Fallout 3 - Distinctions between VATS and RTwP

Let me try asking you this then:

Can we have Sonic - the Hedgehog in Fallout 3? I mean one could make a Sonic Fallouty kind of game, blending Sonic, Tails and Big Cat in with say Deathclaws, supermutants, raiders, and ghouls. I mean, both exist in sort of a Fantay world, right?

Or as Brother None once asked on the Bethsoft forum? Can we have a pink (I think it was pink?) elephant in Fallout 3 or maybe unicorns or the Mako or Gorion in Fallout 3?? (notwithstanding the legal problems).

Pink or purple pony, it was, I think.

However, before you run off with my argument, that was about verisimilitude as applied in the setting, because some people on the BethSoft forums were pushing some silly arguments on the basis of "you can't expect realism (as in setting realism, not mechanics realism) in a game that has power armors". That argument is false, granted.

But it seems to me we're talking about (or at least this discussion started on, it seems to be turning elsewhere) first-person perspective and real-time combat. Those are mechanics questions, and unless you're in a "ludicrous", cartooney setting, the question of "is FPS/RT more realistic than iso/TB" is a fair one, and one that I would think would be answered with "yes". Using verisimilitude as a counter-argument doesn't make much sense, here.

So far no one's talking about putting Sonic, pink elephants or Picachu (whatever that is) into Fallout 3 except you guys as examples of bad ideas. I think everyone already knows that bad ideas aren't good ideas.

But your bad ideas are never going to reflect poorly on anyone else, no matter how hard you try. There's just no getting around the fact that those ideas are yours and nobody elses.

Look, I don't blame you guys for wanting Fallout 3 to be a great game and one that Fallout fans would particularly enjoy. I'm all for it. And it may turn out that VATS isn't such a good idea (we'll see).

I'm just balking at some of the rules that are being suggested that I happen to disagree with, the ones about how games work and how people should feel about them.
I'm not entirely sure what to make of your position here to be honest.

Firstly, my suggestion (what was patently ridiculous) of including something so far out-of-context as DnD-style clerics in Fallout wasn't meant as an idea of what should be in Fallout; it was meant to highlight the difference between in-setting vs Real Life issues. That's all. Direct response to someone else's point about those same elements.

Secondly, I'm not talking about "how games should be" or "how people should feel about them" in general. I'm talking about how I react to certain elements in games. Just me.

'course, none of the above might automatically disqualify me from being an ass, but if I am, I'd like to be characterized as one for the right reasons, at least.

Brother None said:
However, before you run off with my argument, that was about verisimilitude as applied in the setting, because some people on the BethSoft forums were pushing some silly arguments on the basis of "you can't expect realism (as in setting realism, not mechanics realism) in a game that has power armors".
And that's the precise (and only) point I was trying to make in response to that earlier poster.

Okay before this gets out of hand I just have to say that you're making my point for me. I was commenting on the fact that a discussion about what GAMEPLAY element is more realistic in a fictional universe is blurring the lines of distinction between real life and fiction and that is NOT keeping in the spirit of verisimilitude in my opinion.

We may all have a preferred combat mechanism, be it RT, TB, RTwP, VATS or something else entirely, when we sit in front of the screen with a mouse and keyboard/gamepad in our hands but that is a real life issue and has no bearing whatsoever on the fictional universe of Fallout.

Back
Top Bottom