General News - 20 RPGS releasing in 2016

Nah, no need for such discussion.

I'm on Elel's side here, although a bit different. I wish for every title a sentence or a few about actual game design before reading PR crap like we have dragons, we got sfx from yello, music by bigshot name, 4k graphics, etc.

So before even discussing "dragons", how about first putting an info if the game will contain microtransaction garbage, season pass, publisher's server controlled MMO, etc?

The problem is more the marketing of the game than what category people think it should go in. The Division was marketed as a RPG by Ubisoft itself, until you play the game you can't judge if that's accurate or not.

As an example, stuff like Diablo would be called an "ARPG" I suppose, but then so is Skyrim, and there's probably people who don't like Diablo-like game news but do want Bethesda news.
I don't propose a filtering feature! Just a subgenre category. In that way, we wouldn't have to read about games we don't want to just b\c we didn't know that we don't want them. One glance at subgenre would clarify what kind of game it is. As of now, when I see a title I don't recognize I often have to either do a research on the game to learn what kind of mechanics it has or just pass on the article.

Filtering wouldn't work for sure. But subgenres would. Except that it would be a hassle for people who post articles to add them. :)

I don't propose a filtering feature! Just a subgenre category. In that way, we wouldn't have to read about games we don't want to just b\c we didn't know that we don't want them. One glance at subgenre would clarify what kind of game it is. As of now, when I see a title I don't recognize I often have to either do a research on the game to learn what kind of mechanics it has or just pass on the article.

Filtering wouldn't work for sure. But subgenres would. Except that it would be a hassle for people who post articles to add them. :)

Don't we already have that? We have rpg's broken down to , ARPG, CRPG, SRPG, etc.

You want sub-genres of sub-genres?

Personally I don't see it as a problem. Google is very effective and it takes only a few minutes to see enough about a game to know if I want to find our more about it.

Im a gamer though not just an RPG gamer so following all kinds of games isn't a chore for me.

As for the video and games, it doesn't seem like a bad list. There are several I'm interested in and some I'm not. pretty on par for lists.

Don't we already have that? We have rpg's broken down to , ARPG, CRPG, SRPG, etc.

Elel is asking for articles posted on the Watch having tag(s) with the sub-genre. Which isn't a bad idea really.

Then again, it doesn't exactly take hours to go through the news. It's not as if there are hundreds of articles per day.

I agree with Elel. I admit, it would be more complicated in practice than on paper, but some form of short-hand for games would be useful. This site doesn't report on hundreds of the low budget RPG releases, because, well, that would be tedious, hearing about every new daily flash-like game, so there's already some form of filtering, even if it's just the subconscious minds of the news hunters. To echo and combine with cRPGnut's post, a good start would simply be an 'other' or 'vague association' tag for non/not really but kinda-rpg related whatnots that just spark the interest of newsposters for whatever reason.

We have this filter already:

Attachments

• WatchFilter.jpg
    WatchFilter.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 31
In addition to that you can hide every game, you don't want to see:

Attachments

• WatchFilter2.jpg
    WatchFilter2.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 31
Don't take it personally HiddenX, you all do a great job, but it's fairly obvious that you wont be hiding something until you've read it to know you want to hide it ;)

It's easy to use:
  • You read about a game that you don't like for the 1st time.
  • You hide the game from the news.
  • You'll never read news from this game again, until you change the filter settings again.

I had no interest in Dragon's Dogma, but if I'd hid all DD news I'd be completely out of touch with many people on the site...

ie: sometimes people will enjoy/need to read stuff that gets lots of attention, even if the subject matter doesn't interest them, in order to enable constructive conversations in the future on other threads.

You're offering a black and white solution instead of a nuanced solution.

No filter necessary for me, since the entire News section here is a list of games I'm not at all interested in! :p

Half-joking, of course. Once in a blue moon I see something I'm interested in. There's a few on that list of 20 in the video that are intriguing. I've kind of been on a mobile kick exploring games that I missed on PSP and DS. Lots of great RPGs to be found there as well that are a bit more my style. :)

No filter necessary for me, since the entire News section here is a list of games I'm not at all interested in! :p

Half-joking, of course. Once in a blue moon I see something I'm interested in. There's a few on that list of 20 in the video that are intriguing. I've kind of been on a mobile kick exploring games that I missed on PSP and DS. Lots of great RPGs to be found there as well that are a bit more my style. :)

Joxer, here's one for you blacklist...

Perhaps... But I'm not James Spader.

joxer Would never blacklist me, are you kidding? I'm his favorite poster! Especially after getting him hooked on The Last Remnant. :)

Oh, and I play RPGs on my Nvidia Shield tablet all the time! I know he secretly wishes he had one. :)

Back
Top Bottom