Dragonlance: Dragons of Autumn Twilight 01/10/08

Bennan

Traveler
Starring Kiefer Sutherland, Lucy Lawless & Michael Rosenbaum.

On DVD 01/15/08

Six friends--dwarf, half-elf, warrior, mage, knight and kender--separated to seek some sign of the ancient, true gods of the world of Krynn. Five years later, they reunite amid rumors of war and growing evil. It's not until they meet a beautiful tribal princess and her barbarian protector that they find the sign that they've been seeking. Now they face monsters and horrors beyond their imaginations--horrors that will either destroy them or forge them into the greatest heroes that the world of Krynn has ever known.

Check out these clips from the movie.
Clip 1
Clip 2

Finally they are making a D&D movie from a well known series. The animation looks ok, not the best but if it is anything close to the books I won't care because they are just that good.

They should of done this with the first real live movie instead of that piece of garbage script they came up with or they could of chose Drizzt or any of they other great novels based in the D&D universe. Anyways I'm just glad it'll be out soon.

What's a Kender ?

Some sort of skinny semi-halfling that can be used as a comical sidekick (probably as a thief).

I see.

Never heard of this one before.

But I know very little of Dragonlance either.

As a sidenote, after all these years I still can't understand why someone calls himself Jaw Sutherland ("Kiefer" means "Jaw" in German).
I believe he didn't know that.

They are probably unique to dragonlance.

I dont know that much of them either, but they are a playable race in the Krynn Goldbox games, and there is a somewhat annoying Kender NPC called Tasselhoff Burfoot that pops up every now and then (if this is the story I think it is). And IIRC they have two nations of their own in the War of the Lance strategy game.

Kiefer is nothing. Jerk and Jerker are Swedish names poorly suited for international consumption...

Tasslehoff Burfoot is great:) Gotta love that annoying little guy. He doesn't just pop up every now and then. He was in a lot of books and technically lasted the longest out of all of the original Heroes of the Lance, if you haven't read the books I won't spoil it by telling you why he "technically" lasted the longest. Tasslehoff and Goldmoon I think we're the last of the heroes in the latest round of Dragonlance novels.

The original heroes of the lance which this movie is based on is Sturm, Tanis, Tasslehoff, Goldmoon, Riverwind, Flint, Caramon and of course Raistlin. The trilogy was a surberb read.

I've only gotten my Dragonlance lore from the game and a brief timeline that I found online a few years ago, but I expected Raistlin to last the longest;)

This movie could well be worth renting when it shows up here:)

I liked the goldbox dragonlance games and about a year ago replayed the first one. A bit heavy on the battles imo. Normally that doesn't bother me too much but taking a few steps in a dungeon and then getting attacked was a bit annoying.

If the games interested you at all you should read Dragon of Autumn Twilight, Dragons of Winter Night and Dragon of Spring Dawning. It tells the story of the return of the gods to Krynn.

I would of put my money on Raistlin too.:biggrin:

Champions of Krynn was among the first RPGs I played, so I have a very strong emotional attachment to that trilogy (though I found Death Knights of Krynn a bit too silly):)

If you've never read the Chronicles trilogy, I HIGHLY recommend it. IMO, it is the best trilogy written since LOTR.

I hope they do it justice. My brother pre-ordered me this DVD, so I'll see soon!

I too wish that they had made it into a live action film. If done right, it could have been great, although if it was released too close to LOTR, people probably would have seen it as a rip-off.

It's indeed,one of the finest trilogies.Highly recomended....
Kenders are a little taller than halflings and exist only on dragonlance.
Their racial abilities are their totally immunity to fear.....totally!!!! and their ability to steal from you without you noticing OR them.Stealing for them is like blinking the eyes.
And really,really irritating

Tasslehoff Burfoot is great:) Gotta love that annoying little guy. He doesn't just pop up every now and then. He was in a lot of books and technically lasted the longest out of all of the original Heroes of the Lance, if you haven't read the books I won't spoil it by telling you why he "technically" lasted the longest. Tasslehoff and Goldmoon I think we're the last of the heroes in the latest round of Dragonlance novels.

The original heroes of the lance which this movie is based on is Sturm, Tanis, Tasslehoff, Goldmoon, Riverwind, Flint, Caramon and of course Raistlin. The trilogy was a surberb read.

"I was just borrowing it!!!"
Legends was also good. It was *very* interesting to see what Raistlin did with his power, though not surprising.

Goodness, it's been a *long* time since I've thought about these books. We had a book with recipies from the Inn of the Last Home (or whatever the name was) that we used to cook from at my cousins house. Sturm Brightblade was the man, Knights of the Rose, FTW :)

"I was just borrowing it!!!"
Legends was also good. It was *very* interesting to see what Raistlin did with his power, though not surprising.

Goodness, it's been a *long* time since I've thought about these books. We had a book with recipies from the Inn of the Last Home (or whatever the name was) that we used to cook from at my cousins house. Sturm Brightblade was the man, Knights of the Rose, FTW :)

OMG, I forgot all about the book with recipies from the inn of the Last Home. I had that when I was a kid. I think I made a dish once with some help. Wish I still had that so I could make Otik's famous spiced potatoes.

"I was just borrowing it!!!" Forgot that was Tass's favorite saying or more to the point, it is the favorite saying of the whole kender race :)

Did anyone ever play the game Heroes of the Lance? I had that on Dos. That was one tough game. It was supposedly based on the first book of the trilogy just like the movie. I say "supposedly" because I couldn't get very far in that game without dying. I think I remember something about gully dwarves, but the thing I remember most was being lost half the time and getting my butt kicked by baby dragons.

Yeah, I think we played that on the C-64... I, also, remember being lost. It was a side-scroller where you could change characters at any time and there were too many doors. We never played it through because it didn't make sense and there were better games out like SSI's Wrath of Niccadaemus(?sp) and Pool of Radiance...

I am excited to hear about this animated feature, especially since they went to the trouble of hiring some decent voice talent. Initially I thought it was not animated and thought that Kiefer Sutherland for Tanis and Lucy Lawless for Kitiara were smart matches.

Heroes of the lance...it was more like an action game than anything else but I had only tapedriver for the c64 so I could never the better ones like pool of radiance. I did play the original por through two years ago though just to see how it could have been.

If you've never read the Chronicles trilogy, I HIGHLY recommend it. IMO, it is the best trilogy written since LOTR.

Som "critics" consider it as garbage when compared to real goodies like song of fire and ice but for me too its definetly one of the favorites.

That's the game. Sorry you didn't have a 5.25" at your disposal, it certainly opened up a wold of opportunity. What did you think of your recent play through of PoR? Did you get to play the Apshai games at all, the fist ones could be loaded from tape, IIRC.

As far as the books being 'garbage', I guess I can sympathize since my favorite author; H.P. Lovecraft, was considered pulp garbage in his time as well. Certainly the books aren't milestones of American literature but they were very good yarns in my opinion.

Dragonlance was my Harry Potter when I was a kid. Even today I knew all the characters in the books without having to actually look them up on the net.

I don't normally pay too much attention to critics or academics for that matter. They tend to over analyze books and movies. I don't really see how they could say it was garbage. The characters are very memorable with a great plot. IMO it beats the pants off of Harry Potter or many of the other books that came later. I haven't read Song of Fire and Ice so I can't compare it too that one.

Oh well, academics and critics always love to trash great novels. That is their nature.

Dragonlance was my Harry Potter when I was a kid. Even today I knew all the characters in the books without having to actually look them up on the net.

Same here, except when I was reading the books there wasn't really an "internet" to look things up on.
I have great fond memories of the books, and keep meaning to buy them again but whenever I'm in a used book-store, they never have complete series available (and the books are always in terrible shape, as though they've been carried to hell and back in some 12 year old's backpack......) . I believe there are some anthologies now in print, so I may grab those at some point.

As for the animated thing, I think it looks dreadful.

That's the game. Sorry you didn't have a 5.25" at your disposal, it certainly opened up a wold of opportunity. What did you think of your recent play through of PoR? Did you get to play the Apshai games at all, the fist ones could be loaded from tape, IIRC.

I had c64 from 1988(?) to early 90s. I never heard of any apshai games. I didnt even know there existed any rpgs for tape because I never heard of them or saw them in any magazine. Most likely they were released before I got the c64 and they were never sold after that or somthing. It almost feels like the games for the tape got "simpler" towards the end. All they released was action / driving / platformers with few sims here and there.

PoR was okay but in the sequel I had to quit. The turn based combat was kinda fun even if there was abit too much of it. I still have to finish Baldurs gate 2 even so I dont have time to play the old gold box games.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom