ES4: Oblivion - Editoral @ GameGrin

I thought Oblivion had the better main quest, mage's quest, fighter quests and side quests in general. Skyrim had much, much better dungeons and enemies. Cyrodiil is gorgeous and Skyrim is dirty white with pretty Riften. What makes Skyrim an overall better experience is the modding community, many of whom cut their teeth on Oblivion. I've played both games an extreme number of hours and I still can't get over how much greater each game becomes on replays due to modding. Outside of voice acting, which is consistently better in the main game, the skills of the many (modders) outweigh the skills of the few(Bethesda). Bethesda, however, allowed this and even encourages it. Hopefully they don't f*** it up with TESO.

Hmm well I have 1350+ hours in Skyrim so far. I had about 73 hours in Oblivion and never finished. Morrowind I have to estimate but I would say it was easily close to 600 hours considering how long I played it. No idea on Daggerfall although I loved the game and finished it a few times.

Of all of them Oblivion was the only one I could not get into, although not because it was boring exactly (I suppose maybe if I had played it long enough I could make an opinion on that) but because I did not know about modding at the time (or thought they were unsafe/pointless) and hated level scaling so bad it turned the game off to me.

I do not like the dumb downed mechanics of Skyrim and much prefer Oblivion and Morrowind in regards to many of the mechanics. But by far I prefer the quests, characters, exploration and other aspects of Skyrim.

One of the best and most epic games I have ever played in the almost 50 years I have been around :)

That's interesting wolf. We're both huge Skyrim fans, but I thought that the contracts of the Fighter's Guild massively trumped the boring Companion questline. I thought the mage's guild vs the necromancers infinitely superior to the College vs Ancano. I thought the thieves guild questlines were a wash, and never played the Dark Brotherhood in either game. I just can't play a murderer. I love Skyrim, but it is the exploration and dungeon delving that wins me over.

As far as the mod scene, Skyrim wins, but that is as much to do with modding becoming so popular thanks to Oblivion and to a lesser extent, Morrowind. Also being Win7 friendly will keep Skyrim going vs a slow dying for Oblivion.

Chalk me up as another person who just couldn't get into Oblivion either. Found it too tedious and had several flaws (some clunky animation, level scaling, some grotesque facial textures, repetitive voice actors, poor AI, awful melee combat, etc).

I have no issue with others who enjoy the game, it just wasn't for me.

Back
Top Bottom