Frayed Knights - Released and Available For Download

Congrats Jay!

Thumbs up to indie RPGs who still know what the genre is truly about. Now to bug my sister about buying the game for me…

EDIT: just had a thought, since there are some questions regarding low res, what are the chances for a high res version mod ?

Last edited:
Woah would love to play this soon, but I'm getting married and going on my honeymoon this Friday. Hopefully the wife to be will let me play some on it when we get back. ;)

Daniel.

Been following FK for years, hoping that it would make it. YAY! And it's my birthday in a couple of weeks... sounds perfect!

Minor question: if I buy the Win version now, will I be able to switch to the MAc version when it arrives?

Big congrats, Jay! Glad to see this come together for you.

Okay, I'm up again (4.5 hours of sleep later) ---

New vendors have tighter fraud screening. This is a Good Thing. But they've now decided that I'm legit, and have taken things back to normal levels.

Cantello: The plan is that the license key will work for either version. The purchase of the game shouldn't lock you to the platform for a "true" port, so you should be able to play either version with a single purchase.

why did you use fairly low-polygon models and low-resoultion textures? Engine limitations, system requirements, artistic direction or limited resources? I'm not sure how much extra work it would be to make higher-polygon models and hi-res textures.
Yes to all but the artistic direction side of things. Although there's part of that too. I wanted to make sure older computers (up to 5 years old) could play the game, first off. And the engine is... well, it's a frankenengine build upon 10-year old technology. There are still comments in the code referring to where they used it for the game Tribes. That was, what, 1999? Anyway, it's not a stellar performer. More modern engines have better schemes for things like texture and object management, scene management, etc... but they also get to assume more modern systems (which is why, if you have to dial the detail down on the newest games to get them to run on your machine... something I do a lot... they actually look crappier than older games)

Another problem - and this is something of considerable note with modern games: What works well when you've got only one enemy on the screen can suddenly go to crap when you've got six or more high-LOD (level of detail) enemies packed together in front of you. Modern games tend to be very aggressive with this, preventing too many high-detail enemies from being visible at once. They use all kinds of tricks to fake it, so you probably don't notice it. I'm still in awe of how they made Left4Dead work... they did some really cool things with that one to be able to display zombie hordes.

But that's another reason why shooters are so popular... you are at a distance with your opponents and so they can use a lower level-of-detail, imposters, etc. That's ALSO why you tend to get worlds that are much more linear in modern games - it's is a technical constraint affecting design, but it allows them to really aggressively control their scene management and therefore show the highest-quality models they can.

Anyway, lots of answers, most of them technology-based, but the final answer is: That's what worked. We did a bit of experimenting and kinda-sorta found out what worked. That's why we're hoping things will go faster with the sequel, if we don't do something crazy and change engines... we know what works in advance and how to avoid the hundreds of pitfalls we encountered the first time around.

Purchased this, will post about it in a few gaming forums I'm on.

As to the CD-ROM edition... no, that's a BMT Micro thing that I'm not involved in. Just for folks who want them to send them a physical backup.

Looking forward to my eventual purchase when funds avail----big congrats on making this first release of the Trilogy!

As to the CD-ROM edition… no, that's a BMT Micro thing that I'm not involved in. Just for folks who want them to send them a physical backup.

Hm ? What does this mean ? Does BMT handle physical shipments ? Or how do I have to understand this ?

Anyway, I'm very glad you and your team finally made it ( thumbs up ! ) and I'll play the demo soon. :)

I think I'll order the game as soon as the new month begins - I just want to be sure.
If so, then it will be my very first online purchase, I guess. ;)

As far as I know - hoping that the information I gathered here is still correct - I might be able to use simple bank transfers ( as described in BMT's FAQ ) as well - I'll try it out, if it is allowed as a payment method, then.

ONew vendors have tighter fraud screening. This is a Good Thing. But they've now decided that I'm legit, and have taken things back to normal levels.

No, they didn't decide you were legit. It was NOM!!! He ate the previous unbelievers and replaced them with his furry minions.

All must know of the glory and might that is NOM!

Bought the game, ready to play. Looking forward to some old school turnbased fun.

Okay, this link gets redirected to: http://rampantgames.com/frayedknights/ which has nothing about downloading and still says coming soon. I probably need to flush my cache or something…. Did all the flushing and blowing away cookies and I still get redirected, with nothing about downloading or a demo on the above page. Any ideas?

Nevermind. I must drink more coffee before posting. If I refresh the page after being redirected, I get to the right place.

Last edited:
Am a few minutes into the demo and enjoying it immensely! Advertised it a bit in the official Skyrim forums. :D

One very minor thing I noticed though was the lack of footstep sounds? I always turn music off in my games so walking around without really hearing anything detracts a bit from immersion. Is it true for the full game as well> Im hoping for footsteps and other ambient sounds.

I'm trying to download the game from BMT Micro's site, but it says File Download Error - The password is blocked. I have copied and passed my product id and password, but no avail. Is there a mirror or something?

Back
Top Bottom