GOG - Dungeons & Dragons Sale

I'm definitely finding it a bit more difficult, but I don't have a magic user yet (off to get Dynaheir) and BG was always tough for me without a magic user early on.

As for polish, I'm only in chapter 2, but so far its pretty solid. They ahve a second patch out that fixed a bunch of the lingering bugs from what I read.

There are a few things different than the original:

1) Yes you can craft items, but so far I have not found anything to craft with but molds. Don't really care as I'm not that big into crafting, so unless I have trouble arming my party it won't bother me (I never did crafting in NWN2)

2) I wouldn't doubt that some areas seem unwinnable given that I've found it harder already, but I can't testify to that yet

3) The areas are much smaller than they were in the orginal. All the same stuff is there (mostly, I couldn't find that ring in the rock in front of Friendly Arm inn, but maybe its somewhere else), but the area size feels a lot smaller. I'm actually ok with this as I generally like to explore every nook and crany and on my BGEE play through I found myself getting quite bored as it was about the 100th time I'd seen each area.

4) Its been a while since I played NWN2, so I'm having some issue with the AI. I may have to go full on puppet mode (I think that is how I played it before). I had a horrible time with the bear on the bridge near the Gnoll Fortress. I wanted to launch of few volleys of arrows at him while he crosses the bridge, but anyone without a range weapon kept attacking. I had to keep clicking away from the bridge to get them to come back and Minsc still seemed to ignore that some. I remember having similar difficulties when I first started with NWN2 though, so I think I'll figure it out.

One other thing, I'll admit it, I'm a cheater! :) I always wanted to play the IE games with 8 characters. Probably a hold over from my Ultima days. The party size command in the console doesn't work anymore (at least not in the mod, but it doesn't work in SoZ either I think). There is a specific file though in the mod that determines max party size. I opened up the script file, changed it to 8, then recompiled it and now I can have eight characters! I figure that will help out with the difficulty too.

Sounds lovely :) Except for the party AI, it is moronic and puppet mode is probably the way to go.
And thanks for the quick reply, I do believe I'll move this closer to the top of my list now. Though I would miss heading into BG2.

Like I said, at one point I had the combat down pretty good in NWN2, so its just a matter of not being familiar with it like I was. I'm sure I'll figure it out.

It really just is cool seeing the Sword Coast in 3D. I'm definitely more of an Isometric fan in general, but I appreciate well done 3D worlds.

There were some people at one point trying to do a BG2 mod for NWN2, but I don't think they got very far. There's a DA mod that takes you through Irenicus's dungeon, but that's it.

I have BG2EE waiting for me when I'm done with BGR, so I'm happy either way.

Back
Top Bottom