Dead State - Beta Patch #1 Released

I don't understand all of this whining about graphics. This is a very small indie studio. What do you expect? As long as the game mechanics are solid, then who cares?

I care about graphics, and I don't care why they suck - they just do. That said, I've seen a ton of indie titles with decent to great visuals.

I don't expect anything, though, I just comment on what's there. If I step out on the street and I see an ugly car, it doesn't mean I expected to see a Porsche on my street.

If you don't care, that's fine - but I'm not you. It's not really rocket science, so it shouldn't be such a struggle to understand.

I don't understand all of this whining about graphics. This is a very small indie studio.
I didn't start it, but like I said the initial graphics were unbearable even to me. It is more tolerable now.

What do you expect? As long as the game mechanics are solid, then who cares?

Bad news on that front, too. I think the game is basically just not done, though. Maybe it will be better...some day.

I persoanally don't care much about graphics. These are perrectly adequate. I played the full beta a bit when it was first released on Steam not too long ago, and it felt clunky, particularly the transition between real time and turn based. I hope they get that ironed out.

After a quick check, this small patch improves the visuals by dressing the UI where it lacked. Still some places to fill.
Does not look they added loot to places that lacked it and considering the small size, it shall not complete unfinished areas.

Does not seem to add human AI to the mix. It reworks the zombie AI. Up to that patch, zombies were designed to avoid kitting by being given lots of AP, enabling them to move over ten + tiles and still have APs to grapple, bite or lash.
They changed the way, zombies now no longer move up to the party but stays in a between so that when the humans close in, they run out of APs to perform their attack.
Apparently, and consequently, fleeing from combat is still not an option. Once spotted by a zombi, it must be eliminated or you have to move around the map in TB sequence.

A few tweaks here and there to create artificially dire situations: it looks like the generator is permanently disabled so the penalty is applied every night. This (and a few other things) to avoid morale ramping up, pushing the player in a no trouble run.
This kind of trouble was intended to be a consequence to failed scavenging runs but they do not exist at the moment, so artificial penalties must be inflicted to put the shelter in crisis time.
Places to collect food are also made scarcer etc
Looks like they also favour material findings slightly to help players build upgrades. Maybe not.

The next big update is going to be needed to see where it is going, what density of zombies etc

It is nice that they are still adding new features and not just fixing bugs. This game has a lot of promise but I doubt it will be the gem that it could be if they insist on releasing the game this year.

They must add new features, they could not deliver the game in the state of the first beta release and could not deliver the final version in the current state at first glance.
Too many things are missing right now.

With three months and half left, hard to see the gameplay salvaged and they must salvage the story side.
At the moment, there are zombies and zombies with guns(weapons) That is all.
They must find a way to wrap all the story elements up and merge them with the actual play as performed by a player.
The game is story driven and they must find a way to force the player to stick to the pace of the story.
They must add the classical introduction to the neighbours to remove that zombies with guns thing etc

When knowing the map, with the level of danger being roughly equal in each location, hitting the big places first is the way to go.
They added a sort of limitation: when the party is not returned before midnight, they are considered lost and game over.
It helps to reduce the range that is possible to travel. Being able to camp would mean access to the whole map, no car required etc

That said, I've seen a ton of indie titles with decent to great visuals.

What matters is the scope, actually. Having over a hundred locations, with huge variety of buildings, over 70 weapons, dozens of armors, more than 50 npcs with custom made models... That certainly takes a toll on the art with a limited budget and team. But that's a trade-off that we decided to make. We wouldn't compromise the gameplay, by removing areas, weapons or characters because of the art design.

I certainly agree with you that there are indies with a smaller scope with decent to great visuals.

What matters is the scope, actually. Having over a hundred locations, with huge variety of buildings, over 70 weapons, dozens of armors, more than 50 npcs with custom made models… That certainly takes a toll on the art with a limited budget and team. But that's a trade-off that we decided to make. We wouldn't compromise the gameplay, by removing areas, weapons or characters because of the art design.

I certainly agree with you that there are indies with a smaller scope with decent to great visuals.

Most of us aren't graphic snobs, the visuals of Dead State works perfectly fine for me, it's above by threshold with som margin to spare...IF the gameplay is good. And from what I've played so far it is, but I only played it for an hour or two out of curiousity and then decided to wait until 1.0.

What matters is the scope, actually. Having over a hundred locations, with huge variety of buildings, over 70 weapons, dozens of armors, more than 50 npcs with custom made models… That certainly takes a toll on the art with a limited budget and team. But that's a trade-off that we decided to make. We wouldn't compromise the gameplay, by removing areas, weapons or characters because of the art design.

More than one thing can matter, and I don't agree that caring about graphics means compromising gameplay, necessarily.

My god two pages complaining about the graphics?

It looks good to me...it isn't like you are using block figures to move around...

I'm definitely seeing a lot of good things with this game.

Definitely, though in this case it was necessary to some extent. We didn't go with ASCII art, did we?

So, you're saying every game of scope in the world that goes beyond ASCII art has compromised gameplay? ;)

But it's pretty irrelevant now. You made a choice and I'm sure most of the audience is fine with it.

Based on my experience with the Watch, I'm more demanding when it comes to visual appeal than the majority.

By that same token, I think AoD looks pretty bland and uninspired.

I would have preferred 2D tiles and sprites in both Dead State and AoD - which can look very good and reduce the workload tremendously.

Even something like Underrail, which has a tiny team and budget, tends to look better to my eyes, even if we're talking primitive 2D graphics. The Eschalon games look even better.

There's something about amateur 3D art that takes me back to the 90s in the wrong way, but that's probably just me.

There's something about amateur 3D art that takes me back to the 90s in the wrong way, but that's probably just me.

Nah, it's not just you. I'm just willing to accept it if the games good in other areas, but nothing wrong in appreciating nice graphics, nor in wanting some games to look different and/or better. And although you tend to be quite vocal with your opinions, I doubt you're the only one on the Watch who thinks that way.

The graphics aren't great, but I don't think the problems stop there. For a game that's been announced for so long (I'm quite sure that two or more years have passed) and it appears to never be complete, it does lack a lot of stuff. And it doesn't seem to be getting better. Is it getting larger? Maybe, but that's not enough. For all the problems it has the only zombie game for me is still State of Decay. It shares the state with this one, fortunately it's only the word.

State of decay is a very different style of game….kind of silly to compare the two…

The graphics aren't that bad at all. I booted it up to see what you guys were talking about, they are a bit clean looking but they do a good job of presenting the areas….I haven't played a lot of the storyline(don't want to ruin it before it's done) but I have to say I'm not sure what you guys are going on about…

The graphics are almost at the level of the sims style of game....the shadows and stuff look good when you come out of the school....I'm really not sure what you are talking about to be honest.
You mean to tell me it doesn't play like a zombie grand theft auto? really?

I wasn't comparing both, just said that among the 200 hundred zombie games that are suposed to be RPGs (of course the one which isn't suposed to be an RPG is the best RPG of the whole, Telltale's The Walking Dead) State of Decay is the best. The only thing in common is the "state" word, as I stated… Dead State, on the other hand, is a never ending project which doesn't seem to improve as time goes by. Not just graphics, it's just a game that has nothing to add. Maybe it's time to bury it.

What are you talking about MigRib??? The game's getting better all the time, and I can't wait to play the hibiskus version.

What are you talking about MigRib??? The game's getting better all the time, and I can't wait to play the hibiskus version.

Is it? Maybe I'm wrong, I haven't been watching the whole process. But it does look damned slow in the improvement factor, at least. Anyway, I hope it get's better faster, the idea is good.

I really have no idea what you are talking about it just went into beta...I think you are getting confused with project zombiod maybe??

State of decay is a very different style of game….kind of silly to compare the two…

The graphics aren't that bad at all. I booted it up to see what you guys were talking about, they are a bit clean looking but they do a good job of presenting the areas….I haven't played a lot of the storyline(don't want to ruin it before it's done) but I have to say I'm not sure what you guys are going on about…

The graphics are almost at the level of the sims style of game….the shadows and stuff look good when you come out of the school….I'm really not sure what you are talking about to be honest.
You mean to tell me it doesn't play like a zombie grand theft auto? really?

To understand what other people are talking about, it's key to remember that people are different.

Another good way to get there, is to stop taking it personally when people disagree. It's much easier to understand an opinion you don't agree with, if you accept that it's there - instead of trying to make it wrong at the outset.

I'm not expecting miracles, though. The rune_74 I remember never had an easy time allowing for other opinions.

As for Dead State, sure, it looks sort of like The Sims (the first one) - and that's what's wrong.

But, thankfully, that's just my opinion.

Not sure what your GTA statement was about. I'm guessing it had to do with MigRib saying he likes State of Decay? So, that somehow means he wants all zombie games to be GTA, right?

Sounds like the Rune I remember ;)

Is it? Maybe I'm wrong, I haven't been watching the whole process. But it does look damned slow in the improvement factor, at least. Anyway, I hope it get's better faster, the idea is good.

Oh, it's been slow, no doubt about that. Like most Kickstarters actually. But not without progress.

Back
Top Bottom