DA:I Dragon Age: Inquisition - First Thoughts

Dragon Age: Inquisition
I thought I would come back and say Storm Coast is much better so far - smaller and more managable, gorgeous scenery, not as much trash mobs and better spread out fighting. Enjoying it a whole lot more and the quests are good so far.

I stand by a 7 on Hinterlands. 7 is above average but not awesome and it isn't awesome to me - to grindy. However some of the quests there are fun. I think the respawns of the mage/templars got a little annoying as did the fetch quests.

Storm Coast is 8.5 for me though - lot of fun (playing it now, had to get coffee). I would give them points if my character could wear some armor like Iron Bull. Also enjoying the dialogue and side comments a lot with the followers.

Oh yeah, there's lots. In central Ohio, anyway. I don't know what we'd do without it…

There were only Dunkin Donuts in Florida and I actually thought about reporting it to the UN as a human rights atrocity. :disappointed:

You live in central Ohio? Me too.

I stand by a 7 on Hinterlands. 7 is above average but not awesome and it isn't awesome to me - to grindy. However some of the quests there are fun. I think the respawns of the mage/templars got a little annoying as did the fetch quests.
I ment the overall game score. It feels like 8 material to me, but it's still too early to be sure.

Hinterlands is a total disaster because of those endless respawns, but once they stop (after you clear bases) the area feels 10 times better than it initially is.

I ment the overall game score. It feels like 8 material to me, but it's still too early to be sure.

Hinterlands is a total disaster because of those endless respawns, but once they stop (after you clear bases) the area feels 10 times better than it initially is.

Aye fingured that out today when I finished clearing the two bases. I did some of the Storm Coast this afternoon and going back to Hinterlands tonight to head to the big castle :) Really enjoyed the Storm Coast and also met some more of the followers and like their stories.

Storm Coast is a bit smallish, but I'll agre with you, area has a better design than Hinterlands.
I'm done with it, but couldn't enter the mine, it probably opens later.

Now I have to choose…
- Oasis
- Mire
- pick mages or templars

And I dunno what to do now. No info if there is another party member in Oasis or in Mire… *sigh*
Bah, I'll do anything that's not what Kotaku suggests. Mire it is. Oasis will be after.

EDIT:
No, Oasis first. It needs power 4 to enter, Mire needs 8.

joxer, your last two party members are going to show up by following the main storyline (what you call pick mages or templars). One is based on which side you pick, the other shows once you are done with the quest.

Just did Redcliff and before I knew it the clock went to 1am and didn't get to bed till 2am. That was 8 hours of playing and barely noticed the time passing except to walk the dog and eat :p

Just amazing. I have some quibble still with some graphic glitches around head/necks but in general this game really picks up. At the moment my score has jumped to 9/10 as I am loving some of the quests now and the interaction with the companions is awesome.

Getting a much better feel for combat as well and finally managing to keep up with it. Still a challenge as sometimes I "loose" my mouse on the screen and panic but luckily there are different levels of difficulty to make up for my lack of coordination.

Also the RAIN OMG just gorgeous stuff. The wet look to everything, the water that runs down the walls, the reflections … beautiful. Just got to the mire and my jaw was hanging open. Course it looks better in game where it is moving and dynamic not static.

"Falling asleep on the job"
15675495159_c9201993a7_o.png

"Picking up new work"
15673986218_5b2b7801ac_o.png

And only 32 hours played so far. Good times :)

My main character shows my usual "me, but better" lack of imagination, but I am kind of liking this updated version of Dido Cousland, the DA:O Grey Warden I made canonical for my Inquisition save. I chose her because she's my only Dark Ritual playthrough, and I want to see that damn god-baby finally show up.

Dido gave up true love with Leliana and dabbled in dark magics in order to make herself queen of Ferelden, sincerely believing herself to be the country's best hope for peace. Here she is ten years later, a decade into the compromises of rulership.

Dido_reborn.jpg

My main character shows my usual "me, but better" lack of imagination, but I am kind of liking this updated version of Dido Cousland, the DA:O Grey Warden I made canonical for my Inquisition save. I chose her because she's my only Dark Ritual playthrough, and I want to see that damn god-baby finally show up.

Dido gave up true love with Leliana and dabbled in dark magics in order to make herself queen of Ferelden, sincerely believing herself to be the country's best hope for peace. Here she is ten years later, a decade into the compromises of rulership.

Dido_reborn.jpg

I would say she looks like someone who has dabbled in some dark magic and shows the years of rulership. I hope it has worked out for her with the peace. Nice idea to for the DAI play through.

My canon did the thing with Morrigan and curious to see how it turns out in this game. But no one tell me please I want to find out for myself if my Warden did a greater evil in saving himself or not :)

I hate bugs, for example this one:

pic.jpg

That gives? You can't collect all those books scattered all over Skyhold for a certain quest because this book is floating in the air and you can't pick it up. Damn!

But... Not really true. Loading screens respawn not just mobs, but also collectibles, remember? So all you need to do, in this case, travel elsewhere, return and collect already collected books. You can ignore this one floating in the air.

The similar thing is with Cassandra's Unfinished Business questspots. If she's not in the party while you kill those mobs, it'll stay open till you return with her on the spot. But the game will respawn them only when you travel elsewhere and return (with Cassandra).

Or if you see exclamation mark somewhere but you can't find anyone on the spot? No biggie, travel, return, the game will spawn whoever was supposed to be there.

I have to say that I like this "workarounds" Bioware implemented.
Quest is bugged? Who cares! Reset the area and it solves itself.

While I'm pleasantly surprised with this feature, this still doesn't nullify my disappointment on implementing endless mobrespawns design.

Could this game get any more epic? Fuck it is awesome. Just did a big mid-point of the game (well the second mid-point) that is a turning point. That song was so moving. Just loving the hell out of the whole cool epic feeling and cinematics and characters.

Plus some of the dialogue options I am getting ... really enjoying those. Yea this game has a really picked up. For this style of game (more story focused versus sandbox) it is very well done.

Enjoying myself a lot.

Good stuff. Thanks for the updates.

I have a few problems with this game, but this is my biggest complaint. I can't be the only one experiencing this. Even with tactics mode it's impossible to see.

I haven't found a way to select all or lasso my guys to get them away from the tree. If I do one at a time they just run back when I switch to another guy.

Even without the tree I find seeing through the smoke, fog (yes 2 separate things), fire, lightning, etc. near impossible in some battles.

If your wondering that's my guys fighting 3 enemies.

Attachments

• ScreenshotWin32_0000_Final.jpg
    ScreenshotWin32_0000_Final.jpg
    141 KB · Views: 20
  • ScreenshotWin32_0001_Final.jpg
    ScreenshotWin32_0001_Final.jpg
    141.2 KB · Views: 15
That was my thought as well. It's not just trees though heres a couple more shots. I'd narrate for you but I'm not sure what's happening.

In the one I just held down the attack button since you can't auto target and when the effects clear I was stabbing Cassandra repeatedly.

Sad thing is, once you learn the combat and put up with the camera there are some good battles to be had but this is ridiculous and happens far too often.

Attachments

• ScreenshotWin32_0006_Final.jpg
    ScreenshotWin32_0006_Final.jpg
    176.1 KB · Views: 13
  • ScreenshotWin32_0007_Final.jpg
    ScreenshotWin32_0007_Final.jpg
    157.5 KB · Views: 11
That was my thought as well. It's not just trees though heres a couple more shots. I'd narrate for you but I'm not sure what's happening.

In the one I just held down the attack button since you can't auto target and when the effects clear I was stabbing Cassandra repeatedly.

Sad thing is, once you learn the combat and put up with the camera there are some good battles to be had but this is ridiculous and happens far too often.

I notice something in your shots - your character is always full health. I am glad I am not one of your meat she... err companions. :)

Teasing aside it is annoying I agree. One thing that would help a little is if the tactical camera was actually more free. The "target" cursor seems to move like someone walking. So as you move it over the landscape the camera goes up and down. I find it often useless then as you can't see anything. A tactical camera should be completely loose with ability to zoom in/out, navigate up and down, left and right, forward and backware. The up down and the zooming are very much weak in this game.

To avoid frustration I play on easier settings for now. Less tedium in trying to move everyone. Instead I use tactical for the big fights and for all the rest I let the AI run free and just focus on my own character.

That being said I am unusual among most gamers as combat, which is usually the core to game play, tends to be less important to me in any game.

To avoid frustration I play on easier settings for now.
I just want to know how many players out there are actually playing this game on nightmare.
Just imagine wasting time on killing buffed bears and spiders over and over on that setting. If there is a game out there I don't want to come near nightmare difficulty, it's DA3.

Hmm, you guys are going to force me to buy this thing. I'll see if it gets a Black Friday special.

Yeah, wolf, given the crummy combat mechanics and tactical camera control, playing on normal or easy would be a given with me. This game just doesn't seem to have the chops to provide a satisfying AND challenging combat experience.

Back
Top Bottom