Elden Ring journeys and experiences

@Redglyph If you think the Godskin Duo pissed you off, imagine how this guy feels. :)

That must be so frustrating! How someone can do a hit-free run is way beyond me, though. They must be exceptionally good.

So far, the game has been surprisingly bug-free, at the exception of one single crash while it was loading an area.

Some enemies are not melee-friendly. :p

After a few attempts with Placidusax, I finally defeated him with the Mimic and... a bow. I maxed out a simple greatbow and used Rain of Arrows (with expensive Radhan's Spear arrows). I was also wearing the two bow-related talismans. This makes for 2-3k per shot, and they're not too slow to execute. More importantly, it's possible to keep a good distance and to run away when he's doing his laser show and AoE attacks.

The fun part was finding this Ash of War. Originally, I saw an advice to use the Lion Greatbow, that I had, but the Greatbow just delivers more punch, so I checked if there was another skill than its default and found out about Rain of Arrows. When I finally got it, after falling to my death a few times, I saw one of the healthiest enemy out there: a mage golem. I couldn't defeat it - I don't even have any idea how far down his HP was, because for some reason, I can't see it. I wonder if maybe he's immortal? Apparently, it's also possible to get to this place by abusing a spiritspring rather than going down the cliffs by jumping on roots and columns, which is very tricky.

I also had this Draconic Tree Sentinel bastard. Timing a roll with his lightning attack is very difficult, and hitting him is a risky business, but Hoarfrost Stomp got the better of him. I didn't touch him once with my blade, except to finish him off at the end.

Anyway, next on the list is Malenia.

Last edited:
Exit Malenia. When subtlety fails...

1702382198997.png

To make it even more uncivilized, I had Prelate's Charge on it. She loved it. ;)

skill-prelates-charge-elden-ring-wiki-480px.gif

I also had this Draconic Tree Sentinel bastard. Timing a roll with his lightning attack is very difficult, and hitting him is a risky business, but Hoarfrost Stomp got the better of him. I didn't touch him once with my blade, except to finish him off at the end.
Is that the guy guarding the entrance to where you fight Maliketh the Black Blade or whatever his name is? If so, he killed me more times than Maliketh did.

Is that the guy guarding the entrance to where you fight Maliketh the Black Blade or whatever his name is? If so, he killed me more times than Maliketh did.
Same here! He was painful.

Hard to know whether the DLC will be released in early 2024 or not. After FromSoftware commented there was still a long way to go (1, 2), other rumours are coming from a device supposed to launch in February, "in sync with the DLC".

View: https://www.reddit.com/r/GamingLeaksAndRumours/comments/18ivr60/a_page_for_elden_ring_x_thrustmaster_collab/

(the only link that works: View: https://imgur.com/a/nz85cAB
)

EDIT: @Couchpotato posted it on his news page, too.

Last edited:
Hard to know whether the DLC will be released in early 2024 or not. After FromSoftware commented there was still a long way to go (1, 2), other rumours are coming from a device supposed to launch in February, "in sync with the DLC".
Yeah, the rumours are conflicting, but I think it's getting released sooner rather than later. Another rumour is that there could be a second expansion down the road, but I'm a little more skeptical of that one.

Yeah, the rumours are conflicting, but I think it's getting released sooner rather than later. Another rumour is that there could be a second expansion down the road, but I'm a little more skeptical of that one.
I hope it's the sooner option. Were you ever tempted to play a 2nd time with a different class, or in NG+?

Next task: All achievements in Dark Souls 3! It is the same kind of fun!
You guessed right: I've added it to my wishlist. I'll try to play Phantom Liberty and other stuff I bought first, though. :) And I'm not sure how it'll feel playing it after Elden Ring.

I hope it's the sooner option. Were you ever tempted to play a 2nd time with a different class, or in NG+?
Oh I'm definitely replaying it someday. It'll be a fresh game though not NG+.

I'm not big on the concept of NG+ in games like this. I think it's weird when you keep your inventory and then get the same weapons and items in the game world again.

You guessed right: I've added it to my wishlist. I'll try to play Phantom Liberty and other stuff I bought first, though. :) And I'm not sure how it'll feel playing it after Elden Ring.
In fact, I played DS3 after Elden Ring , since I was never interested in the Souls games before. And while I found DS2 too dated to get into it, I loved DS3. It is very similar to Elden Ring from the gameplay, look, and feel, the only difference is, that it is less open world. However, it is so big (in particular if you play it with the add ons, which integrate into the main game), that this didn't bother me . Sometimes I think, that it is even better than Elden Ring.

Oh I'm definitely replaying it someday. It'll be a fresh game though not NG+.

I'm not big on the concept of NG+ in games like this. I think it's weird when you keep your inventory and then get the same weapons and items in the game world again.
I've played a little in NG+ but it was too easy, though I didn't try to fight Margit or other big bosses. It feels like cheating, and as you said, there's the full inventory. The Twin Maiden still have all the bell bearings, too.

I wonder how the DLC will start. Do we continue the game, either in NG+ or simply after the story, to access the new content? And I suppose the end we chose doesn't matter because it would be too complicated. IMO it would be better if we got access through a quest, and that would make more sense in a new game since those quests are usually dependent on one another. Otherwise, it would feel artificially isolated.

I wonder how the DLC will start. Do we continue the game, either in NG+ or simply after the story, to access the new content? And I suppose the end we chose doesn't matter because it would be too complicated. IMO it would be better if we got access through a quest, and that would make more sense in a new game since those quests are usually dependent on one another. Otherwise, it would feel artificially isolated.
Afaik, all of FromSoft's DLCs in previous games took place during the campaign, so I expect Shadow of The Erdtree will as well. It'll probably be a high-level area that we'll want to do before the end of the game.

The lore in this game is impressive. If I understood well, George R.R. Martin wrote the background lore and Hidetaka Miyazaki designed the dialogues and the descriptions based on what Martin wrote, and he made sure the world was designed accordingly. So it's not directly told to the player as some other games do, but it can be spotted in many little details and reconstructed: items, hints in dialogues, and how the world is built. It's more natural, and it's also great because everything is coherent.

I'm mentioning that because I've just seen this new video explaining the lore. I haven't watched much, but some people have examined remains of buildings, statues, beasts, and other elements, then cross-referenced them with details provided by examining the items in the inventory, and they came up with theories on the timeline, the factions, the characters, ... Not unlike archeologists and historians.

The video is 13-hour long and it's only the first part, and another one from someone else is 11-hour long, so there's apparently quite a lot to say about it. There's much in this game that can so easily be missed.

Back
Top Bottom