Dungeons of Dredmor - Update, Impressions

I'm probably going to catch hell from Alrik, but I'd actually prefer ASCII graphics to cute children and monsties.

I know, many do - I'm just not one of them. I guess I'm too "visuals centered" in that regard. It's the reason why I could never really get into dwarf fortress either, which I really regret, based on the gameplay. I am still hoping for a real tile-based mode coming out for it eventually.

I know, many do - I'm just not one of them. I guess I'm too "visuals centered" in that regard. It's the reason why I could never really get into dwarf fortress either, which I really regret, based on the gameplay. I am still hoping for a real tile-based mode coming out for it eventually.

Did you try it with one of the many tilesets going about ?

Either of these 2 should make it playable for anyone:

http://mayday.w.staszic.waw.pl/df.php
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=53180.0

To put it another way, I wouldn't play DoD with ASCII graphics either - but on a deserted island with nothing else to do, I'd choose ASCII over cutie-pie ;)

I'm VERY demanding when it comes to visuals.

That seemed a bit messy when I last looked (and a performance hog). Tilesets
are good enough for me at this point.

But if the Z axis abstraction is what is throwing you off perhaps its worth a try.

I may give it a try after a few revisions (or twelve) myself but right now I am free
from the clutches of DF and on to other things :)

After enough fiddling with GBA then DS & PSP and now iOS stuff ... my abhorrence of cutesie-pie visuals has waned - don't prefer them but tolerate them. And DoD is *much* better than jRPG stuff in that regard.

Back
Top Bottom