Divinity: Original Sin - Update 1.0.53 Released

Is this new patch gonna ruin our saves? If so, I'd almost rather play as-is, indefinitely.

No it doesn't or it didn't mine.

I have about 24 hours into it now and have ran into zero bugs and can't get enough of it.

Is this new patch gonna ruin our saves? If so, I'd almost rather play as-is, indefinitely.

I don't think so, since my case is special : WinXP, 32 Bit ... You can figure out my problems by yourself ...

So far no crashes at all since beta, just the launch issues with Kickstarter Rewards. Other than that I've had one quest seemingly glitch, but hard to tell if it was a quest or just a scripted encounter. People crashing might want to update stuff? Or go 64 bit? This game seems to rely on large memory blocks.

64-bit and 16 GB of RAM and game and toolset seem to be running well. Couple of toolset crashes but game is running solid so far (7 hours into campaign). Sorry to hear some folks are having issues but the frequent patching should start to help soon.

1. Abysmally small fonts on Item descriptions and Character info details
2. Dungeon items representation feel weird.
3. Combat seems too easy even on hard.
4. Feels awkward as if there is no turn-based tactical depth, probably because lack of hexes or tiles.
5. No smooth camera-scroll
6. Crappy particle effects
7. Enemy death is weird with that exploding enemies look (I'm using mages)
8. idiotic cartoony animations of enemies
9. Representation of magical staff attack is new, but done in an ugly Larian-way
10. mediocre voice acting
1. Can't agree, sorry. IMO subtitles font in ME3 is restrdedly small. In D:OS nothing feels too small. I don't use glasses while playing games, but I have myopia and… Have no problems with fonts in D:OS.
2. Not sure what do you mean by this, but I do love weird stuff, so whatever it is, bring more please!
3. Excuse me but what part of the game are you? I'm playing on normal and have a hard time on some mobs (took a pause because Evelynn wiped my party twice).
4. True, it would be tactically more "clean" if it was hexes like in Blackguards. But then again, I love to see enemies avoiding oil I've spilled by running around it! Finally some proper AI in a game, not bloody NWN I must step on every single trap Tommy.
5. You're nitpicking. :p
6. Sorry, on my rig everything looks spectacular.
7. This one I'll completely agree. It should have been done better, but I'll blame it on (lack of) funds.
8. Well, I like it that way, sorry
9. I don't use staff for melee, so… Bah.
10. Couldn't care less for that as long as I see subtitles and as long as the music is not below average

So far no crashes at all since beta, just the launch issues with Kickstarter Rewards. Other than that I've had one quest seemingly glitch, but hard to tell if it was a quest or just a scripted encounter. People crashing might want to update stuff? Or go 64 bit? This game seems to rely on large memory blocks.
The game crashed on me. Once. Finally!
So it's not bugfree! :D
Sorry for me acting happy, after all the bugs talk, I thought I'm getting crazy not getting at least one.
Win7prof. x64, 8Gb RAM… So I'd say OS or RAM doesn't matter, you'll get a crash. Or two. Luckily you can save anywhere, not like those bloody "modern" automated saves games.

I simply don't have the money "to go 64 bit". I'd need to buy an whole new OS before that, an bigger harddisk, not to even mention a new Windows 7 specimen ... I just don't have the money to just "go 64 Bit".

Don't worry, they'll patch x32 problems.
And no need to rush on a new machine, seriously. We still don't know what will be required for TW3 and when we learn that, it'll be xmas which means prices dropped. ;)

No it doesn't or it didn't mine.

I have about 24 hours into it now and have ran into zero bugs and can't get enough of it.

It's crazy addictive, isn't it?

I don't think so, since my case is special : WinXP, 32 Bit … You can figure out my problems by yourself …

Well you may be alright for a little while longer unless you're planning on playing W3 or Star Citizen...xD

No bugs for me either. But it took me a long time how to figure out how to buy from merchants. I don't like that part - why did they have to reinvent the wheel? Also the opening town is so busy with detail, I have yet to find a merchant selling armor. And I truly suck at combat in this game (ranger and Wayfarer), probably due to a bad build.

I simply don't have the money "to go 64 bit". I'd need to buy an whole new OS before that, an bigger harddisk, not to even mention a new Windows 7 specimen … I just don't have the money to just "go 64 Bit".

Let's move this conversation to the Tech Help but what system you actually have Alrik? Maybe we can put our heads together and come up with some solution for you?

No bugs for me either. But it took me a long time how to figure out how to buy from merchants. I don't like that part - why did they have to reinvent the wheel? Also the opening town is so busy with detail, I have yet to find a merchant selling armor. And I truly suck at combat in this game (ranger and Wayfarer), probably due to a bad build.

I'm always happy to hear when people report having difficulty with the combat due to bad builds. Too many games these days let you win no matter how you build so requiring a little thinking for combat success is welcome news.

I'm always happy to hear when people report having difficulty with the combat due to bad builds. Too many games these days let you win no matter how you build so requiring a little thinking for combat success is welcome news.

I do think good builds should be better than bad, but there is a tricky minefield to traverse here. First, you need to communicate the system in such a way that making a bad build is unlikely. I don't like the idea of "needing" to read a FAQ on class progression to be decent at a game. Second, you need to have an easily communicable class progression system without overly simplifying it. Like.. if your class system is, "Warrior? Put all stats into strength!," then I think you've dropped the ball.

There is a real art here, and few games really nail it. I -swear- I'm really not trying to bring up the Souls games in every conversation, but I actually think they do a solid version of the "open-ended" progression system, especially as you can basically rebuild any weapon to be better fit for most builds. I remember liking Dragon Age Origins' simplified system for what it was. Warrior-Mages played completely differently than normal Mages and were totally viable. Arguably, they were better than Warriors. Diablo 3 was interesting, but it certainly wasn't a system you could fail.

With some more thought, I think having a variety of ways to play is more important than having some builds "fail," though it's important to balance this with maintaining a decent level of difficulty. Too often, having a "variety of ways to play the game" basically just means the game is easy.

This needs a really good Large Font GUI MOD like it was done for Armored Princess.

+ Lightning Fast Engine!!
+ Nice art on models and world textures
+ Some fonts are big at least
+ Character creation is detailed enough to be fun

- Abysmally small fonts on Item descriptions and Character info details
- Dungeon items representation feel weird.
- Combat seems too easy even on hard.
- Feels awkward as if there is no turn-based tactical depth, probably because lack of hexes or tiles.
- No smooth camera-scroll
- Crappy particle effects
- Enemy death is weird with that exploding enemies look (I'm using mages)
- idiotic cartoony animations of enemies
- Representation of magical staff attack is new, but done in an ugly Larian-way
- mediocre voice acting

In general the game does not elicit that old gut-feeling I felt in case of Fallout. No sensation arises upon seeing Divinity's "mysterious world", all the levels seem somehow jumbled up. Art Direction is weird, nothing really caught my eye except bridges and that boat?

I am not sure we are playing the same game at all.

It's crazy addictive, isn't it?

Yes, indeed it is very addictive.

Good news is I started holidays this week.

Bad news is leaving in the morning for a week in the woods of camping so no playing. Though that is not really bad news as I could bring my laptop with me. I don't think the wife and children would like that much :).

Found a real, proper bug! In the cave where a wiz sets you a trap (Billeh Mahr) you can't pick a painting of a landscape from the wall. It says "can't reach" although it's right in front of you. In the adjacent "room" unpickable another painting (of a woman) is not a bug!. For that one, if you use ALT then hover on the title, it says "worth pretty penny", but the value is: 1 coin! Means, explore that room a bit. :D

Last edited:
Yes, indeed it is very addictive.

Good news is I started holidays this week.

Bad news is leaving in the morning for a week in the woods of camping so no playing. Though that is not really bad news as I could bring my laptop with me. I don't think the wife and children would like that much :).

Oh, I'm sure they won't need you *every second* of that time, right? Maybe you could sneak a few minutes here or there? Haha ;)

Oh, I'm sure they won't need you *every second* of that time, right? Maybe you could sneak a few minutes here or there? Haha ;)

That's my biggest problem with the game. Playing a couple of minutes is not doable,
I 've had an unreasonable low amount of sleep these last couple of days. Damn game. I'm pretty damn sure this is my GOTY, unless PoE is actually released this year and turns out to be even better. But all things considered I think this is the most entertaining game released in the last 10 years...

The barter system is actually the same as in the previous Divinity games. I like it in so far as it is a sort of a more real situation than people who have endless money to get your stuff out of your backpack. In my opinion it helps with sensible looting, this is also the reason why there is also a lot of "trash loot" in Larian games. I do agree that mindlessly picking and selling stuff has its merrits too :p

There was a barter button in the dialogue box that I was missing. Purchasing stuff is typically not initiated in conversation.

As far as looting, it seems that is the way of the world in this game to get some funds. I am also doing the reload thing for locked chests.

Back
Top Bottom