Games wirh a good ( great ) story

GothicGothicness

SasqWatch
I really feel like playing a game with a really good story, it doesn't have to be an RPG, preferably a fairly new game ( both indie and AAA is fine ), but older ones is also ok.

Anyone have some good recommendations?

nonRPG with a good story? Good luck with that.

A recent RPG with a good story? SP: Stick of Truth.

Not so recent yet not an ancient stuff? It's like… Pick anything mentioned even as half positive on this forum. DX:HR. FO:NV. Divine Divinity. Etc. The list would be huge.

EDIT:
Oops. No, don't pick anything mentioned as half positive as some have utter crap of stories or no story at all. Like some Crusader whatnot game or Skyrim.

I'll stick with the Stick (of Truth), wait for more input from others.

I'd highly recommend Primordia, which is a pretty recent point and click adventure game but with the feel of the old-school games.

Definitely a great story, with different endings and some multi-solution puzzles. One of my absolute favorite games, it deserves much more attention.

I'd highly recommend Primordia, which is a pretty recent point and click adventure game but with the feel of the old-school games.

Definitely a great story, with different endings and some multi-solution puzzles. One of my absolute favorite games, it deserves much more attention.

Primordia... sounds interesting but.... how to buy it? I can't find any link on their site!

I really feel like playing a game with a really good story, it doesn't have to be an RPG, preferably a fairly new game ( both indie and AAA is fine ), but older ones is also ok.

Anyone have some good recommendations?

Spec ops: the line has great story but it can be somewhat disturbing to some.
From gameplay standpoint it's mediocre TPS with good grapics.

Spec ops: the line has great story but it can be somewhat disturbing to some.
From gameplay standpoint it's mediocre TPS with good grapics.

I heard about that as well. It's the only game that deals with real-life problems in warfare.

In the past, I enjoyed Broken Sword I much, and currently I like the Book Of Unwritten Tales, it's not serious, but plays with lots of clichés of the Fantasy genre in a rather serious ( ! ) way.

If you havbe never played "Indiana Jones and the fate of Atlantis" before, DO IT NOW ! Best story I have ever seen !

The "Secret Files" series is also said to be good : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secret_Files:_Tunguska but I haven't played it yet.

Memoria is said to be good as well, but I haven't played it, too.

Same goes for "Lost Horizon".

Have you tried the Blackwell series (can be found on Steam, GOG, Desura and probably some other storefronts). It's a series of adventure games set in modern time, with supernatural elements. I quite enjoyed it.

While not exactly new, I would also recommend the first Mafia game, which had an excellent story. (Don't know where it is sold anywhere these days, but a boxed copy should be easy to track down, the game sold relatively well)

Papo & Yo is a rather short puzzle/adventure game with a very touching story. It's not a grand sweeping one, but rather deals with more human problems. I won't spoil anything, but I found it to be one of the most touching games I've ever played. Can be bought on Steam & Humble store.

Thomas Was Alone (steam) might look like an incredibly simple game, but it has a strong story, and its simple aesthetic design is worked into the story.

Have you tried the Blackwell series (can be found on Steam, GOG, Desura and probably some other storefronts). It's a series of adventure games set in modern time, with supernatural elements. I quite enjoyed it.

While not exactly new, I would also recommend the first Mafia game, which had an excellent story. (Don't know where it is sold anywhere these days, but a boxed copy should be easy to track down, the game sold relatively well)

Papo & Yo is a rather short puzzle/adventure game with a very touching story. It's not a grand sweeping one, but rather deals with more human problems. I won't spoil anything, but I found it to be one of the most touching games I've ever played. Can be bought on Steam & Humble store.

Thomas Was Alone (steam) might look like an incredibly simple game, but it has a strong story, and its simple aesthetic design is worked into the story.

I haven't played Mafia but rest are really good games, you can't go wrong with either of those.Out of those Thomas was alone would be slight favorite for me.

Also I forgot Gemini Rue, P&C adventure if you liked Blade runner it's must play, and Lone survivor, 2D horror adventure both are very atmospheric and have good story.

The best story in a VG for me is Silent Hill 2. (You don't need to play any other Silent Hill game to understand the story). PC (hard to find nowadays) PS2/XBX (original release) PS3/XB360 (HD remaster).
Another game (more recent) with a very great story is NIER (PS3/XB360 only).
Both are dark stories with a heavy emotional impact.

I'll echo Silent Hill 2 for story, especially if you enjoy a good scare as well…

For more recent games, I've greatly enjoyed Telltale Game's Walking Dead and especially The Wolf Among Us - though some would argue these are less games than interactive stories. In any case, I've had a lot of fun with Wolf Among Us.

Have you played all the Lucasarts adventure games from the 90s?

Those were the last time the story was enough to drive a game with very little gameplay, for me.

Monkey Island was my favourite game for years. :)

Also, Loom was highly under rated and had me stuck to the screen from start to finish. It wasn't as confusing as monkey island, either.

And The Dig! Full Throttle, DOTT, Sam and Max… Man, maybe I should replay these myself. Good times!

You should really play Day Of The Tentacle (DOTT), too !

There's a slew of point and click adventure games with decent to excellent stories. And with great variety of story genres and themes as well (unlike RPGs that usually are about the unknown, unlikely hero saving the world from a great evil).

I'll attempt to list my favorites:
Syberia (the first one - for me the best story I've seen in a computer game)
Phoenix Wright (I've played the first trilogy - crime/court drama/comedy)
LA Noire (what the title says)
The Walking Dead (well… you know)
Tex Murphy: Martian Memorandum (noir/science fiction/comedy. they are all great games but the -usually completely ignored- second one in the series is by far my favorite story-wise)
The Longest Journey + Dreamfall (fantasy and science fiction - still incomplete though)
The Lost Crown (horror)
Gemini Rue (noir/science fiction)
To the Moon (hmmm… Science fiction-y drama?)
Still Life (mystery/horror - the first one only, it's rough around the edges but I actually like it as it is on its own even though it was incomplete)
Gabriel Knight 2: The Beast Within (horror. The first might have been as good but it's been ages since I played it and I don't remember it. Haven't played the third)
Yesterday (Mystery/Horror. I was very -pleasantly- surprised by that one)
The Last Express (I'll throw this here although, regrettably, I haven't finished it yet - extremely impressed from what I did see though)
Also
Lucas Arts haven't made an adventure game with poor story that I've played. Grim Fandango and Loom are probably my favorites story-wise.

I'm sure I'm forgetting a dozen or two.

Last edited:
Full Throttle
Sadly, they don't make games like that one anymore.
If someone here never played it, make sure you get it somewhere, most probably some old copy is being sold on ebay. Dunno if it can run on win7 though.

Some really great games there! I love DOTT, and Full Throttle, I have played through both of them and enjoyed them a lot. There is so few newer games anyone has recommended, I guess they just don't games with a great story anymore, such as those old classics, at least not on PC.

No, many newer RPGs have good and sometimes great stories and most definetly are all on PC. Just as an example, while not epic, I loved the story from Mars:War Logs.
It'd be easier to number games if you asked which RPG doesn't have a good story. There are just a few of those. On PC. Recent DX:The Fall is an example of a crap story, but it's a port from phones so it's not a surprise.

And some games we're not supposed to add here.
For example I can't recommend ME2 as a game with a good story since you don't want EA games.

Well, the only game with a good story you mentioned so far is DX:HR, FO:NV, so I guess I'll need to check out these two, I am not sure I saw them praised for having a good story, but rather for other things, but it is worth a shot for sure.

EA games... yes no need to bother about those.

Back
Top Bottom