Does Extremist Media Inspire Violence or Curb It?

Come to think of it... I've been in the scant minority in this forum from day 1. Y'all have deeply offended me, and I refuse to take this debasement any further. I expect reparations, but I'll accept public apologies and the right to blow off any future argument by pointing out that you can't possibly understand the plight of oppressed Republicans the world over, as well as the right to seriously insult members of the lefty majority with impunity. Well crap the bed, I could get used to the protected group stuff now that I've found a protected group to be in.

Why did you think I've been going out of my way to be polite to you lately?

In any case, please accept my sincere apologies for any rudeness or hurt feelings I may have caused you. I also don't have any objections to being insulted, except to the extent that it makes conversation more tedious.

Perhaps a "definition" or three would help. A hypocrite is one that sets rules but doesn't follow them. A hypocrite will approve a behavior set from one while decrying the exact same behavior set from another. A hypocrite sets restrictions on the delivery of a service to the point that it cannot be supplied, and then complains that they aren't getting the service.

So, in this thread, you fall under the second definition. When we talked about the police and knife-wielding old ladies, you fell under definition three. I can't recall you ever falling under definition one, which is good since that's the truly disgraceful one of the bunch.

By that definition, then, I am proud to be a hypocrite (although, needless to say, I disagree with your assessment of me under definition 3). Thanks for the clarification.

Last edited:
dte, if you weren't all foamy and up in arms and the self-appointed nay-sayer of all things soft, warm and puppy-like, I'd think the sky had fallen. Please also accept any apologies from me you feel are necessary for picking on you and your ilk relentlessly. Not that I intend to stop. But I am sorry if it penetrates in a bad way.

I love it when repubs play the victim card and seek empathy and fairness from the misguided left for our abuse of you. [insert any necessary smilie which indicates I am jesting, mostly] Sometimes we even fall for it due to our overflow of indiscriminate, weak-kneed compassion.

You just need to move down here where you will NOT be in the minority ever again to lose all the persecution, you know. The sound of FOX booms through the night in my quiet suburban compound. :)

By the way, you're awfully quick to yell "Hypocrite!" lately.
We've been talking about race issues a lot recently, and hypocrisy abounds in that topic.
IMO you're mistaken to do that. Just because somebody's moral standards are not the same as yours does not mean that he's a hypocrite. Osama bin Laden thinks that enemies of Islam should be killed. That makes him dangerous and misguided, but it doesn't make him a hypocrite. His morals are entirely consistent -- he's equally eager to kill Americans, Israelis, Spaniards, and "apostates" and "hypocrites."
I don't think I've ever called Osama a hypocrite. Plenty of other unkind words, but (as you say) he's very consistent in his approach, which means he's not a hypocrite.
But different does not mean hypocritical -- as I understand it, hypocritical is when you apply a looser standard to yourself than to others; when your ethics are internally inconsistent. I do my level best not to do that, and I would appreciate it if you gave me the benefit of the doubt.
I'm using a slightly broader definition (actually, yours is probably more "dictionary accurate") that will include situations in which you do not have a personal stake. You've said in no uncertain terms that you do not support racism, which is differentiation of treatment based on race. You've also said in no uncertain terms that you DO support subjective criteria based on racial characteristics, specifically you allow minorities more latitude of behavior since they're on the wrong side of the power equation. That's inconsistent, and there's simply no way around it. I understand why you do it, and even understand your justifications for it, but that doesn't eliminate the fundamental flaw in any way. You've said it's OK for a black man to racially insult me ("cracker") but not OK for me to racially insult him ("nigger"). If you're endorsing different rules based on race, you've got no basis to complain about the Jim Crow laws, which are different rules based on race. There is absolutely no way around the fact that, while you decry racism in one breath, you're endorsing it in the next. That's internally inconsistent and hypocritical.

edit- Don't get me wrong here. I think your justification within your framework is solid as a rock. You've got a positively solid building, but ultimately it's sitting atop a huge crevice.

You've said in no uncertain terms that you do not support racism, which is differentiation of treatment based on race. You've also said in no uncertain terms that you DO support subjective criteria based on racial characteristics, specifically you allow minorities more latitude of behavior since they're on the wrong side of the power equation.

Close, but no cigar. Key word: subjective. I don't support subjective criteria. I support objective criteria. Specifically, I believe that power relations should be considered in all ethical and moral thinking. Power relations aren't subjective.

That's inconsistent, and there's simply no way around it.

It would be, if you believed that that would be the beginning and the end of my position. It's not: I believe in multi-factor analysis. I believe that things are complex messes of causes and effects. I believe that we should do our level best to include as many of these causes and effects into our deliberations as we can. And I believe that power relations are among the most fundamental of these causes and effects.

I understand why you do it, and even understand your justifications for it, but that doesn't eliminate the fundamental flaw in any way. You've said it's OK for a black man to racially insult me ("cracker") but not OK for me to racially insult him ("nigger").

Again, close, but no cigar. Didn't you read my post above? I consider both not OK. I just consider it more not OK for you to insult him than him to insult you. For you, -10. For him, -2. Remember?

(See, this is what I mean when I accuse you of binary thinking: "OK or not OK." I hardly ever think like that at all -- I think in terms of scalars, ordinals, or vectors: "more or less acceptable.")

If you're endorsing different rules based on race, you've got no basis to complain about the Jim Crow laws, which are different rules based on race. There is absolutely no way around the fact that, while you decry racism in one breath, you're endorsing it in the next. That's internally inconsistent and hypocritical.

On the contrary, it's entirely consistent. I object to Jim Crow laws for the same reason that I object less to reverse racism than to dominant-group racism: because of power relations. Jim Crow laws are about enforcing the power of the dominant group -- just like white racism. That's why I consider them more pernicious than, say, affirmative action laws -- even though I'm not a big fan of them either.

Yes, that is one of the fundamental things to understand in this discussion. Some folks can only appreiacte things in black and white, while others appreciate shades of grey.

The thing is that the natural world, including people, are not composed of binary bits. It's an analog universe.

Not every situation has shades of grey.

Not every situation has shades of grey.

The amount of situations with shades of grey increases as your understanding of reality increases :)

My own personal theory is that once we reach total understanding of the universe - we will automatically nullify that understanding with the paradox of it being impossible to understand and it'll implode and the big bang will start all over again ;)

And? I stand by my statement. Not every situation has shades of grey.

And? I stand by my statement. Not every situation has shades of grey.

Why wouldn't you?

You're young enough to have strong illusions - and I'd advise you to embrace the black and white mindset while you can.

Why wouldn't you?

You're young enough to have strong illusions - and I'd advise you to embrace the black and white mindset while you can.

If you want to be condescending and completely take my statement out of context, feel free, but I have better things to do than play ball with you.

Yes, that is one of the fundamental things to understand in this discussion. Some folks can only appreiacte things in black and white, while others appreciate shades of grey.

The thing is that the natural world, including people, are not composed of binary bits. It's an analog universe.
Y'all are giving me a little bit too little credit here. I'm fully capable of considering shades of meaning and situational parameter sets, but all that stuff goes under the hood and ultimately you have to say, "Yes, this is acceptable" or "No, this is not acceptable". You can go thru a million gyrations to get to that decision if you want, but at the end of the day, you have to spit out a one or a zero. Within reason, I'll even let you hedge your bets by restricting the parameter sets where your zero/one is applicable, although I'm going to be sorely disappointed if a supposedly objective person relies on a "every situation is different" crutch to cover for inconsistent logic.

Same goes for PJ's spectrum cop-out. I understand "*more* or *less* acceptable" but there must be a tipping point, even if it's a nice lefty fuzzy subjective point-o-the-moment. By scoring something a "-2", that implies unacceptable to me. Now maybe, in subjective lefty math, the origin (which I'm calling the tipping point), is at -5, but there's still an origin hiding in the fluff somewhere that defines the boundary between acceptable and unacceptable.

If you apply a different tipping point between acceptable and unacceptable based on race (even with good intentions), that's inconsistent with clamoring for equality and/or blind justice.

I know, Dartagnan, I was hoping the irony of what I was saying would go through - I guess it didn't. This is one of the reasons why I hate the internet versus face to face conversation. I mentally had this image in my head when I said that:

pouting%20kid.jpg

But I do think my statement has some truth to it, to be serious for a second. More understanding does let you grasp grey areas better, but I honestly believe that even if someone had perfect understanding there would still be situations that did not have gray areas, etc etc. Of course, being as how I do not have perfect understanding, I could quite readily be wrong.

Assuming a binary yes/no response is not always appropriate. Usually a measured response is what happens in the universe, except for a few quirky areas like quantum physics.

Same goes for PJ's spectrum cop-out. I understand "*more* or *less* acceptable" but there must be a tipping point, even if it's a nice lefty fuzzy subjective point-o-the-moment. By scoring something a "-2", that implies unacceptable to me. Now maybe, in subjective lefty math, the origin (which I'm calling the tipping point), is at -5, but there's still an origin hiding in the fluff somewhere that defines the boundary between acceptable and unacceptable.

If you apply a different tipping point between acceptable and unacceptable based on race (even with good intentions), that's inconsistent with clamoring for equality and/or blind justice.

Nope, there isn't a tipping point. Instead, there's a scale of response, just like there's a scale of action. So, for example, IMO it might be justified to take someone to court for a -10 type action, while a -2 would only merit an admonishment and some social pressure -- while a -100 could merit an immediate physical response, and a -1,000,000 should be stopped with any means possible that do not include actions of more than, say, -1000.

Second, let's consider "equality." I believe in the ideal of equality of opportunity. I consider it a necessary condition of liberty. Liberty means having the maximum number of meaningful and attractive life choices. Therefore, a society that maximizes the number of such choices for a greater number of its citizens than another society, is freer. IOW, I want to work for equality of opportunity, without falling into the trap of trying to achieve it by *downgrading* rather than upgrading.

Since society does not have equality of opportunity, working for this goal necessarily means that it has to treat those of its citizens with fewer opportunities differently than those with more opportunities. In other words, formal equality before the law must be subordinate to the ideal of equality of opportunity. I believe we should compromise the former as little as we can, but we should not shirk from compromising it if we must.

Therefore, I support things like progressive taxation, social services that benefit the poor more than the rich, heavy inheritance taxes, structures that remove or mitigate the influence of money in court, and so on. E.g., it is wrong if someone can get himself acquitted of a crime just because he can afford an expensive lawyer (see Simpson, OJ).

Finally, justice. In my opinion, people generally speaking are disgusting little shits who abuse the hell out of any power they may get their grubby hands on. Therefore, one of the main functions of society is to prevent the concentration of too much power in too few hands, create structures that curb such abuses of power, and enable the powerless to defend themselves against the powerful. It is just as wrong to ignore power relations in laws as it is to ignore motive, insanity, or mitigating circumstances. Needless to say, this should be addressed at the level of laws, not courts. Laws should be stacked in favor of the powerless, because that's where the only power they have lies -- the powerful have many other means to defend their interests. Justice should be blind to power at the court level, but laws must not.

See, dte -- the reason you're not understanding me is that our basic definitions are different: my liberty isn't your liberty; my justice isn't your justice; my equality isn't your equality. My positions are completely idiotic if you plug in your definitions. With mine, they're not. I hope they didn't make you blow an aneurysm; I know you too well to think that you'd react to them with anything other than incoherent fury... or, perhaps, laughter in disbelief.

And again, I tell you that a binary response might be a "summary" of a million subjective "sub-decisions". At the end of the day, nobody gives two shits about all the intricate calculations--they want to know your answer. Your "measured response" is a binary response with restricted parameter sets. "In *this* situation, my answer is..." The more restrictions you place on your binary response, the more valueless your answer becomes because your answer has less and less applicability.

And again, I tell you that a binary response might be a "summary" of a million subjective "sub-decisions". At the end of the day, nobody gives two shits about all the intricate calculations--they want to know your answer. Your "measured response" is a binary response with restricted parameter sets. "In *this* situation, my answer is..." The more restrictions you place on your binary response, the more valueless your answer becomes because your answer has less and less applicability.

You had my answer -- I would consider some finger-wagging an appropriate response to the black guy calling you a cracker, while I wouldn't consider it excessive to take you to court for calling him a nigger. That's not binary; it's a scalar. I mean sure, if you impose a binary scale on me -- "acceptable or not?" -- both would fall under "not acceptable." However, that would distort my position, since it would imply that the same response is justified for both, which is not what I believe.

I know, Dartagnan, I was hoping the irony of what I was saying would go through - I guess it didn't. This is one of the reasons why I hate the internet versus face to face conversation. I mentally had this image in my head when I said that:

pouting%20kid.jpg

That looks like me when I'm commenting on the modern gaming industry ;)

But I do think my statement has some truth to it, to be serious for a second. More understanding does let you grasp grey areas better, but I honestly believe that even if someone had perfect understanding there would still be situations that did not have gray areas, etc etc. Of course, being as how I do not have perfect understanding, I could quite readily be wrong.

Yeah, you got a good point.

But unfortunately, my experience - personally - has been that there being grey areas is the rule rather than the exception. I say unfortunately, because it means I've had to leave the comfort zone I had when I was younger, when everything seemed so much simpler.

I think I was around 18 years old when I started to realise that things weren't really as clear-cut as I'd made them out to be, and I think I spent a good number of years in shock and denial about that. It was a horribly frightening experience, to be honest.

Today, I just accept that's how it is - and I've gotten almost comfortable knowing that I don't know shit - and I can't really know shit. That everything I believe can potentially be false and change at a moments notice. It's not exactly a pleasant state of mind, but it's gotten a lot easier through the years :)

I'm not saying it's a surprise to you, and if you already realise that without having difficulty - I commend and envy you :)

But still, you've got a point. Some things are clear enough that we don't need to consider any grey areas. Not as many as I'd like, but some.

Nope, there isn't a tipping point. Instead, there's a scale of response, just like there's a scale of action. So, for example, IMO it might be justified to take someone to court for a -10 type action, while a -2 would only merit an admonishment and some social pressure -- while a -100 could merit an immediate physical response, and a -1,000,000 should be stopped with any means possible that do not include actions of more than, say, -1000.
You just defined tipping points for various situations. Right there. I see 'em. Now, I would prefer you avoid restricted parameters (the tipping point for court action is -10; the tipping point for a finger wag is -2; the tipping point for an ass-kicking is -100) because those tipping points are only valid as far as the end of your nose. For Thrasher, those points might be -12, -4, and -50 respectively, and that's simply no way to run a railroad.

Ultimately, it's a proactive/reactive problem. I set up DTE's Grand Tome of Binary Law up front and everybody can operate as they please within that framework. Maybe add an Appendix A on rare occasion to account for time marching on. You have to add another page to PJ's Evergrowing Book of Subjective Situationals every single @%@%$& time some rube somewhere does something unexpected. I take a rigidity penalty (meaning I have a hard time making those "feel good" exceptions you seem to love) but I blow your doors off with efficiency and consistency.

Back
Top Bottom