Demon's Souls

It's a PS3 exclusive as far as I know.

Yep - and unlike X360 the PS3 to PC transition is very difficult, so I'd not expect to ever see it.

Some good news for Atlus to add to this thread that I picked up at Destructoid.

This is rather brilliant news. Due to a demand that exceeded initial expectations, Atlus has today announced that it will be shipping out more copies of Demon's Souls so that the multitudes struggling to find a copy can get one. Initially shipped, like most Atlus games, in limited quantities, the amazing PS3 exclusive has been a hard to find as it is to play. Fortunately, a fresh batch of games are on the way, so the rationing can stop!

In less wonderful news, the Deluxe Edition has now completely sold out and Atlus won't be publishing anymore. This means that the 160-page strategy guide is no longer available, and lucky punters who got the slipcased special edition probably have quite the rarity in their hands.

Still, this is great news that Demon's Souls has been so successful that Atlus needs to send more copies out to stores. You don't get to say that often about an Atlus-published game, and I'm thrilled that it's happened with one of the finest RPGs I've ever played. Truly an amazing game, one that deserves all the success it gets.​

I've been wanting to give it a try, but seriously, the 'no saves before bosses' design is keeping me far away. I don't mind challenging fights where I need to figure out ways to beat it, but when I have to replay even 5 minutes of random battles to get there and try again, I hate it.

I've been wanting to give it a try, but seriously, the 'no saves before bosses' design is keeping me far away. I don't mind challenging fights where I need to figure out ways to beat it, but when I have to replay even 5 minutes of random battles to get there and try again, I hate it.

You can open short-cuts permanently in the first 2 locations though (at least) on your way to the bosses, and defeating bosses provides an instant teleport from the Nexus to its location. Although not for people that don't like having to restart a level from scratch, it does compel you to kick the things ass that just handed you your own.

Last edited:
Even though I initially hesitated as it doesn't seem to be getting released in europe any time soon, if ever, I ended up ordering an import. Should get it in a week or so.

GameBanshee have another batch of reviews for this game and all very high grades.

My understanding is the game has very little in the way of story or NPC development.An action RPG just for combat is not enough in my book.

My understanding is the game has very little in the way of story or NPC development.An action RPG just for combat is not enough in my book.

Yerp, and when you go in a library there is more than one book on the shelves no?

Just spotted some Demon's Souls Halloween news on Kotaku:

Demon's Souls Gets Even Harder For Halloween.

"Early reports from the Kingdom of Boletaria indicate that the Old One's power grows," announced Aram Jabbari, Manager of PR and Sales for Atlus, shuffling awkwardly under the weight of his full set of fluted armor. "We've discovered that the nefarious Demon will seek to descend the land in pure blackness on All Hallow's Eve. His minions will be more powerful, but the rewards for those who seek to challenge them will be greater as well. We don't know how long this dark tendency will last, but we do advise those prone to controller-into-LCD syndrome to proceed carefully."

This is fantastic game. It's quite hardcore, can be also frustrating, but after a while you simply accept the fact that you will not be held by your hand and that you have to beat the game the hard way. :)

And although I two times angrily switched off PS3 after permanently losing 4000 souls, I always got back to it. I just can't stop playing this game. Highly recommended!

Good article on how the game mechanics interact with the story in Demon's Souls at Bitmob. Spotted at Gamebanshee and has major spoilers for the ending of the game.

In essence, Demon’s Souls sets up a reward system which specifically encourages the player to mold his character to reflect the plot developing behind the scenes. This became most evident to me through the hunt for colorless souls.

As I said, there are only a few ways to find these souls. The first one is easy and in plain sight, provided that you can bring the world’s tendency to either pure white or pure black. The next two are even easier than the first — all the player needs to do is trade the right items for the souls.

The bulk of these souls are held by primeval demons; one is located in each of the five worlds connected to the Nexus. In order to bring the primeval demons out of hiding, I must descend each world’s tendency into pure blackness.​

Based on the fact that it is Spike, the worst and lest relevant awards ever … I'd say Borderlands, since it is the worst of the three and least of a RPG.

I'm gonna laugh when Dragon Age wins.

Back
Top Bottom