Greek gov't bonds downgraded to junk status, Eurozone in trouble

Prime Junta , i very much understand the rioters , you know tear gas ,stun grenades and police sticks do not have targets, inside 2008 i breathed enough tear gas for 3 generations of rioters without even participating in any protest ; some people are just getting mad when this happens and it is human , just give it a thought .

"Road level politics" are a lost case anyway , slogans and stones (as well as shot guns) are never the means of change (but they can justify conservatism) , social evolution can not go forward with kicks and we can only influence it a little bit if we have something new to propose and if our means can be easily understood by all the social elements .

As i said i can understand people losing it and go violent but i am not saying that i consider this way as a mean to achieve anything .

It's kind of ironic that you profess a principled rejection of violence, yet you've demonstrated more than just "understanding" of the rioters, both now and in the past... and I don't profess a principled rejection of violence, yet I have no sympathy for them at all in these circumstances.

There are systems that are so inhuman and oppressive that direct action outside and against the system, including violence, is the only alternative to knuckling down and effectively upholding them. In these contexts, I cannot condemn such action.

However, other systems do include the mechanisms for self-reform. They may not be hugely effective, to start with anyway, which means that any reform project will be slow, and require years of patient, dedicated, slow work. Whenever such mechanisms exist, I do not approve of direct action outside the system -- especially not violence.

Greece has a democratic system. You have real elections, where real ballots are cast and counted. It may be a corrupt and dysfunctional one, but it's not so broken that you have to burn it down. I condemn you because you choose to spit on that system and throw a tantrum outside because the pace of change it's capable of isn't to your liking.

If, instead, you put all that energy to find people you can trust and work to elect them -- starting with the micro level, school boards, municipal councils, and so on --, you would be working to reform it. You can't do it alone, for sure, but you're not alone.

That, Tragos, is why I don't have much respect for your politics. You've decided to fight to smash the system. Now the system is falling apart. If you get hit by a few of its bricks on the way, well, that's karma for ya.

Greece has a democratic system. You have real elections, where real ballots are cast and counted. It may be a corrupt and dysfunctional one, but it's not so broken that you have to burn it down. I condemn you because you choose to spit on that system and throw a tantrum outside because the pace of change it's capable of isn't to your liking.
Nah... it's perfectly functional.
If a democratic government is one that represents the people then Greece has a most fitting one. It's as simple as that... every single Greek I've ever known is corrupt up to a point - everyone will steal anything they can get away with, out of principle... every single one - including the most honorable people I've met and including me.

Thankfully democracy works, and I'm a big fan of democracy personally - which naturally means that since my fellow country people wish to be governed by thieves so that they can steal without repercussions and have an excuse for playing the victim when the time comes to pay back, I can not but happily accept it as an unfortunate but necessary side-effect of our wonderful system.

It's absolutely disgusting.

Well, that was refreshing.

Makes me feel real good about that bailout, too.

Came across an opinion-rumor-whatever for a new approach to solving the crisis: split the euro. We'd have a North Euro and a South Euro. The PIIGS would be kicked into the South Euro and the rest would stay in the North one. The exchange rate between the two would be decoupled, allowing the South Euro to devalue. The idea is that once the adjustment is complete, the two euros would be re-merged.

This sounds like it could be a workable solution. If their national debt was also kicked into the South Euro, the banks who own it would be effectively taking a haircut on it as well, as the currency falls, which would mean they won't get off scot-free; that would be an additional advantage. Yet it's not quite as unstable as breaking up into national currencies altogether.

A two-tier EMU might actually work as a permanent structure, too, and would be more in tune with the real economic structures around here. I kinda like this, as an academic exercise anyway.

10.000 people rioting ? have you ever be in a protest? the rioters were no more than 500 scattered here and there , those who put the bank ablaze were 3 .
Nope, never felt the need to put myself in a situation where nothing good will come and plenty of bad is just itching to break out. Kinda like in other threads where I've used the phrase, "asking for trouble". If I've got a beef with my government, I protest at the ballot box. That's how the system is supposed to work and it accomplishes the enviable goals of keeping me from getting kissed with a nightstick and nobody getting killed.
It isn't about charging , it is about police being able to do pre-emptive strikes here and there and working class (not only in Greece) to be divided.
Authorities have a long tradition of presenting social groups as animals and judging from your post they are successful .
You're right. Somehow I missed the part where dignified and evolved folks burn down banks. You've shown no remorse over that and instead have gone to great lengths to justify it while shifting the blame. I suppose that's not animal behavior though, since animals aren't really that devious.
So far in this thread i have been called tax evader , thief , liar, corrupt and now i am called a murderer , next thing will be having to prove is that i am not an elephant…?
So very just living under the poverty limit and be spanked around for everything be my fault , i don't know if i have to laugh or to cry .
I have called you none of those things. I will say that you personally are guilty of excusing the murder of 3 innocents in your posts here, but none of those other labels have been tossed your way by me. Nor would I do so. Really, we're all guilty of that sort of thing anyway (for example, I don't apologize for Iraq and Afghanistan), but usually there's a level of remorse that goes with it. Ain't seen a hint of that from you in this situation so far.

Tragos is right here. There are so many blank spots about yesterdays riots that need more searching. Believe it or not Dteowner, it can happen. It has happened quite a lot around the world.
Even if we put our tinfoil hat on, what's the need for police to burn down a bank in this situation? If they want an excuse for beating on poor innocent protestors or making them look bad, there will be a million such excuses in any protest. There's enough people throwing rocks at the police to satisfy any perverse need for brutality or even some need for good guy versus bad guy propaganda. If I'm Officer Sadist, I've got no need to burn down a bank. I can grab the first punk that tosses a stone and beat him to pulp just for fun, or carve out some pack that's chanting too loud and fire a tear gas cannister or two. No need to risk some punk with a cameraphone recording me tossing the molotov cocktail. It just doesn't make sense for a cop to take that risk when there's a million safer opportunities to indulge his gestapo fantasies (all this based on the assumption that the cops have no goals beyond mayhem and violence, which seems pretty shaky from the outset).

I do not understand why this anger towards the Greeks.

From the start nobody wanted to help Greece, it's not about Greece, it never was, the idea was/is: save the euro. We all pay not to save the Greeks but to prevent the euro going down.
Alas, it's not going to work; the financial markets are not buying the bigwigs blahblah.

I thought and still think the € 110 billion won't make any difference, they're just postponing the inevitable.

About the kicking. You can't kick a country out of the EU, the only option is a voluntary exit. But Greece, or any other country, will not leave, for a. a new currency costs a lot and b their debts are in euros and would rise as soon as they'd devalue their new currency.
If the national debt is kicked into the new currency, what's the difference with a default? (Which will have an effect on France, Germany, Britain, Portugal, Ireland, etc.)

I though some more about it… and the euro zone doesn't really need Greece? and they are a net cash in of EU money too? so how exactly does it benefit EU to have Greece as a member?

The EU has been a (disastrous) political project, focussing on political criteria not monetary criteria.

I feel sorry for the Greeks, things will get really nasty in their country soon. But it'll get nasty elsewhere too, that's no consolation, that's a tragedy.
(My advise: buy gold while you still can.)

BTW In the Netherlands the Greeks are not portrayed as bad, and the media are stressing that there are less people demonstrating now than a while back.
Me too, I do not like this kind of you vs we discussions; it's easy to judge when you're watching at the sideline, the sideline for now, because I think most European countries will get their own demonstrations soon - nobody likes spending cuts, higher taxes and poverty increasing.

But Greece, or any other country, will not leave, for a. a new currency costs a lot and b their debts are in euros and would rise as soon as they'd devalue their new currency.

What if they default first? No more euro-denominated debt to keep them in.

(BTW, it feels very odd to be on the same side of a debate with dte. I feel I must have gotten something fundamental completely wrong, here.)

You've defended these riots and riots in the past. You've defended violent actions and property damage on behalf of rioters now and in the past.

Yet you are surprised we are critical of you and your beliefs?

Not really because i didn't expect anything better from you , you are all eager to jump into aphorisms about things and situations you dont know shit about and try to struggle any different voice .
Your perception and my perception are different , i have sat down and listen the logic of different groups , their dreams and their principles , i may not approve their ways but i will not torch them because they are not like me.

It's kind of ironic that you profess a principled rejection of violence, yet you've demonstrated more than just "understanding" of the rioters, both now and in the past… and I don't profess a principled rejection of violence, yet I have no sympathy for them at all in these circumstances.

They are fellow working class people products of my society , either if we talk about anarchists or nazis even if they are 100% unreasonable and wrong i will not turn against them on ideological level , my way of interpreting reality and their way, my way and their way on taking action someone may be right or we all wrong ; in any way i will not play the pope claiming to know the way to Eden

There are systems that are so inhuman and oppressive that direct action outside and against the system, including violence, is the only alternative to knuckling down and effectively upholding them. In these contexts, I cannot condemn such action.

Soviet union, Russian coup, Venezuela , all ended up without bloodshed, there are always more than one solutions for a problem

However, other systems do include the mechanisms for self-reform. They may not be hugely effective, to start with anyway, which means that any reform project will be slow, and require years of patient, dedicated, slow work. Whenever such mechanisms exist, I do not approve of direct action outside the system — especially not violence.

You don't take hints eh ? representative democracy is not the end of the road , now if you ask me, where to go is more important than how . People feel like someone drop them to a vorvoro (ancient for cesspool) and they are sinking , they are hitting their hands and feet in odfer to keep their heads out without checking out if they are tall enough and can simply walk out of it

If, instead, you put all that energy to find people you can trust and work to elect them — starting with the micro level, school boards, municipal councils, and so on —, you would be working to reform it. You can't do it alone, for sure, but you're not alone.

Nice, we can even give school level sex education to gigolos . I never thought that we have that big cultural gap.
The other guy posted that we are all corrupted, if this is his interpretation of our hedonistic nature i wont waste finger tissue trying to explain what he can not understand .

That, Tragos, is why I don't have much respect for your politics. You've decided to fight to smash the system. Now the system is falling apart. If you get hit by a few of its bricks on the way, well, that's karma for ya.

Did you ever tried to listen ? all you doing is arguing . You are proposing dead old systems and practices based on silly assumptions that have been proven wrong , all the way wrong . We have applied democracy worldwide for like 100 years , does it work ? no it doesn't , why? because although we all love to show civilised and pretty at the bottom everyone talks about money , who have them and who doesn't …need to say more?
I would take any respect from you for "my politics" as an insult.

And a last thing , if you ever try and find reason behind what you previously thought as unreasonable then you will have every right to call me barbarian , now you don't.

Nope, never felt the need to put myself in a situation where nothing good will come and plenty of bad is just itching to break out. Kinda like in other threads where I've used the phrase, "asking for trouble". If I've got a beef with my government, I protest at the ballot box. That's how the system is supposed to work and it accomplishes the enviable goals of keeping me from getting kissed with a nightstick and nobody getting killed.

Just stay quiet at home , feel safe and be happy that Thomas Jefferson and George Washington didn't waited for the ballot box , if it works for you who am i to question it ?

You're right. Somehow I missed the part where dignified and evolved folks burn down banks. You've shown no remorse over that and instead have gone to great lengths to justify it while shifting the blame. I suppose that's not animal behavior though, since animals aren't really that devious.

Dignified ? oh come on , plutocracy robbed us took the money and go and we are now the pariahs of the planet (not the first time, we don't give shit about the planet anyway) . It is true that you are much more evolved, you have your shiny ballot box after all!

I have called you none of those things. I will say that you personally are guilty of excusing the murder of 3 innocents in your posts here, but none of those other labels have been tossed your way by me. Nor would I do so. Really, we're all guilty of that sort of thing anyway (for example, I don't apologize for Iraq and Afghanistan), but usually there's a level of remorse that goes with it. Ain't seen a hint of that from you in this situation so far.

Well , i am not excusing murder , i am trying to find reason , cause and effect .
To translate it into a situation you are common with you may never approve that Clinton bombed an aspirine factory in Sudan but you do understand the reasons and you will not go rampage pointing fingers and asking for heads to roll.

Apologies for being somewhat rude to everyone, it is not my style , the "do not understand" parts are not intended as an offence but explaining them would make this already big post look like the Illyad

(BTW, it feels very odd to be on the same side of a debate with dte. I feel I must have gotten something fundamental completely wrong, here.)
Hey, blind squirrels and nuts and all... I've given up on a proper conversion, but I still have hopes to get your "Commie of the Month Club" membership revoked by The Committee. :p

@Dteowner
First of all there are not any official evidence but i will say my opinion.
Maybe it's just a conspiracy theory but......an open bank open at the "heart" of demostrations, with all "left" wings protesting next to it.....hmmm
The people working there stated they asked to leave before of the majority of the people came. The respond was "whoever leaves, leaves permanently".
People working there stated internet connection was cut off.
The 2 security persons had the day off.......
Rumors about the owner of the bank having some ideas for a political carreer....

Maybe a coincidence, maybe not. No matter what, 4 young people closed their eyes.

I am not saying it was the police. I am not saying anything. Just being sceptical about everything.

Omega comment finds me more than nodding. Really good analysis.

@holerow
Characterizing and making assumptions for so many people based on your experience it's totally wrong.Even dangerous.

I'm curious, Tragos. You appear to be a communist that is using the anarchists to do the dirty/bloody work for your revolution. Is that about right? Not trying to be insulting about it--that's an honest question.

Not really because i didn't expect anything better from you , you are all eager to jump into aphorisms about things and situations you dont know shit about and try to struggle any different voice .
Your perception and my perception are different , i have sat down and listen the logic of different groups , their dreams and their principles , i may not approve their ways but i will not torch them because they are not like me.

You're too thuggish and immature to use the ballot box and elect leaders who don't suck. You instead have supported mass riots and excused the deaths of three innocent people and tried to blame it on the police.

I've listened to your "logic". I've found it the same logic as a little child screaming at their parents in a grocery store because they want some candy bar and then deciding to throw a tantrum and start breaking things because they were told no.

And I'll torch anyone who riots in the streets when the situation doesn't warrant it :)

You don't take hints eh ? representative democracy is not the end of the road , now if you ask me, where to go is more important than how .

Surely it isn't the end of the road. It is, however, the least bad system of government we've discovered to date.

Did you ever tried to listen ? all you doing is arguing . You are proposing dead old systems and practices based on silly assumptions that have been proven wrong , all the way wrong . We have applied democracy worldwide for like 100 years , does it work ?

Nowhere near worldwide, and yes, it does work reasonably well in many places. "Reasonably well" as in "better than any other system that has been attempted."

no it doesn't

Yes, it does.

, why? because although we all love to show civilised and pretty at the bottom everyone talks about money , who have them and who doesn't …need to say more?

Probably not. That was already pretty confusing.

I would take any respect from you for "my politics" as an insult.

Likewise, my little revolutionary. Likewise.

And a last thing , if you ever try and find reason behind what you previously thought as unreasonable then you will have every right to call me barbarian , now you don't.

I've just paid 1000 euros of my money for the privilege of calling you a barbarian, barbarian.

Just stay quiet at home , feel safe and be happy that Thomas Jefferson and George Washington didn't waited for the ballot box , if it works for you who am i to question it ?

Thing is, they were up against a system that did not have the mechanisms for peaceful change. That's why their use of violence was justifiable. You're not, and therefore your making of excuses for violence isn't. Strange that this is so hard for you to grasp... but, then, barbarians will be barbarians, eh?

I acctually don't think the people protesting where planning to kill the bank employees. When you protest and riot and set things on fire you're not always considering the consequences. It might be one of the reasons things were calmer today, because some people realised what could happen.

Yeah, I was relieved to read that people are bringing flowers to the place, and seem genuinely upset at it. I trust you did too, Tragos?

Oh, and, by the way:

129169053672915750.jpg

Another possible outcome is the reverse — that Germany will leave the Eurozone, which would lead to the complete disappearance of the euro and a return of national currencies. (I don't think this is very likely at this time, but it's not outside the bounds of possibility.)

No, this won't happen. We Germans certainly have no strong emotional relationship to the Euro, especially compared to our former currency. But we are the one country which gained most by sharing the same currency with our trade partners. Don't forget that more than 50% of our economy is based on export, and we export most to our European neighbours. In the last decade the euro gave us enormous economic advantages and saved many of our jobs. It is in our primary interest to support the euro.

And if I may say so and I hope our Greek friends here are not angry, but Greece is totally irrelevant to the euro. Even if Porugal, Ireland, Spain and Italy would face the same trouble as Greece, it still would not be a real problem. Yes, the euro would fall, but mostly because of psychological reasons. A few months later it would become stable again. In the meantime we could enjoy a massive boost in exports.

In my opinion there are three things we need to do to get things running again. First and foremost the Greek have to accept dramatic cuts in nearly every area. I really hope they will implement those laws and stop the idiotic riots. After that they need a huge amount of money from all of us in order to avoid chaos and further destabilization of their political system, which is still in its infacy. (A fact that's often forgotten.)

And finally they have to declare themselves free of any debt, which will unfortunately have some unfortunate consequences for the rest of us, especially for other piigs-countries. But there is no alternative, leaving the euro is not possible, it would just extend the pain for all of us for the next decades. In sharing most of their burden with investors worldwide, they have a real chance of starting fresh again. And the short memory and stupidity of those inevestors is something you can count for: in a few years they will have again access to normal financing.

I acctually don't think the people protesting where planning to kill the bank employees. When you protest and riot and set things on fire you're not always considering the consequences. It might be one of the reasons things were calmer today, because some people realised what could happen.
Given the strong odds that a riot will not turn out well, does it really take that much consideration to determine, "This won't end well." When any idiot can see some level of trouble on the horizon with the briefest glance, I don't know that you can hide behind not properly considering the consequences.

I'd also like to make a clear distinction between "protest" and "riot and set things on fire."

Protest is a fundamental right; without it, democracies can't function, any more than they could function without freedom of expression. Rioting and setting things on fire is another thing altogether, and in my world, that's only excusable in conditions where peaceful protest and democratic means of transforming the system are not possible. When these two start getting blurred together, it's indicative of serious problems with the polity, and when the protesters become enablers for the rioters, they become part of the problem.

Back
Top Bottom