Fallout: New Vegas - PC Version Patched

I think he was saying he would rather spend his money on New Vegas when it works more properly.

I have the issue with VATS and right click aiming not always responding since the patch.

How do I see what patches have actually been installed on Steam, I found a link for 'view update history' but it just shows me the articles posted about New Vegas updates. i.e. how do I know that a hotfix has been installed?

How do I see what patches have actually been installed on Steam, I found a link for 'view update history' but it just shows me the articles posted about New Vegas updates. i.e. how do I know that a hotfix has been installed?
The only way I found was to open up Windows Explorer, locate the FalloutNV.eve, and check its properties. Mine is 1.1.1.271, because Eastern European customers who bought the English version apparently are not worthy of the newest patch.

You would really rather spend your money on bug-free RPG pretenders like ArcaniA than on Obsidian's "flawed" RPGs?

Since I'm not psychic, I don't always know what I want to pay for.

I bought Arcania at half price - and I think it was worth it. It was a decidedly average game - but it worked and I had fun with it.

I'd buy Fallout: NV in a heartbeat - except I don't feel like supporting the kind of technical state it seems to be in. I bought Alpha Protocol, and was really disappointed. I bought NWN2 and it was nearly unplayable at first. I bought KotOR2 - and it was unfinished and messy.

At some point, I think I need to draw the line - and Fallout: NV will be the example.

You might think their Q/A process is ok, and you might think they released the game in an acceptable state. I don't.

When it works like it should - I'll buy it at a reduced price.

It's not about whether I like Obsidian's designs or not, it's about what I think is fair.

Obsidian is not really the reason, though, it's more about the general attitude amongst gamers and the industry. It has become fully acceptable to release unfinished games and then patch them up later. But I'm tired of that kind of thing, and I have been for a long time. So, when even the Xbox versions have serious problems - a completely closed platform that should be almost infallible to test for, it gets out of hand. There's just no good reason why a release version should be crashing for so many people. That's supposed to be one of the primary advantages of a closed platform, and I think it's downright insulting that developers or publishers will greenlight a game with such issues - regardless of whether it's eventually patched up or not.

Last edited:
Since I'm not psychic, I don't always know what I want to pay for.

I bought Arcania at half price - and I think it was worth it. It was a decidedly average game - but it worked and I had fun with it.

I'd buy Fallout: NV in a heartbeat - except I don't feel like supporting the kind of technical state it seems to be in. I bought Alpha Protocol, and was really disappointed. I bought NWN2 and it was nearly unplayable at first. I bought KotOR2 - and it was unfinished and messy.

At some point, I think I need to draw the line - and Fallout: NV will be the example.

You might think their Q/A process is ok, and you might think they released the game in an acceptable state. I don't.

When it works like it should - I'll buy it at a reduced price.

It's not about whether I like Obsidian's designs or not, it's about what I think is fair.

Right. Keep in mind though, that at least some of this apparent "bugginess" of Obsidian games is nothing but complete brainfart by journalists. It's Obsidian, so it has to be buggy, man! I've had a grand total of 1 ctd during 40 hours or so of playing (and abusing alt-tab excessively during this time) and in fact i wouldn't say that the game has a lot more issuses than Fallout 3 had at release ( i remeber at one point alt-tab always caused a crash with this one for me). They're just blown out of proportion, because, "OMG, it's Obsidian, they make buggy games, everyone knows it, man!".

Last edited:
Right. Keep in mind though, that at least some of this apparent "bugginess" of Obsidian games is nothing but complete brainfart by journalists. It's Obsidian, so it has to be buggy, man! I've had a grand total of 1 ctd during 40 hours or so of playing (and abusing alt-tab excessively during this time) and in fact i wouldn't say that the game has a lot more issuses than Fallout 3 had at release ( i remeber at one point alt-tab always caused a crash with this one for me). They're just blown out of proportion, because, "OMG, it's Obsidian, they make buggy games, everyone knows it, man!".

I know there are individual users with few issues, but I rely on the "majority" consensus.

I don't trust reviewers at all, I go by offical forums and places like this and QT3 - where WAY too many users are reporting serious issues.

Fallout 3 was also unacceptable, and I bought that before realising this.

But when Obsidian release games in a state like this OVER AND OVER - I can't really go by individual reports of stability. I could buy it and be "lucky" - because I'm quite experienced with issues like this, but I just don't think it's fair to expect that of a paying consumer.

You might say I just had enough, and Obsidian burned me once too often.

Not quite sure I'm following your logic here - you're punishing yourself by not playing what is quite possibly the game of the year, because you want to punish Obsidian?

Not quite sure I'm following your logic here - you're punishing yourself by not playing what is quite possibly the game of the year, because you want to punish Obsidian?

Punishing myself?

I suppose in a way I could be, if I didn't have a ton of other games to play.

I have no interest in punishing anyone. I just want to send a message in that tiny pathetic way you can as a consumer.

But, yeah, sometimes it costs something to do what you believe is right.

Pretty amazing concept, isn't it ;)

But, if you want to understand this in a logical way. You should consider that I don't enjoy playing unstable games, because I get frustrated - but I DO enjoy playing good games that work - and that's why I'll pay for it, when I feel confident I can do that.

Gah!

I gave in to temptation and got FO:NV last night. Got home, popped in the DVD, and installed it. Then steam decided to update it or something. Estimate to finish: 5 hours. FIVE HOURS?!? WTH?! Did the DVD just contain the code to download the actual game or something?

Oh well, I got to try it for 15 minutes before I left for work this morning.

:disappointed:

Last edited:
The whole Steam thing is the biggest drawback of F:NV. Rather frustrating to say the least.

But, yeah, sometimes it costs something to do what you believe is right.

Quite a pointless ordeal this day and age in my opinion. New Vegas or Obsidian games in general are not in worse state out of the box than at least 50% of the games that get released despite what gaming press tries to tell you. With certain developers this has never been any better. Remeber Daggerfall? Remeber all the games that Troika ever released? That being said, i'd rather play a buggy masterpiece like unpatched Bloodlines or Arcanum or Daggerfall any day over soulless polished turd like Arcania.

Out of topic, but because Alpha Protocol was mentioned: What happened to the promised patch? Is it in a playable state?

I played it twice through and had no trouble. I don't remember having to get a patch but I always check before playing.

I'd rather play flawed gem such as NWN 2 than polished turd like Arcania.

I'd rather play flawed gem such as NWN 2 than polished turd like Arcania.

Yeah, and I'd rather be tortured than executed. But that doesn't make torture something to encourage by supporting it.

I must be lucky then,

I had no problems with Alpha Protocol and only two crashes to the desktop with Fallout: NV.

It's still flawed? After 50 patches or whatever? Guess they've worked hard to make sure it's flawed :)

No amount of patching is going to fully fix that camera or the poor design of the first chapter of the official campaign.

As for NV, the only bugs I ran into were very minor, although by time it was released in Europe they'd already patched it, and there was nothing serious like quests breaking. It wasn't any more or less stable than other games in this engine. I had just one CTD in the first 30 hours, but after that it began crashing much more regularly, about every 3 hours - mostly from loading a save during combat. But that was the same experience I had in Oblivion and Fallout 3, the more you keep playing the less stable it gets.

I've had one buggy quest and one or two crashes to desktop in about 30 hours of play. That's acceptable to me. I know others are having bigger problems but so far so good for me.

and there was nothing serious like quests breaking.

Quest breaking is there though. Actually, quite a shitload of quests can be broken.
The thing is, one isn´t likely to encounter much of this during average playthrough, since breaking usually occurs when approaching things in a maybe more nonstandard manner, at least I guess so.
If you´re more of an experimenting type and highly prone to freeroaming, you´ll probably end up with few quests in suboptimal state.
Combination of open world and multiple quest solutions results in a big amount of variables and not all are always taken into account properly.

For example, in my quite thorough playthrough, SPOILERS, I´ve noticed a major bug in Bortherhood line (it was easily to spot it doesn´t work as indended, so I´ve avoided it), couldn´t finish Veronica´s quest because I´ve acquired one item too early, I could play for both Yes Man and NCR for too long and it could result in NCR line being broken, the NCR/Fiends skirmish would most likely mess up one of Khan´s quest would I´ve taken different approach in it and logic in otherwise awesome White Gloves quest wasn´t airtight either if I tried to use simultaneously more than one path to solve it.
Companions sometimes loosing their weapons and ED-E making NCR go hostile became also quite noticeable after a while.
All these things are so obvious, it´s clear the game really wasn´t tested all that thoroughly.

Given the overall amount and quality of game´s content and rather expansive experience the world provides, it didn´t bother me much and overall I consider New Vegas a great game even in the state I´ve played it, but it does have a lot of issues which should be addressed.
Hopefully the patch which will tighten the quest logic is already in development.

Last edited:
Many of the so called "broken" quests in the forums, are actually not broken!

There are a lot of inexperienced gamers, they are simply not used to solve a complex quest by using the brain a little bit more and some tenacity.

The next step is not obvious - ok -> quest must be broken ;)

I remember in the triology Wizardry 6,7,8 are quests, reaching from part 6 to 8.

"In Wizardry 6, when Rebecca first appears, if the party says, "I love you," she will give them a diamond ring. This ring has excellent healing and defensive stats, and can be used in Wizardry VII to acquire some of the strongest items in the game, and can be returned to Bela in Wizardry 8 for a massive experience bonus and his thanks."

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom