Gothic 3 - CP 1.74 Announced

Ergonpandilus, you're using Win7, right? So, G3 works without problems with Win7, or did you have to "wrangle" with it to get it running?

Yep, Win7 32-bit.

Only "wrangle" that I did, was to I increased drawing distances and put some new textures to it. But I guess it also depends if you are using ATI or nVidia VGA, but actually ATI had more problems, with the shadows on certain drivers.

But I can shoot a video with vanilla settings at some point.

And if you were using CP 1.6X, then you should know that CP 1.70 (and forward) increased FPS by approximately +25%! I clearly noticed the performance change on my computer at the time.

After the previous patch I posted a thread in our Gothic 3 forum on what I did to get it playing pretty smooth on my box. Anyone having problems could look there, it might help you too.

I enjoyed Gothic 3, the world does look nice if you can get it running correctly and I didn't encounter any bugs in my last playthrough.

Though the Xardis ending still cracks me up, I had to follow him for about 30 minutes across half the world and then he just disappears and it took me another 5 minutes to figure out I had to click the rock in front of me and then the game ended. I thought he was leading me to a secret portal, not a clickable rock. :)

Haven't got a copy of Risen yet, as soon as Steam has it for sale again (IF Steam ever has it for sale again) I'll buy it.

The game finally looks and runs great,still some hick ups here and there but I don't have to wait 5 minutes for every reload,installing it on an SSD helps.The patches have improved the visuals tremendously and it looks great even 4 years after its release.Small details like grass reaction certainly make it more "Gothic".
I might actually continue my 1.70 save if I manage to understand who should I kill in order to side with Xardas.Unfortunately no *patch* can fix its incoherent story.

I completed G3 with official patch only twice. Never had any lag or crash issues (I crashed twice without official patch but that's it).

But then again, most people complaining about these issues are those who most likely cannot tweak their PC to perform better without loading useless background services and apps (for starters).

Gothic 3 is also better than Risen, esp. in how huge the world is, the variation in design and how the inhabitants (the Orcs and humans) are ten times more interesting than anything I found in Risen or Oblivion. Risen was a optimised G3 with many features from the G3 world cut (mostly thanks to the crappy island setting) and visually a step up, though G3 already looks way more bautiful than any other RPG out there at the moment (esp. Oblivion).

I completed G3 with official patch only twice. Never had any lag or crash issues (I crashed twice without official patch but that's it).

But then again, most people complaining about these issues are those who most likely cannot tweak their PC to perform better without loading useless background services and apps (for starters).

Well, the original game without Community Patch had several hundreds of bugs, but there is some truth in saying that lot of players tried to play the game with low-end PCs. The game was/is performance hungry, but it's understandable if you look the graphics and the world.

Gothic 3 is also better than Risen, esp. in how huge the world is, the variation in design and how the inhabitants (the Orcs and humans) are ten times more interesting than anything I found in Risen or Oblivion. Risen was a optimised G3 with many features from the G3 world cut (mostly thanks to the crappy island setting) and visually a step up, though G3 already looks way more bautiful than any other RPG out there at the moment (esp. Oblivion).
[/QUOTE]

I also like G3 better than Risen. Risen didn't deliver anything new, it was copy-paste of G2. I was expecting something new. And the worldmap in Risen is even smaller than in G1 I believe. And Risen had some very bad textures, because of console limitations!

Imo, Gothic 3 is the most beautiful RPG and with the most authentic world. The story is a weak link though.

Well that's definitely subjective. I liked both games, but I probably liked Risen a little more. It took more than 3 years, and nearly a Dozen patches, just to get Gothic 3 to where it should have been to begin with.

Gothic 3 has the larger world and nicer environments, but Risen actually had decent dungeons, which G3 was sorely lacking. The combat in Risen is also far superior without question.

Two words: LIZARD MEN!

… WHY?? WHY PIRANHA BYTES?.. How do you go from "orcs done right the first time ever" to bloody "lizard men ruled the earth.. also, they took power from the crab people"?

I didn't mind the Lizardmen in Risen, but I hated how they all carried the same sword. It was especially puzzling since the Lizardmen in Gothic 2 had a variety of weapons.

Screw the weapons dude, LIZARDS RULING THE EARTH??

That would feel somewhat realistic if the biggest lizards on our planet in real life didn't just ended up extinct thanks to a asteroid (or ice-age.. whatever).

At least with Orcs it felt like the game had a universe of its own. Felt just realistic and natural to the world of Gothic. In Risen however, after the opening moments of creepy looking ruins rising from the ground I wasn't expecting to run into a giant fraking MOTHZILLA and then to make it worse, LIZARDS!!

Lame.

Anyways, that doesn't mean I hated Risen. I enjoyed it, but I still consider it to be the younger (but bug-free and better looking) brother of Gothic 3. At least it was better than what ArcaniA is turning out to be..

Still haven't played G3... might try it on my new rig, it might be able to do it justice. Back on my old comp it was unplayable.

Do I need to apply an official patch before this community patch?

Do I need to apply an official patch before this community patch?
No,cp 1.74 contains all previous patches. So you need only this patch to update Gothic 3.

According to the changelog 1.12 files have been included since CP1.6

Risen had its strong points, but variety was certainly not one of them. If Nordmar's fog didn't annoy me so much and if the combat wasn't so easily exploited I'd vote for G3 too. Risen aka Wack-a-lizard is still the better game.

Choosing between Gothic 3 and Risen is a little bit like choosing between pest and cholera. As much as I wanted to like both of them, they both have their shortcomings which always ruin it for me. Repetitiveness and ugly women are two negative points they share.
Sure, Gothic 3 and Risen also had very nice moments, where I just thought: "wow". I liked them especially in the beginning. But somehow, Piranha Bytes just doesn't know any more how to use their vast worlds to not only fill them with life for exploring and such, but also fill them with interesting quests and stories. That's why their endings just suck. The story-writers didn't think these games through more than once.

"lizard men ruled the earth.. also, they took power from the crab people"?

They could very much have borrowed them from TDE.

In TDE, there are several "ages", some of the older ones clearly forgotten in-game, in which dofferent races "ruled the world", the continent of Aventuria, that i. In this case.

The oldest [ruling races] are rumored to have been insectoids, and later lizards, actully, with the evil dragon of Pyrdakor, who proclaimed himseldf a "god", installing his very own "ruling race" of lizardmen.

Among the other, older "ruling races" were the trolls in Aventuria, nd the Elves.

Of Lizardpeople there is still quite good knowlege (as far as I know) within the continent of Mranor. The are said to have been rather … I call them "sauroids", called the Jharra.

So, to the pen & paper players with better knowledge of TDE and of Aventuria, this doesn't sound that odd as it might sound to you.

And about "crab people" … In TDE there actually *is* a race of "crab people" … the so-called "Hummerians" (don't quite know how to correctly translate this name … the "hummer" is the German word for the lobster : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homarus )

And ... by the way ... we have quite a lot of RPG and fantasy settings containing lizardpeople ... only that in most of them they just have never been a "ruling race" or have been degraded into obscurity. They appear for example in Age Of Wonders, Divinity 1 ...

I know we have quite a lot of fantasy settings with lizard people in them. That's why it was ridiculous (for me), the other fantasy settings weren't exactly mind-blowing experiences either (for me).

As far as complaints about female models. I agree they are bad but I have come to associate this "style" with Piranha Bytes and you know what? Oblivion with face-gen characters was still generic console shit in comparison to G3 and Risen (combined they are better than anything BioWare has produced gameplay-wise).

Also, considering that PB artists can create a strong realistic fictional universe (I mean, look at the houses and how real they feel compared to pretty clean models of Oblivion), I believe they keep the quality of female models (since the only role they play is either than being damsels or housewives.. excluding one character in Risen) low intentionally and focus on increasing poly count in the breasts area.

This is the focus of the average male gamer anyway (proof: quantity of body/skin mods for females in Oblivion/Bloodlines). :p

Also, click-me.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom