that Witcher 3 is the first RPG where this will really start to bite, and even then 2GB will almost certainly be playable - it'll just start to limit you to the low end of the settings.

Yeah, definitely upgrading for Witcher 3, just wasn't sure if I need to now, as I want to enjoy DA:I with some degree of bells and whistles. I'll hold off, as the 7850 2GB is not that far off the 7870 in performance (maybe 10%). Also, DA:I offers mantle support for 7700 series and above I believe and I've heard good things about mantle and Frostbite.

I'll hold off, as the 7850 2GB is not that far off the 7870 in performance (maybe 10%).

Yeah, that's the real bummer - there's lots of good cards out there that have a GPU which could serve well for a long time, but they're going to start being hamstrung because they weren't fitted with enough memory. They were made just at the wrong moment, before graphics memory requirements started to jump.

I seriously doubt anyone will have issues running DA:I with a 2GB card.

You are correct. I have a widget that runs on the LCD on my keyboard that shows me how much memory my GPU is using. I run at my games at 2560x1600 on a GTX Titan with 6 gigs of video ram. I have NEVER seen a game that uses more than 2 gigs of video ram. In fact, using more than 1 gig is pretty rare.

If you want to get a conversation going, just say something about GPUs. :p

It's Denuvo and it's not DRM, it's an anti-tamper. Origin is the DRM. The explanation.

Thanks for the explanation and link.

It is applied to the single player only Lords of the Fallen, and seems to apply 1-5% continuous overhead in terms of processor loading - this means that it is always running in the background! Hmm

Thanks for the explanation and link.

It is applied to the single player only Lords of the Fallen, and seems to apply 1-5% continuous overhead in terms of processor loading - this means that it is always running in the background! Hmm

Going by Derek explanation later in the thread, the only way to really how much CPU that thing is using is by running the game with and without it which is impossible unless you are developer…it's embedded in the .exe, it's not an independent process.

seems to apply 1-5% continuous overhead in terms of processor loading - this means that it is always running in the background! Hmm

Yes and no - it's baked into the executable, so it becomes a part of the game's process itself. So on the bright side, it's not one extra horrible process running on your PC. On the downside, the game is now now running at a performance penalty as a result of incorporating Denuvo.

EDIT: Han shot first.

Going by Derek explanation later in the thread, the only way to really how much CPU that thing is using is by running the game with and without it which is impossible unless you are developer…it's embedded in the .exe, it's not an independent process.

That's right. The 1-5% overhead was mentioned by CI developers in one of their twitch streams.

Was going to pre-order due to all the hype and then found out that it is not available on steam, only origin. Apparently I have avoided origin thus far until D.A.I.

oh well, for now, I guess I will be the outlier and play Heretic Kingdoms, next week.

Back
Top Bottom