Dragon Age Book Review - Off Topic Discussion

My main problem is the fact that food that is easy and not time consuming to make is really horrible for you. I haven't been able to train myself to think "In an hour I will be hungry" and start making something better for me then.

Additionally, when I am working I find it a pain in the ass to really make anything time consuming, and for lunch it's impossible - and usually my options are some sort of really bad cafeteria food or really bad fast food.

Cooking one portion at a time gets old very quickly. Provided you have a microwave oven at your workplace (I know Swedish workplaces and university campuses are unusally well equipped when it comes to this) you can make extra portions and bring one to work to heat up. Or you could just eat the same stuff for dinner two days in a row... Some dishes can be deep-frozen together with the rice/pasta/whatever, allowing you to have a stock of easily available dinners in the freezers. Fresh vegetables to eat on the side doesnt take many minutes of preparation. And keep control over your intake of basic foodstuffs such as pasta (70-100g per portion) or rice (about 1dl per portion) as eating too much of that adds to the calory count as well...

You can also cut a lot of empty calories (and maybe save some money) by drinking tap water with your meals, but that requires the tap water to be tasty in the first place. I wouldnt be able to drink water treated with chlorine:p

Well you can look at the report where I took the John Lorber case from and it's a little more eye opening. The brain is an incredibly complex thing and I'm not going to say I'm an expert but I suspect the human/living condition as a whole is the reason for degradation and hydrocephalus (1 in 500 according to Wiki) is quite common and not a singular case.

I'm sorry, Woges, but I still have some trouble understand which positions you're arguing. Is it one of these, or both?

(1) Physical degradation of the brain has no causal or statistical connection to reduced cognitive ability.

(2) Being overweight or obese has no causal or statistical connection to faster physical degradation of the brain.

I also think it's a bit problematic to attempt to draw connections between conditions as different as hydrocephalus and degradation of the brain due to aging.

What's more, many (if not most) hydrocephalics do have impaired cognitive ability. According to Wikipedia anyway, and as we know, Wikipedia is always right. (Maybe lghartveit could step in to cast some light on the subject again?)

When you're talking about intelligence the whole subject is problematic because of the brain's complexity. It would seem to me from those cases that the brain is designed with a large amount of redundancy in mind so that it is able to 'deal' with whatever most individuals throw at it, and that that 'report' has been noticed because it reinforces what people want to hear about people being 'inferior' to them (in this and whatever subject). I'm not arguing modus ponens for any particular premise just that this science is weak and doesn't 'paint the whole picture'. IOW I'm unsure if this justifies ethically a right to peer down and judge people for not adhering to the ideal of thinness and that such a stance is rather petty even if you took the science as fact.

You can just float around the web and find interesting facts like:

[GHPP] S.M.Garn, V.M.Hawthorne, J.J.Pilkington and S.D.Pesick
"Fatness and mortality in the West of Scotland"
American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, August 1983 vol.38, no.2, pp. 313--319
The researchers studied mortality data over 16 years, for men aged
45 to 75, from the West of Scotland. The lean had a higher mortality
rate than the obese. Obese men tended to show more deaths due to
heart problems, and lean men tended to show more deaths due to
cancer. The adverse effects of smoking were also clearly seen here.​

Perhaps it's better to stop worrying and enjoy your life; maybe read The Stolen Throne to keep that mind bouncing and healthy.

I'm unsure if this justifies ethically a right to peer down and judge people for not adhering to the ideal of thinness and that such a stance is rather petty even if you took the science as fact.

Okay, Woges, I get the picture. I hope to have a more constructive conversation with you about some other subject, some other time.

Well, you did ask.

woges - do you dispute that being obese (actually medically obese not just slightly overweight according to some arbitrary calc based on a generic height/age formula) actually causes serious health issues that the exact people maintaining a more 'normal' weight would not face?

Or you could just eat the same stuff for dinner two days in a row...

I used to saute a batch of chicken, stock and chopped onion with a little olive oil - split that into three or so portions and then use as a base for pastas, stirfrys and so on just by reheating in the pan with vegetables and sauces - cutting the cooking time in half for the following meals.

woges - do you dispute that being obese (actually medically obese not just slightly overweight according to some arbitrary calc based on a generic height/age formula) actually causes serious health issues that the exact people maintaining a more 'normal' weight would not face?

No and that was never the point it's about ethics and not weight. Most people have some kind of vice that effects their health in some manner (like you'll possibly die faster if you eat too much, smoke or drink for instance). That report wasn't only about obese people either so that was never the whole picture of the debate (somebody brought that one up without reading it I suspect). It's whether or not authoritative sources reinforce a mentally that allow people to dehumanise a certain type of person (here fat people) and make it unobjectionable to discriminate against said people because they are one (of many) that aren't making the ideal.

Can't resist replying, despite my decision to call this off...

Woges... who exactly are you arguing against? That is, who (here present) do you think wants to dehumanize, discriminate, or otherwise look down upon fat people?

If -- as I suspect -- you think it's me, I would like to know what, if anything, I can do to convince you that *this is not the case.* I've explicitly denied this accusation on multiple occasions and I've apologized for a careless turn of phrase that could legitimately have given that impression. What else, exactly, do you want from me?

I'm fat. This is a bad thing. It started when I was a kid because no one paid attention to what kids ate in the 80s and early 90s. It continued on from there. Pushing for more awareness and making it *easier* for people to eat better things and to address this gigantic health problem is important. It's not dehumanizing people to say that obese people are more likely to die or get diabetes or a myriad of other health problems. Once again, it should be pretty clear that PJ wasn't poking some fat kid with a stick and making fun of him. I didn't see anything offensive with what he said. It's not like anyone's saying all the fat kids should be put into camps or anything.

Woges... who exactly are you arguing against? That is, who (here present) do you think wants to dehumanize, discriminate, or otherwise look down upon fat people?

I have to be totally honest, fat people disgust me. I think all obese people should be forced to lose weight, at least until they're close to being a normal weight. In fact, there should be penalties by law against those who don't lose the weight in a timely manner, and those who can't lose it should have to go to a fat camp until they do.

This post was 100% sarcasm :)

No it's not but it reinforces a negative rather than tolerant philosophy, and stop beating the obese tree that was not the only definition of people studied in the published article.

It doesn't say that fat kids should be sent to the gulags no but as a negative I very much doubt that it helps them from bullying and the like at school. I have to say that I'm not perfect either and do laugh at others expense but I do know there's a line and when I've crossed it. I kinda like this:

Give up, just quit, because in this life, you can't win. Yeah, you can try, but in the end you're just gonna lose, big time, because the world is run by the Man. The Man, oh, you don't know the Man. He's everywhere. In the White House... down the hall... Ms. Mullins, she's the Man. And the Man ruined the ozone, he's burning down the Amazon, and he kidnapped Shamu and put her in a chlorine tank! And there used to be a way to stick it to the Man. It was called rock 'n roll, but guess what, oh no, the Man ruined that, too, with a little thing called MTV! So don't waste your time trying to make anything cool or pure or awesome 'cause the Man is just gonna call you a fat washed up loser and crush your soul. So do yourselves a favor and just GIVE UP!​

Or perhaps:

Tomika: [explaining why she is nervous] They'll laugh at me.
Dewey Finn: What? Why would they laugh at you?
Tomika: I dunno... because I'm fat.
Dewey Finn: Tomika... Ok, you've heard of Aretha Franklin right? She's a big lady. But when she sings, she blows people's minds! Everyone wants to party with Aretha! And, you know who else has a weight problem?
Tomika: Who?
Dewey Finn: Me. But when I get up there and start doing my thing, people worship me! Because I'm sexy, and chubby, man.
Tomika: Why don't you go on a diet?
Dewey Finn: Because I like to eat! Is that such a crime?​

As for you PJ you said you get the point and I respect you enough to understand that you do, regardless if we agree or not or if anyone else does it doesn't matter to me. What matters is that a view point is expressed or countered which everyone is entitled to do. I don't want anything from you I was just answering txa's question.

This post was 100% sarcasm :)

Lies.

Anyway let me get back to work ffs.

To clarify, I meant that I got that you aren't able to discuss this question without going aggro on me.

I also get that you're upset about fat people being bullied and discriminated against, and I agree that that's a problem that we should be addressing too.

However, any other points you may be making remain pretty murky to me. In particular, I'm trying to figure out what, exactly, we're not agreeing about. I've been trying to get you to elucidate them, but without much success so far.

Do you, for example, believe that we should ignore obesity as a public health problem, because discussing it or attempting to address it might cause some people to bully or discriminate against fat people? Cuz that, clearly, I would disagree with.

Man, you have a chip on your shoulder the size of the USS Constitution.

It was comical PJ, as you've resorted to personal off-topic jibes let's just leave this one here shall we? It's a long road that this one leads down anyway.

Last edited:
It was comical PJ, as you've resorted to personal off-topic jibes let's just leave this one here shall we? It's a long road that this one leads down anyway.

I apologize; I thought you were being serious. Thank you for clearing that up.

I am of the opinion has no business getting involved in self-directed behavior that has no public threat. Obesity is one such thing ... smoking is not, however, since it is pretty obviously pumping poisons into the air that are unavoidably absorbed by others ...

Good grief, here federal laws outlaw smoking in indoor places and most public areas. The near vicinity to food is a total case of being banned.

Back
Top Bottom