Game Informer - Chris Avellone talks games & Obsidian

"It's only recently that I feel…"

Odds on his most recent game contributions are foremost to his mind and that includes Pillars. You don't have to work on a game extensively to have an opinion on it.

He worked a lot more on the cancelled Obsidian game, Wasteland 2, FTL, nu!Torment and the BG EE expansion (I forgot it in my other post) in the last five years then he did PoE (where most of his writing was rewrote to the point he doesn't even consider it his own work anymore). Saying he was talking only about PoE/Obsidian, which is what luj1 said, makes no sense. Out of that list, Wasteland 2, nu!Torment and Siege of Dragonspear all fit the description he gave (never played/followed FTL, I can't comment on that one and we don't know what the cancelled game was).

He just want to created stuff and that lead to him picking side jobs for other companies because his position at Obsidian wasn't about creating new things. That resulted in him realizing he's been doing the exact same thing for (almost) 20 years and that he basically designed and promoted that writing/dialog style in those 20 years.

Last edited:
Considering he barely wrote anything for PoE and had no lead position on it, he can't be talking about that game.

Yes he did just a few companions/books so what, does that mean he cant talk about PoE? very stupid conclussion

unfun companions - last game he wrote companions for ,

reinforcing archaic dialogue systems, - typical infinity dialogue ,

and being on titles where reactivity was simply a lot of special cased scenarios to test rather than true systematic reactivity - defines PoE very well

so yeah, good chance he's talking about PoE and moving into a different work environment (Larian)

Back
Top Bottom