Gaming chair

Thanks for the feedback, but a 1k chair is definitely out of the question.
Does anyone have a recommendation that is under $500 and not Ikea? :)

What did you end up with then?
tl;dr; Turns out the red glyph and I recommended the same chair (from IKEA).

I have a Markus chair, very happy with that.

markus-kontorstol-vissle-mork-gra__0724714_pe734597_s5.jpg

Yes, it's from IKEA, so feel free to ignore it. But this one very comfortable, stable, and solid. The perforated back makes it less sweaty on warm days. In Norway it costs 300 USD.

I have modified it a bit for practical reasons (optimal fit with my modified table):

IMG_20230608_150530.jpg

pibbuR who also modifies things for nerdy reasons.

Last edited:

Right, I forgot to give any reference: Les idées noires.

I didn't know this comic book was known outside of French-speaking countries. :)
I love that book, and the Gaston series in general.
"Franquin's sorte sider" ("Franquin's black pages") in Norwegian.

"Viggo" ("Gaston") and "Sprint" ("Spirou") were quite popular here in Norway.

pibbuR who's still got most of them.

I would agree that gaming chairs are, by and large, a rip-off and also, not to mention, look dorky as hell. :p
And also, its a good idea to check craig's list - you can find good office chairs on the cheap.

I disagree with the general vibe of all gaming chairs being crap.
It's like saying that all Computer games are crap because they are made by cheap china labour for mobile market.
It's actually sad that even bigger outlets like Gamers Nexus don't actually have a fair look around.

Obviously if your are buying a 300€ gaming chair, you are going to get crap. And if you are buying a 300€ Computer, you also get crap. What do you expect?

But there are also good chairs out there, and yes, they are more pricey. Several years ago I bought a DX racer, wasn't a great chair, but it was pretty decent. It's basically the low end of decent chairs. Secret Lab and Noble Chairs are in the Mid Range. From what I heard of Secret Lab they are generally quite decent.
But then their are also High Class chairs. I personally bought a "Game changer" some years ago, which was a terrible mistake. And thats where the issue comes in: You usually have limited option to test features and press is often very biased (on the one end they just say its all crap, and on the other they seem to just run promo, Backforce is another case here, can't judge if they are good, but while they get good press, the feedback I read so far was rather bad). Especially longevity is important and can also not be tested on a day. My chair was fine the first day, and then when the days and weeks went by got worse and worse.

That said, there are other premium chairs. Such as Recaro. They are also doing chairs for Mercedes Benz and Porsche. I am not sure but they might be Europe Only.
There is also lfgaming, but I think they are Americas only. And they go for 1500$+

There are various classes and qualities of everything. You can't just buy 5 gaming chairs of 500$ or less and then say "look they are all worse than this 1500$ Herman Miller Chair. Conclusion: All Gaming Chairs are crap."

PS: I also tested 2 Ikea Gaming/Office Chairs (dont remember their names), but they felt super cheap, and they were lacking features and were the wrong size for me.

Last edited:
I didn't see anyone here say all gaming chairs were crap. I'd say it depends what features are important to you. I think what wolfgrimdark mentioned about gaming chairs vs office chairs makes sense though. Many of them seem to focus on having stylish looks over ergonomic design.

I've looked at quite a few gaming chairs, and nothing ever really jumped out at me. I don't need things like built-in speakers or LED lights on my chair.

I didn't see anyone here say all gaming chairs were crap. I'd say it depends what features are important to you. I think what wolfgrimdark mentioned about gaming chairs vs office chairs makes sense though. Many of them seem to focus on having stylish looks over ergonomic design.

I've looked at quite a few gaming chairs, and nothing ever really jumped out at me. I don't need things like built-in speakers or LED lights on my chair.
But these are gimmicky things almost no gaming chair has, skewing the picture.
I could as well say, that if you dont want to sit in a gaming chair, you really like to feel uncomfortable when sitting infront of your PC ^^

For me, gaming chairs are to office chairs as sneakers are to regular shoes, for people who don't do sport.

You can wear them in the living room, they have great support for the foot, and they are ridiculously fancy, but none of that is necessary. And there's nothing wrong with it. :)

Except that statement would be false. You don't need a gaming chair to be comfortable.
Well, its closer to the truth than speaking of Gaming Chairs with "built in speakers and LEDs". These certainly exists as well, but are absolute freak cases. That's why I also incorrectly generalized.

Well, its closer to the truth than speaking of Gaming Chairs with "built in speakers and LEDs". These certainly exists as well, but are absolute freak cases. That's why I also incorrectly generalized.
I didn't say *all* gaming chairs had those things.

And no, it's not closer to the truth. It's actually much further from it. Are you just looking for a dumb argument today?

No, I am just saying that there is much generalization going on about gaming chairs, and lots of that being quite off. In this thread as well as in general.

"The consensus then was that 5 out of 10 gaming chairs are junk and the remaining 5 are re-branded copies of the others. The vast majority of budget gaming chairs is manufactured by just one company in China, I've read. Then slightly modified, branded and packaged to demand."

"I would agree that gaming chairs are, by and large, a rip-off and also, not to mention, look dorky as hell. "

"I don't need things like built-in speakers or LED lights on my chair."

And by the way, I am not even using a gaming chair at the moment. I am using a Neue Chair, which is an "ergonomic" Chair "Label" or "Branch" by Secret Labs.

If you say so. I just find it odd that those quotes would bother you so much that you're reacting like there's an all-out assault against the gaming chair industry happening here.

Back
Top Bottom