GOG - Renewed

I don't see the point of offering movies when it is stuff based on obscure underground Internet culture.

However movie about indie games is quite popular and good. Anyway not many people would happy if gog would start selling Hollywood crap.

oh well, you never quite know with these guys. First they quit focusing on old games, now they remove some other games and start selling movies. I don't care very much as long as I can still access all the games I've bought and can continue to do so indefinitely.

Not sure why GoG never got SF2: Faith in Destiny, they got Demons of the Past that came after that. It might be because FiD had some DLC scenarios and they couldn't work out a deal to include them? I actually liked the scenarios, you got to play as some of the other characters in the Spellforce world.

I always thought regional pricing would be a good thing, and never suspected it would cause a publisher to drop their offerings. I never thought it fair - $1 does not equal $1 Australian does not equal 1 Euro, so some would end up paying more than others. I am guessing that GoG may take a 30% cut of the sale - I have heard that figure thrown around regarding other resellers, and there was too thin a margin to make it worthwhile when the publisher had to start offering it at the local rate. I hope at some point that they come to an agreement and that these titles return. Gothic 2 would be in my top 10 list of favorite games.

As far as movies, so far I think the titles so far are not really something I would be interested in purchasing. I seriously doubt if they will ever get any of the big Hollywood companies to release DRM free movies, for a long time, if ever.

I got all the Spellforce games except Demons of the past during a steam Sale so I want to pick that up also to complete the collection. Other then that, I don't see any other games I'm really interested except for Silver. Can anyone recommend it? Its only 1.49.

redman5427, for $1.49 I would say Silver is worth it. I played it years ago, but it was very hard to get it working on XP, much less Windows 7 from the original CD, so I picked it up just to get a version that will work right on install. It would hang at the menu on my original version. The problem was that you needed a patch - modern video cards are too fast, and the patch wasn't the easiest to find.
I finally found the solution by posting on the DOSBox board VOGONS.
http://www.vogons.org/viewtopic.php?t=9859

As far as the game goes, it's fun. I never did finish it, one of those I was going to get back to at some point and never did. The one thing that annoyed me at the time was it is one of those games you have to reach a checkpoint to save. It's an action RPG, the graphics reminding me of a JRPG/Anime style.

Don't forget Freedom Force vs. the 3rd Reich, guys. It had Starforce on the disc when it came out.

I loved those 2 Freedom Force games, always wondered if anybody would get the rights and do a sequel, or just make a game like those without the license, just the copy the gameplay.

Its Seem like most of these games being taken off are from Nordic Games which bought a lot of the rights from JoWood and holds the publishing rights to including the Gothic series. I'm guessing Nordic Games is the one wanting these games off GoG more than GoG doesn't want to continue to sell them.

The issue with the removed games was a pricing issues, one of GOG's staff explained here: http://www.gog.com/forum/general/last_chance_special/post226

Thanks for posting this. Interesting as even with more information people seem split on who to blame. I also saw someone post this link http://www.gogwiki.com/wiki/List_of_games_removed_from_GOGwith all the games that have been removed from Gog. This year wins easily due to the inability to agree on pricing.

If they can actually convince major studios to do DRM free releases, they'd get a ton of business from me. I'm pretty much done with physical media at this point, having ripped our entire 400+ DVD/HD-DVD/Blu-Ray collection. I've looked at buying digital versions of things, but they are always restricted to certain devices and crap like that.

snapping up like 6 games for 11 bucks always is a good thing, thanks for the head's up. Need to have those Gothic games ready to go at a moment's notice

Ok, so they have to remove the games to implement the regional pricing scheme (because obviously 1$=1£=1€ is bollocks). But how is that any better than everyone simply paying flat dollar price (which is recalculated into your regional currency), that they have now? What am I missing?

Ok, so they have to remove the games to implement the regional pricing scheme (because obviously 1$=1£=1€ is bollocks). But how is that any better than everyone simply paying flat dollar price (which is recalculated into your regional currency), that they have now? What am I missing?

This is the thing I don't understand. As far as I am aware, currently I am paying *regional* pricing.

There is nothing complicated, really.

Some publishers insist on changing only the currency symbol, not the number. So if you want to buy a game that if in NA you'd pay $60, online stores have to charge you £60 since you're in UK (or 60€ if not in UK but in rest of EU).

Other publishers are not ignorant and respect customers - they know perfectly well that one dollar is not the same as one pound sterling nor is the same as one euro. Those publishers adjust the number/price regarding the currency.

Some publishers go even further and offer games on lower prices in, let's be politically correct, not that rich parts of the world.

GOG tries to respect customers by adjusting the price so in the end it shouldn't matter where you live and what currency you use - you'd always pay the same price as everyone else. But for whatever reason, some publishers don't want to accept it.

There is nothing complicated, really.

Some publishers insist on changing only the currency symbol, not the number. So if you want to buy a game that if in NA you'd pay $60, online stores have to charge you £60 since you're in UK (or 60€ if not in UK but in rest of EU).

You mean, like CR Project did with Witcher? :> Oh, they offer you store credit or something, but it's still regional pricing at it's best.

But most of their catalogue - including the titles now being removed, had flat prices. So I don't see a benefit here. And I fail to see how introducing regional prices to all games will somehow make publishers to suddenly reverse their pricing politics.

You mean, like CR Project did with Witcher? :> Oh, they offer you store credit or something, but it's still regional pricing at it's best.

But most of their catalogue - including the titles now being removed, had flat prices. So I don't see a benefit here. And I fail to see how introducing regional prices to all games will somehow make publishers to suddenly reverse their pricing politics.

Atari has publishing rights for the first two Witcher games. CD Projekt can't simply make decisions about these games alone.

As I understand it CD Projekt wants 1 price everywhere in the world, but in different currencies.

A difference between "everybody pays in dollar" and "many currencies" is that people save the costs for the currency conversion.

Currency conversion fees from banks is one of the most blatant ripoffs in the industry. Really? You deserve a fee to download the latest exchange rates and have your computer do a multiplication?

Currency conversion fees from banks is one of the most blatant ripoffs in the industry. Really? You deserve a fee to download the latest exchange rates and have your computer do a multiplication?

Yup. It made sense when you were doing it manually, but in today's world, its just a rip off.

Back
Top Bottom