Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Revealed

I'm excited, yet aprehensive. I'm excited that it's in Skryim. But, i wonder how closely they will follow the lore aspects of Skyrim. As we know, they thew out the lore when the made Oblivion. It was nothing like it was described in earlier games.

w00t!!! I'm so excited, I just can't hide it :) There are 350+ posts in 24 minutes on Bethesda's Forums about the news. I'm not sure there is a more popular single-player series in existence. Definitely not a single-player crpg. I just got my Christmas present a couple weeks early.

Definitely is a Single Player game.
Bethesda Blog said:
In regards to the MMO comment, he was asked if there was “any chance of an Elder Scrolls MMO” and he replied — in a joking fashion — by saying “I guess there’s a chance.” To be clear, Todd and his team do not make MMOs, for any franchise, at all. We have another division – ZeniMax Online Studios – which is lead by Matt Firor, and they are working on an MMO. They have not said anything about what game they are making. When ZeniMax Online is ready to show what they are up to, we’ll let everyone know. Until then we aren’t going to provide hints or speculate on what they’re doing either.

http://bethblog.com/index.php/2009/08/17/clarifying-about-next-elder-scrolls-game-mmo-etc/

I am TES 's bitch and i hope this to be great .
Byt Skyrim ? WTF ! frozen wasteland is a bad idea , i was hopping for Akavir ...

I really wish that this adds something to the lore .

What exactly did the video mean by "the tools" ? Kagrenac ?

I like how relatively low-key the teaser is. Premise sounds as generic as it gets though.

I love fantasy in my RPG's :)
Yeah, me too, problem is that most of the so called fantasy RPGs have actually very little of it and rely on usual tropes like dragons, orcs, dwarfs, etc.
I love imagination in my fantasy RPGs :).

Wasn't there a unicorn in Oblivion?

Haven't played it yet, sorry.

But apart from that . it would be only ONE in MANY C-RPGs ...

id Tech 5 wouldn't exist without id Tech 1, and is a direct continuation of it, yet I don't think anyone will claim Rage is on Doom's engine. Or even Doom 3's engine. You can equate all engines in a family but what's the point? Fallout 3 and Oblivion are on very similar technology, with only modest upgrades, whereas Morrowind does not share that close tie. That's the relevant part of the comparison, saying Morrowind is on Gamebryo just obfuscates the picture.

Your analogy with the id Tech engines is false, as id Tech 5 is not a continuation of id Tech 1. In fact, id Tech 2 wasn't even a continuation of id Tech 1, but actually based on the Quake engine.

Whether Morrowind shares a close tie is irrelevant. Half-Life used a version of the Quake engine that had 70% of the code rewritten, but they still acknowledge that it was made with the Quake engine.

Sounds like Max von Sydow narrating.

I know it's Oblivion and I'll eat up the coming screenshots like everyone else, but aren't we all getting just a little tired of the cod-medieval/orcs and elves/you are the chosen one formula?

Nope not really :)

/sarcasm on
I vote for an autocomplete quest button. If folllowing the arrow to the next quest marker seems too hard, just press the autocomplete button and you'll automatically finish the quest. Or why not eliminate even more skills. You just need three, melee, magic, thievery. /sarcasm off

I vote on an "accessibility options" function in the main menu that can reduce the number of total quests, and disable inventory and character statistics.

Your analogy with the id Tech engines is false, as id Tech 5 is not a continuation of id Tech 1.

True, I misstated there. But you ignored the actual crux of my argument in favor of details, unless you think people commonly say Rage is being made on the Doom 3 engine.

Whether Morrowind shares a close tie is irrelevant. Half-Life used a version of the Quake engine that had 70% of the code rewritten, but they still acknowledge that it was made with the Quake engine.

I think I lost track of what you're trying to argue. Why is this relevant? Are you saying the naming of engines is more important than how much they actually share in code? I'm sorry, but this argument is losing me in pedantry. The transition from Morrowind to Oblivion and Oblivion to Fallout 3 on a technical level could serve as an interesting example/analogy here, though I think we lack clear information as the quoted Bethesda statements are a bit vague. I think insisting on equating Morrowind's take on NetImmerse and Oblivion/Fallout 3's take on Gamebryo just obfuscates the argument, but on the other hand I have no real problem with you insisting on calling them all Gamebryo, so go ahead. It doesn't matter.

Loved Arena. Loved Daggerfall. Loved Morrowind. Loved Oblivion. Can't wait for Skyrim!

I think I lost track of what you're trying to argue. Why is this relevant? Are you saying the naming of engines is more important than how much they actually share in code? I'm sorry, but this argument is losing me in pedantry. The transition from Morrowind to Oblivion and Oblivion to Fallout 3 on a technical level could serve as an interesting example/analogy here, though I think we lack clear information as the quoted Bethesda statements are a bit vague. I think insisting on equating Morrowind's take on NetImmerse and Oblivion/Fallout 3's take on Gamebryo just obfuscates the argument, but on the other hand I have no real problem with you insisting on calling them all Gamebryo, so go ahead. It doesn't matter.

There's no argument, I'm simply pointing out what seems to be openly acknowledged by Bethesda and Emergent. I'm not sure why you insist on using terms like "obfuscates". Unless you think Emergent would try to mislead people by posting false information on their website. Ah well… I think we've all made more out of it than was really necessary. :)

Hmmm, I could care less what engine the game uses. As long as it's mod friendly, I'm cool.

I also placed a period in my original post instead of a comma. I meant to say it was the most popular single-player game of all time, definitely the most popular crpg. You can disagree, because it's impossible to tell. If Bioware? would have kept updating the Infinity Engine, I think it could have stayed king.

There was definitely a unicorn in Oblivion. It was the best mounted beast in the game, minus mods. Unicorns were also prevalent in Might and Magic VII.

To those who think Bethesda has something to prove to you; get over yourself. Their games sell and they make millions. You're just not worthy enough to own a title :D If the games you love don't sell well, it's because they suck. You're not elite for liking obscure titles that can't make a buck, just pathetic. If your game had made modding easy, so that others could mod out what they didn't like, then your game might still be making money, just like Oblivion. Never ignore the fact that Bethesda allows and encourages modding. It is reason numero uno that their games do so well for such a long period of time.

If the games you love don't sell well, it's because they suck. You're not elite for liking obscure titles that can't make a buck, just pathetic. If your game had made modding easy, so that others could mod out what they didn't like, then your game might still be making money, just like Oblivion. Never ignore the fact that Bethesda allows and encourages modding. It is reason numero uno that their games do so well for such a long period of time.

fanboy-spotted-fanboy-spotted-demotivational-poster-1267740343.jpg

If the games you love don't sell well, it's because they suck. You're not elite for liking obscure titles that can't make a buck, just pathetic.

I think you're overstating your case just a tad, dude.

To those who think Bethesda has something to prove to you; get over yourself. Their games sell and they make millions. You're just not worthy enough to own a title :D If the games you love don't sell well, it's because they suck. You're not elite for liking obscure titles that can't make a buck, just pathetic.

Are you actually serious? Sales numbers determine if a game is good or not? Does the same apply for music and movies? By that logic, the Black Eyed Peas would be making musical masterpieces, and the Twilight movies would be really awesome.

And don't worry, I don't think I'm "elite" for not thinking Oblivion was a great RPG. My self-esteem is based pretty much entirely on other things. I don't think I'm "pathetic" either. That statement makes you sound like an angry fanboy, which is…well, not all that impressive. This is a subjective matter, and people are entitled to have different opinions. If you were open-minded about it, you might even find that there are perfectly good and rational reasons why someone could dislike some aspects of Oblivion.

Anyway, I stand by what I said. As far as I'm concerned, Bethesda has something to prove. That's not the same as expecting them to care.

Kay

Oh and, bring it on. Always loved me some Elder Scrolls no matter the warts, no matter the scaling, no matter the pared skills, no matter the compass function, no matter the lack of "Radiant" uberness. Like summer popcorn movies I would long have given up gaming in jaded frustration if I didn't learn how to switch off my inner critic.

Back
Top Bottom