GOG Becomes More Awesome

skavenhorde

Little BRO Rat
Not sure if I should post this as a newsbit or not, but three of my favorite games of all time have been released on GoG. They now have Dungeon Keeper, Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri and Crusader: No Remorse.

All three of those are a pain-in-the-behind to get playable on today's machines so they are definitely worth the 6 bucks just to get them working.

This is my favorite Crusader because there was a trader in the game that you could buy things from. They got rid of him in the sequel which annoyed me to no end. As for the other two do I really need to tell you why they are classics? ;)

GOG is the ONLY reason I might actually try out Paypal one day ...

The latest news is that theyre releasing more on Thursday :)

Yep, I posted about that in the Pricewatch thread.. there's a batch of yet to be named EA classics coming out tomorrow. I've got my fingers crossed for some titles I'd like to see on GOG. American Mcgee's Alice would be nice.. :fingerscrossed:

Last edited:
There are plenty of EA games that I would love to see there, so that the entire world will be able to experience them. Games like Syndicate, Magic carpet 2, Ultima (all of them!), command & conquer, Crusader: No regret, Theme Hospital, System shock 1-2, Dark omen, Space hulk 1-2... and the list does of course go on. Of course it is unlikely that we will see any GW-related games on GOG, GW loves to protect its IPs from any and all outside sources (apart from THQ, and the next sucker who creates a WHFB game that ends up selling poorly).

Games like Syndicate, Magic carpet 2, Ultima (all of them!), command & conquer, Crusader: No regret, Theme Hospital, System shock 1-2, Dark omen, Space hulk 1-2… and the list does of course go on.

The System Shock games would be my #1 choice by far, but unfortunately EA doesn't have the rights to those games.

I thought EA held the rights to system shock, and that this was the reason why some of the old Looking glass people made BioShock instead of System shock 3.

*edit*
But a quick wikipedia search later:
Spector organized a licensing deal between Electronic Arts and Looking Glass that gave the former the trademark to the game, but the latter the copyright. His goal was to ensure that neither party could continue the franchise without the other's involvement
source

I'm quite thankful Levine and crew had to do their own thing. Having them mess up System Shock would make me sad.

Dungeon Keeper 2 + Wing Commaner 1 and 2 released. Much more to come it seems. I'll definitely pay attention to upcoming releases.

meh..

What is the deal with not including the expansion packs?!?

Looks like the version won't include the speech pack for Wing Commander 2, judging by the file size. So no speech pack and no expansions, what a bummer.

And dungeon keeper 2? While not a bad game, I always found it to be a bit lackluster, in particular compared to Dungeon keeper 1. It lacked a lot of the charm that made previous Bullfrog games so, well, charming.

That being said, Wing Commander 1-2 are still well worth the price, and DK2 is not a bad game.

unfortunately, the comments section seems to have the opinion that DK2 is broken on 7, so beware before getting it. I stopped trying to make it work on 7 a long time ago, and just play it on my XP box I keep around for old troublesome games

Apparently there are still six more EA "old-school" classics to be released on GOG soon. Anyone have any speculation on what these might be?

My guess is there will be some Ultima(s) in there somewhere (continuing with the Origin theme).

If they do release Ultima, I hope they release the entire Ultima collection (interviews and all).

*edit* Come to think of it, I really hope they release Legend of Kyranida 1-3. I want to play those games, but they are expensive to buy used.

They should release the FM Towns Ultima 6.

Then they should release FM Towns LucasArts games, too ...

Meh.. I'm underwhelmed so far.

My guess is there will be some Ultima(s) in there somewhere (continuing with the Origin theme).

With only six games left to reveal, I'm not sure if we'll be seeing any Ultima titles yet. Although there's always the chance one of them might be some kind of bundle.

unfortunately, the comments section seems to have the opinion that DK2 is broken on 7, so beware before getting it. I stopped trying to make it work on 7 a long time ago, and just play it on my XP box I keep around for old troublesome games

Thanks for the heads up, Sam. I'd been considering it for much of the evening. Despite having DK2 on CD from years back, I know all -too-well the issues it has with Win7. A shame they exist with the GoG version still.

With only six games left to reveal, I'm not sure if we'll be seeing any Ultima titles yet. Although there's always the chance one of them might be some kind of bundle.
A bundle would make the most sense, so hopefully that's what they'd do. They could basically do a GOG version of the Ultima Collection which has all the old games (1-8 + Akalabeth).

Back
Top Bottom