Gothic 3 - Final Community Patch Released!

Is there any reason why my native resolution of 1370x768 isn't supported by Gothic 3 1.7!? God, I get so sick of this. Do I have to replay this with a stretched out 4:3 view?

Has anyone tried staff weapons yet? Have they been improved at all?

/me raises hand

Working on a mage build; I just got started with the staff -- 50 AK, Staff Fighting, quarterstaff.

It's about as useless, or useful, as the sword you start out with. A bit more range, but a bit slower.

However, I've seen some pretty promising staves with some merchants -- I'm looking forward to trying the blade staff, which has 75 blade damage, 15 blade protection, and requires AK 100, STR 120, and Staff Fighting 2 to use.

I'll be going for a classic fighter build then, mainly using 2H weps or 1H + shield. Looking forward to it. I usually make mages in G3, since I've always felt magic was the most fun combat type in the game, but it seems this patch makes melee fun as well.

I've been using 2-h weapons and it seems that halberd and twohander have almost equal range. Atleast I felt twohander much better because higher damage in new combat system.

Sounds nice. Gonna go for twohanders with my new build then. Only thing that annoys me is that axes and halberds have much more dmg and that the fighting animation where you use one hand on the blade and one on the hilt instead of two on the hilt.

Btw any good places to find a decent 2hander?

/me raises hand

Working on a mage build; I just got started with the staff -- 50 AK, Staff Fighting, quarterstaff.

It's about as useless, or useful, as the sword you start out with. A bit more range, but a bit slower.

However, I've seen some pretty promising staves with some merchants -- I'm looking forward to trying the blade staff, which has 75 blade damage, 15 blade protection, and requires AK 100, STR 120, and Staff Fighting 2 to use.

Thanks PJ, I'll add some points in it then. I was at the crossroads of whether to start putting points in swords or go full mage with staff. If they didn't improve the reach or improve the type of staffs available then I was going to pass and be the usual hybrid fighter/mage with swords and spells. I guess this time I can actually go full mage.

Last edited:
Not true.

I liberated it my 1st time through the game as soon as I had completed everything necessary to see the orc leader.

What I did was enter, talk, then went for it. Take the leader down and use the doorway as a bottleneck point. Save often and reload when needed.

However, not doing it like that would probably be quite hard if not impossible early on.

yes, hang back in that building and fight them as they show up... don't go charging into battle...heal after when there is a lull.

yes, hang back in that building and fight them as they show up... don't go charging into battle...heal after when there is a lull.

It is one of the fastest ways. Might be able to pick 'em off from the rooftop too or just lore 'em out 1 by 1. Most probably know all these tricks.

I always thought it was really weak that the allied npc's couldn't really do much while liberating. They're taken down way too fast.

It would have been cool if a large group showed up in town and started helping something like the way it looked at the beginning of the game.

How about re-reviewing Gothic 3 with CP1.70?

Why? It is a community patch.

Why....?

Because it plays like a different game, of course its the same storyline but the polishing and tidying up of quest dialogue lines makes replaying essential for any gamer that ran it previously. The most satisfying upgraded element beyond doubt is the combat, you have to really fight or else you are dog meat. This will sort the men from the fan-boys.

Real men have already finished Gothic 3 and refer to it as the "old days".

I finished the entire game while it still chunked savegames all the time. That was a glorious battle indeed.

...you have to really fight or else you are dog meat. This will sort the men from the fan-boys.
Why I'm not surprise to read that from a blind G3 fan? I wonder. It's even more idiot that the original G3 fights are tougher.

Why I'm not surprise to read that from a blind G3 fan? I wonder. It's even more idiot that the original G3 fights are tougher.

The word you are looking for is idiotic. You think they were tougher in G3? Ok that's how you think. You are wrong, but hey why let silly facts get in the way of your thoughts.

Edit - Are you talking about how they changed it so that the wolves could not autolock on you and kill you instantly? That was hard but seriously lame. Fights with orcs, humans and skeletons have been beefed up considerably. Try killing them by just swinging away like you could before the patch and you will get your butt handed to you. I am not even going to go into how hard those little green goblins are as opposed to how they were. Those suckers will almost always get in the first hit unless you are careful.

Last edited:
The goblins quote is a typical fan reaction, your description is attributed to 1.7 when you could use it for previous versions.

The same goes for clicking feast, it wasn't a fully safe tactic but highly efficient anyway. With 1.7 I killed almost all orcs in first town just by clicking like crazy without to aim nothing.

There's perhaps multiple 1.7 versions alas I had no luck here and didn't get the right update.

The goblins quote is a typical fan reaction, your description is attributed to 1.7 when you could use it for previous versions.

Are you serious? Who cares if it is a "typical fan reactions" (whatever that means). It happens to be true.

I'm sorta lost as to what your bitching about. Are you bitching about how, you think, the fights are not any harder than the 1.6 patch or the original patch before the community patch? In either case you are wrong, but it's a free internet so you're entitled to your wrong opinion. ;)

I seriously think you got the wrong patch because I've tried the click fest and was put down so fast it would make your head spin. Did you click on the optional balancing and combat AI? If not try it, it does make it better. One last thing that could be wrong, did you click on the easy difficulty? On easy only one opponent will attack you just like before, medium two at a time and hard three at a time. I know you probably didn't choose the easy setting, but the way you are talking it sure does sound like you did.

Before 1.7 Goblins was already tough and quite difficult to avoid them it first. I wonder how you could have feel it different. It's not the first time I see a behavior attributed to 1.7 when the description fit perfectly previous behavior.

I disabled AB because it's just a full set of gameplay change I don't like, but if 1.7 description is right this shouldn't change fights when new IA is activated.

The difficulty was medium and that's right there's this change, well against animals, all, not only wolves, it's so much more easy that it's still more easy at medium difficulty and against two at same time.

Against other, perhaps not all but too many, try the click feast, you clearly didn't and it's still a huge design hole, with the new weird companion behavior wich is the second anti gameplay change (but typical fan change).

I'm with Skavenhorde with the "don't understand your complaints". If you feel the community patch isn't an improvement, then don't use it. If you feel Gothic 3 is a bad game even with the patch, then don't play it.

Back
Top Bottom