Dungeon Guardians - Review @ Defunct Games

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
Defunct Games has reviewed The Fall of the Dungeon Guardians:

[...]
I suspect that this style of grid-based role-playing game will always be fraught with problems, no matter how advanced the graphics get. But even with a few lingering issues, I was completely won over by The Fall of the Dungeon Guardians. By addressing most of the shortcomings found in old school 3D dungeon crawlers, Mana Games has created an addictive adventure game worth exploring.

Score: B+
More information.

It doesn't seem a compelling game, it looks basically just like a carbon coby of Legends of Grimrock. I'm sure it's not a bad game, but it's simply unneeded.

I don't think those real-time step-based dungeon crawlers are very good. By their design their gameplay will be very limited to the same few things: the same "push the hidden switch" and "put various objects on various cases to trigger a secret door" puzzles, and the same "dancing around steps to avoid monsters and hit them".

Humanity has risen!,
you probably didn't have a good look, because there's almost no "dancing around steps to avoid monsters and hit them" in Dungeon Guardians ; that's the point of this game..! ^^

Apart from being a dungeon crawler with lots of combat, I don't think it's much like Grimrock.

I've only played it a little, but I've already seen massive differences - including a "holy trinity" combat system of a tank/dps/healer nature which works sort of a like a real-time Wizardry.

So, you can safely discount the words of HHR once again.

Back
Top Bottom