Gedonia

Dajjer

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor
Discovered this gem on Steam. 3rd person open world RPG. Very much like a combo of Might and Magic and Lords of Xulima. Not Soulslike!!!!! Graphics are mediocre but serviceable. The story is old school and the voice acting while not good is not distracting. I love the leveling mechanics, which is far more polished than you would expect from a one/two man studio. One thing they did different is that you have 4-character traits (strength, intelligence, agility and charisma) each with only one point. You get 4 more points to distribute (in addition to the original points) as you like. AND THAT IS IT!!! No more point allocation to points. They do have a potion you can access relatively early in the game to re-distribute your points.

Your distribution will have consequences early on. You need at least 3 points in charisma to have more than 2 companions. You need at least 3 points in strength to wield heavy armor and weapons. You need at least 3 points in intelligence to be a high level mage. You need at least 3 points in agility to be a high level thief. Remember you only get 4 points to distribute. . . . . and thats it. Of course within each trait you have skills and the higher you level up the skill the more specific skills or magic powers you have access to.

One of the interesting design choices they made was that most resources and monsters respawn after 2 hours of playtime. And the low level fauna and flora respawn far, far, far, quicker than that. This is probably a casual like game. But I have to say the game is really fun. In late early game you will discover an area where you can build your own house. The building mechanics are kinda like fallout 4 but once again they do something different. If you build something and dont like it when you scrap it you get your building materials back. No stress building.

Lots of combat, lots of crafting, lots of figuring out puzzles and riddles. looking forward to talking to other players here about the game.

New patch:

I bought this one on a previous sale. Now is as good of a time as any to give this a whirl. I'm still trying to figure out what I want my first build to be. I'm leaning towards an elemental spellcaster.

5 hours in and I'm quite enjoying it. There is indeed jank, but that's to be expected from a one-man indie passion project.

Looks like Gedonia 2 is announced. There's also a roadmap for the first game with content coming out until 2015. I parked this game due to Starfield, but I'll probably pick it up again with the next content update (or after I finish Starfield, because I'll want to take a break before a NG+ playthrough).

I like this game as a sort of, what if WoW and Gothic had a baby game. Though I wish the elemental beam spell would work consistantly. The voice acting is... interesting to say the least. Definitely looking forward to Gedonia 2.

Back
Top Bottom