Game of Thrones

I feel they're overplaying the comic relief dwarf, and they're still really fond of using sex as one of the primary draws.

But beyond that, I'm starting to find the characters engaging, though I must say I find the Lannisters implausibly cruel when directly compared with the almost altruistic and brave Starks. I'm hoping for more blurring of the lines.

I also find it interesting that all the 4 prime evils have blonde hair. The young prince is incredibly cliché in that way - but maybe there will be surprising developments there.

I think this show may be a bit hard for you to understand. As a reviewer from new york times said, you are better off with reruns of desperate housewives.

I find it sad some of you have not read one of the premier fantasy series in this generation.

I only watched the first episode so far but wanted to chime in in regard to the sex themes. They do make sense in the grander scheme of things and there's usually a reason for why they were shown beyond "just for the sake of it". A lot of things make sense in retrospect. The books were confusing enough as is, what with all the names and character relations -- methinks the series would be even more confusing, explaining only half as much at most.

My advice -- after only one episode anyway -- watch closely, carefully and remember everything. ;)

Last night's episode (4 I think) was disappointing. The weakest one by far.

The bathtub scene was too long, and cringe inducing. Really bad. The grand tournament scene was very cheap looking, with far too few people to look convincing. A budget issue I'm sure, but it looked like a small private gathering versus a wild party for the city. Hodor and Samwell were introduced. The Hodor stuff was very short and odd, and felt like it was cut up a bit for time. The Sam sequences were like a fast-forward through the book, really rushed. Theon Greyjoy is formally introduced and the scene was almost all exposition, a quick introduction then a lightning fast explanation of who he was and why he was there. Still not liking the Jaime actor, though I absolutely love Cersei.

Mediocre and disappointing at best. I really hope it picks up its stride next week.

Well, perhaps they are copying everything from the books including getting worse and worse? Talk about a faithful filming……. I guess it makes sense though… it would be weird if the TV-series got better while the books got worse…… since they follow the same storyline.

It's still telling events from the first book. I think the main problems are:

1. The story is too big.
2. The episodes are not long enough on their own (one-hour)
3. Not enough money in the budget.

Another criticism I have is lack of establishing shots. The individual sets are good to really good, but you almost never see a wide establishing shot of the city, or castle or whatever. Makes it feel cramped.

A really weird moment from last night was the horse clan approaching Vaes Dothrak. They announce "there it is" give some commentary on it, Viserys insults it. But the scene they show looked like an empty landscape. I know it's not supposed to look like a modern metropolis, but I couldn't see ANYTHING except the wilderness landscape.

edit- it's still pretty good. Overall I'm still enjoying it.

I loved this episode , that proud bitch caught the dwarf and the blond bitch wtfpwnd her brother , i still don't get the bastards thing and dont remember names ( no subtitles) but this series get better and better.
That old black guard reminded me of my army service and low level elder officers , the hole military camp thing is very well represented

The scene about horse people camp was not empty, they spent all their budget to the entrance and could only afford tents ....

So far the little finger guy is my favorite

Boring episode, in my opinion.

The evil brother is beyond stupid - and I hope he's not that extreme a character in the books. Nothing is more boring than a totally implausibly whiny stupid greedy bastard going on like a 5-year old on tantrum-drugs. Give the guy something to balance his downsides, please.

The "poor fat guy" situation reminded me of a bad high-school drama. The training sessions are about the most unconvincing I've seen.

Bah, hope it gets back on track soon :)

Fair calls. I think some of the scenes did look a bit bad because the story is being condensed down and the main points are trying to fit in with the book.

DArtagnan - Yes, stupid brother is stupid - but that's the way he was in the book. It wasn't presented in the show very much, but the Targaryens were notorious for inbreeding, and I guess Viserys has some kind of emotional stability issue.

This part of the show is going to be the weakest, because of the amount of exposition and plot and character introduction. My wife likes the show, but I'm hoping it gets better as well.

I thought episode 4 did a pretty good job, I loved the mountain that rides. The final scene played out great and was a good end for the episode.

I thought episode 4 did a pretty good job, I loved the mountain that rides. The final scene played out great and was a good end for the episode.

I don't think they did a good enough job introducing Clegane. The story between him and The Hound is good, but I seem to remember him having a more polarizing introduction...

I don't think they did a good enough job introducing Clegane. The story between him and The Hound is good, but I seem to remember him having a more polarizing introduction…

Nope, I'm pretty sure the first time you learn of him is when he kills that "knight" He grows on you though, like a planter wort.

Okay, it's been a year or so since I read any of the books, so I couldn't remember if Littlefinger told Sansa Clegane's story or not, or which story he told. There was another tale that involved the Targaryens.

Nope little finger didn't tell it in the books...in the books it was the hound later on, when he was drunk. Sorry was just rereading the series so pretty fresh in my mind.

I really envy you guys....
As I am a big fans gof GRRMs Books, I really wish there was some way to see the series over here in Germany..... Alas i have to wait till it can be bought as a DVD....

L.

I wonder if they'll release a "director's cut" of this show on DVD.

The more I think about it, the more I think the biggest problem with the show is that it's too chopped up. I would bet money that they filmed many of the scenes much longer and simply had to chop out quite a lot of it to get it all to fit. It's a shame really. This last episode left a bad taste in my mouth. As I mentioned before, I really hope they do better in the next episode.

The show is back on track after last week's disappointing episode.

It featured the longest armpit-shaving scene I've ever witnessed in television or film as well. Much bloodier than the previous episodes. Overall, very good. Talky, but good.

The scene with Arya in the dungeon was pretty lame though. The set was utterly unconvincing. Why were there all those torches burning in an unused tunnel deep in the basement? And she runs to the bars to find them locked... bars that were wide enough for me to slip through, let alone a scrawny young girl. The lead up to the Eyrie was extremely short, but they're cutting tons of stuff for the sake of brevity.

Oh well. Hope it keeps up.

I liked this episode quite a lot.

More emphasis on characters, and key people got fleshed out a bit.

Possibly my favorite, so far.

Back
Top Bottom