Dragon Age: Inquisition - Review Roundup # 3

If you want to dismiss sites based on high Skyrim scores, you won't be left with many :)
Hey! I was going to say that!!!

pibbur who claims he thought of this before the musketeer. And who thinks that maybe he will wait before buying this before having played DA:O. And a lot of other games he hasn't played, which he won't specify for credibility reasons.

PS. There are of course a ton of non-gaming sites that didn't review Skyrim at all. DS.

Hm, that does not sound very promising. I was hopingthe AI would behave sensibly and that tactical view was very usable etc. I also preferred to roam in that high zoomed out mode when I was playing DA:O. Guess I'll be able to report my own feelings soon enough! I really should have waited and not rpre-ordered....

Regarding the 4players review, if you actually read it and compare it to other reviews that are fairly critical but give the game fairly good grades (Eurogamer, Gamestar, Cheat Code Central, God is a Geek, PC World etc.) many of the arguments are already familiar.
It’s a very extensive and reasonably analytical piece; the content of his review is actually more interesting than the final grade he gave DA:I.. The latter is perhaps a bit too harsh, but then again, a lot of the other more critical reviews almost seem to have ‘upgraded’ a 7/10-ish verdict to 8/10.

On Metacritic, the usual battle between fanboys (’10! And Skyrim suxxxxx!) and trolls (‘0, DA:O is best evar and EA is teh Devil!’) is in full swing, so that’s not going to give much of a representative average for a long time. Perhaps if one looks at the better-reasoned 6-8 types of user reviews…

One thing is clear though: Avoid the Xbox 360 and PS3 versions (just check the relevant threads on BSN, or try to look at the increasing number of gameplay vids).

Can't play it before friday and 3days of betatesting by NA players… :D

Dunno about console versions but so far there are many reports from NA players on PC about inability ro start the game, crashes with several different dx errors, crashing directly to desktop for no apparent reason without an error, so called "black screen of death", etc.
Oh and… The game refuses to run if you didn't update your gfx card driver to a certain version… The problem is older cards, still minimum specs or above, can't use that driver. Unbelievable.

Whoever said this game was influenced by Skyrim, seems completely right. :evilgrin:

trolls (‘0, DA:O is best evar and EA is teh Devil!’
That's not troll, that's the truth! :D

Hm, that does not sound very promising. I was hopingthe AI would behave sensibly and that tactical view was very usable etc. I also preferred to roam in that high zoomed out mode when I was playing DA:O. Guess I'll be able to report my own feelings soon enough! I really should have waited and not rpre-ordered….

I played the prologue last night, 4 times (one with each class and then main char).

Tactical view is very usable to give commands. It gives a lot of information, but you need to remap the default keybinding because it sucks. You can also walk around in it outside of combat (using point&click and while unpaused), but I didn't like it in DA:O and even less here. The world is meant to be explored in 3rd person and going off the beaten path to find stuff.

AI isn't that bad, seems better than in the previous games when using default script. Solas land his barrier on most of the party and Cassandra seems more competent than me (at shield warrior) so I rarely control her.

And for what it is worth, I had no technical issues in my 4 hours of gameplay last night.

Oh and the prologue is supposed to feel rushed storywise. That's Cassandra for you. :smitten:

Tactical view is very usable to give commands. It gives a lot of information, but you need to remap the default keybinding because it sucks. You can also walk around in it outside of combat (using point&click and while unpaused), but I didn't like it in DA:O and even less here. The world is meant to be explored in 3rd person and going off the beaten path to find stuff.
I read it is not possible to click and move. Did you use a controller or K&M? It is supposed to be bad with K&M.

I read it is not possible to click and move. Did you use a controller or K&M? It is supposed to be bad with K&M.

K&M, I don't own a controller. Click&move is how you move characters in the Tactical mode: when in Tactical mode you are controlling a "cursor", if you right click the character currently selected will move to that point. You can move the cursor while unpaused. I wouldn't call it a practical system for normal travelling personally, but I didn't play with it more than for combat either.

You can also pan the camera in tactical mode too, it's not just overhead look.

If you want to dismiss sites based on high Skyrim scores, you won't be left with many :)

Yes I know, there are so few really good review sites these days :( Most of them are bought and if they aren't they're usually small.

But anyway, it is better to read feedback from fellow watchers and such, to know the games, it was a long time ago I visited a lot of review sites. Their creditability is almost zero most of the time.

Yes I know, there are so few really good review sites these days :( Most of them are bought and if they aren't they're usually small.

But anyway, it is better to read feedback from fellow watchers and such, to know the games, it was a long time ago I visited a lot of review sites. Their creditability is almost zero most of the time.

I know what you mean. I can't find many sites that agree with me all the time, either :)

K&M, I don't own a controller. Click&move is how you move characters in the Tactical mode: when in Tactical mode you are controlling a "cursor", if you right click the character currently selected will move to that point. You can move the cursor while unpaused. I wouldn't call it a practical system for normal travelling personally, but I didn't play with it more than for combat either.

You can also pan the camera in tactical mode too, it's not just overhead look.
So in other words, it is a bad idea to use tactical mode to move outside of combat.

So in other words, it is a bad idea to use tactical mode to move outside of combat.

I can't see why anyone would want to do that anyways. Most people are going to find exploring the world a lot more immersive in 3rd person.

Not to mention it just makes more sense to use WASD for a game with large open areas - as opposed to constantly needing to click on the terrain to move your characters.

I personally think it was a bad idea in DAO too, so I'm probably not the person to ask.

I know what you mean. I can't find many sites that agree with me all the time, either :)

Well, it is one thing to agree or not agree, another if they give a game a good score based on that they want that companies advertisement money.

Back when I still read reviews it was not like that.... at least not as bad, for example I usually respected gamespots reviews, before the guys who reviewed games honestly was fired for doing so.

Back
Top Bottom